No Rule CAL????

KER828

Are there any of the CAL's that do NOT have a Gazillion rules and complicated point systems? You know say we are going to crochet something and then do it and chat about it - Geeeze it is not brain surgery!

Maybe I'm the only one that feels this way!:think:eek

Are there any of the CAL's that do NOT have a Gazillion rules and complicated point systems? You know say we are going to crochet something and then do it and chat about it - Geeeze it is not brain surgery!

There are quite a few of them.

Go to the CAL section and browse.

A lot of them may not be seeing a lot of posts right now since a lot of us are making Christmas gifts.

Right now I'm working on an afghan for my little Goddaughter who lives in California with her Mommy (My BFF and sista from another mother for life!). I just worked in my second skein of yarn. It's gonna be nice and big so that Alana can use it for years and years to come. I'm using Red Heart KIDS Playful yarn and an I Hook.

What are you Crocheting today?

Maybe it's time for a coffee break :ccompute

or an Herbal tea might be a better choice :sleep

:rofl

I would love to be in a stashbusterCAL that didn't have any points or anything, you should just post pictures of what you have maid of your scraps.. :D

I would love to be in a stashbusterCAL that didn't have any points or anything, you should just post pictures of what you have maid of your scraps.. :D

That's the whole point of Show & Tell... to show off and talk about what you've created. The Stash Busting CAL works well because of the points system. It helps encourage people to use the yarn they have/buy/otherwise receive.

If you aren't seeing a CAL that suits your taste, why not start one that does?

The points systems aren't brain surgery either. They can be confusing for some, but if you have any questions the other participants are usually eager to help out a noobie...

CALs are created for different purposes to the suit the needs of a wide variety of people. If you don't like any of the CALs that you've run across, please feel free to start your own. Unlike the swaps for which we create an official yearly schedule, anyone is free to start a CAL at any time for any thing.

That's the whole point of Show & Tell... to show off and talk about what you've created. The Stash Busting CAL works well because of the points system. It helps encourage people to use the yarn they have/buy/otherwise receive.

Hehe, I know the point of the show and tell..... ;) I was just thinking that it would be a cool thread with a bunch of pictures of stash-projects. I bet the points work well.. I'll take your word for it. ;) I have joined for 2009.

:lol:lol I tried the stashbusting one and just couldn't keep up with all the points and I couldn't get my info posted in time so I eventually just had to quit that. I have put in to join Darski's 12 Scarves of 2009 CAL. It seems like it is going to be a lot of fun. One scarf a month and you just show your work, share your pattern if you can, and if you want you can explain what the colors represent to you for that month. It is going to be fun and no pressure of any kind. Just work on your scarf and share what you have made. I am excited about it and can't wait :cheer:yay:clap:hug

The miscellaneous afghan CAL springs to mind - you just have to be working on an afghan.

The SKY CAL "has" a points system, but it is completely optional. We mostly just hang out there, chat about our day and what we're doing and try to make each other laugh while drinking coffee. I think a few of us have needed new keyboards now and then.

Seeing as how it's been going for 1 1/2 years and had to be broken into four parts to be archived, you can tell we're chatty. We even get something done and post our pictures every now and then.

As Amy said - if you want a "No Rules" CAL, then just start one up. I'd just keep the intro post light, so that you don't upset those people that like the points systems. There are some of us *cough cough* that really like the numbers... (if you look, you'll see nearly ALL of the CALs I've started - stashbusting included - include numbers. I'm a math and statistics geek!)

Hope you find or create something you like!

Right now I'm working on an afghan for my little Goddaughter who lives in California with her Mommy (My BFF and sista from another mother for life!). I just worked in my second skein of yarn. It's gonna be nice and big so that Alana can use it for years and years to come. I'm using Red Heart KIDS Playful yarn and an I Hook.

What are you Crocheting today?

I'm working on hats and snowflakes - I made hats for two little guys (1 year olds) who have way bigger heads than I thought so I'm making new ones bigger, I'm trying to do an earflap hat for a great nephew, and snowflakes just because I love the pattern. I've been using the Caron Simply soft in grey for the toddler hats and ILTY in blue camo for the earflap hat. I love how the varigated yarn just makes it's own pattern.

Thanks for asking!

Maybe it's time for a coffee break :ccompute

or an Herbal tea might be a better choice :sleep

:rofl

You are sooo right!!! My house is in chaos because of baking and us being the wrapping station for my brother & sister-in-law (they drop off the nieces gifts and we wrap them for them), my car is being fussy about starting when it is damp out (son working on this) and I work for CPA's and we are gearing up for tax season - then they throw me a curve ball form church saying I'll only have half the time I need for a Christmas craft I planned a month ago because they need the kids to practice some singing yikes!!! I'm thinking run away from home is a better option!!!

So I may start one(after Christmas). What would be my responibilties to the CAL once I start it? What about after I finish my project do I still have to keep up with it? How would I keep myself as well as others modivated? What happens in no one joins?

Any tips from some of the members that have done one?

don't feel bad I have no concept of how to get in one or how they work!

Read the first post of the CALs. Those usually tell you how to join. Usually you can just join, post that you joined. It's mostly polite to ask, but most likely they'll say sure.

So I may start one(after Christmas). What would be my responibilties to the CAL once I start it? What about after I finish my project do I still have to keep up with it? How would I keep myself as well as others modivated? What happens in no one joins?

Any tips from some of the members that have done one?

What is a Crochet-Along ? has some answers to these questions.

Slow Crocheter Try looking at these:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=91723

This one is going to be pretty self sufficient with very minimal upkeep from the original poster. Everyone who joins will work on their own projects and just post what they are doing or have gotten done. And everyone who has joined will just support each other and give encouragement, and their are lots of different ways you can do that.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=90880 With this one darski will probably be more active as she wants to post links for free patterns that we can work on, as well as maybe design some free ones to share with us etc etc so there would be a little more upkeep to this one for her. But she has left the choices open to us to what colors and patterns we want to use, but she wants to actively participate and offer things to us and give us options of things to try etc etc. She basically wants everyone to have fun and enjoy making scarves and share our work. She has no set rules or regulations.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=90880 This one will definitely require a lot of upkeep as it is based on a points system and they do weekly tallies etc.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=68686 With this one there is quite a bit of upkeep too, as they all work on a certain snowflake every week so the original poster or designated person has to post the pattern every week that everyone is supposed to do.

I hope these help you get some insight as to how some of them work. I think most people who join the CALs are really good about posting to the thread daily or at least weekly and sometimes more often. Everyone likes to share pics of their progress , color choices and what they have completed so I don't think motivation will be too much of a problem. It is also nice to have a place to run to when you have a problem with the pattern or whatever, there are others there who are working on the same thing or maybe have used the same pattern and can help you out w/out starting a "help me" thread of your own. I don't think you will have too much of a problem of getting other villers to join in with you, as a lot of times you will find that several of us are working on the same things without really realizing it :lol or have the same interest and like to crochet the same things that you do. I say give it a try and go for it, you may be surprised:manyheart:hug

So this is more of the seat of your pants kind of thing. lol I just do what I want to do and see if any joins.

Ok thank you for all the food for thought. Think I may try to add a album to my photobucket to keep all the pictures. That way they don't go poof. lol

Slow Crocheter Try looking at these:

... some info deleted

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=68686 With this one there is quite a bit of upkeep too, as they all work on a certain snowflake every week so the original poster or designated person has to post the pattern every week that everyone is supposed to do.

... stuff deleted

Just as a side note regarding the Snowflakes CAL - it was started by one person (Tangled Up) but took on a life of its own and even though she disappeared in February, others took over and we have cooperated in keeping the thread current and posting a new flake pattern each week and just chatting about flakes and other things :D. Technically there is a "rule" that a new flake is posted every Sunday so folks can work them on Mondays , but we don't actually hold people to doing the flakes on any schedule (good thing or I'd be out on my ear :rofl). So, that said, if no-one else joins a CAL you start, you'll probably just let the CAL fade, but if you get a good group interested the CAL is likely to take on a life of its own and if you set it up as a minimal rule, minimal upkeep deal, you shouldn't need to feel responsible to maintain it... though subscribing to the thread and popping in occasionally would probably be a fun thing to do :P...

Cheers,

Just as a side note regarding the Snowflakes CAL - it was started by one person (Tangled Up) but took on a life of its own and even though she disappeared in February, others took over and we have cooperated in keeping the thread current and posting a new flake pattern each week and just chatting about flakes and other things :D. Technically there is a "rule" that a new flake is posted every Sunday so folks can work them on Mondays , but we don't actually hold people to doing the flakes on any schedule (good thing or I'd be out on my ear :rofl). So, that said, if no-one else joins a CAL you start, you'll probably just let the CAL fade, but if you get a good group interested the CAL is likely to take on a life of its own and if you set it up as a minimal rule, minimal upkeep deal, you shouldn't need to feel responsible to maintain it... though subscribing to the thread and popping in occasionally would probably be a fun thing to do :P...

Cheers,

I love to come in the snowflake Mondays one and look at all the pretty things you all have done, and I kinda was on the right track as I have noticed that a new flake is posted every week. Thank you for helping us try to figure out how some of these CALs are set up and tips for starting one.

That snowflake CAL is one of the reasons I want to learn to do thread. They are so pretty and would be great to add to Christmas Cards next year or the year after. lol

I just love joining Christmas Card exchanges(sent out about 44 cards this year.) and making it a little more personal by adding a snowflake would be really nice.

Archived