Temperatures soar well past 100 and no water available at Pine ridge

rosa

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It does sound very rough. I knit a hat, my first and only completed knit project, and now I can't find it! :( I looked everywhere for it. I think I must have thrown it away when I was doing a hurried cleaning. So I just sent the gloves I bought on sale and a coat I was given but never really wore, yesterday. I hope someone can get some use out of them soon.

Someone is giving me a new coat for our nine year old, and when he gets that one I will wash his and send it as it is about two inches too short in the sleeves! :lol But still in nice condition. We are getting hit with snow and cooooold here, the worst ever all winter. :wcold I am making granny squares, and a scrap granny afghan for one of my elders right now. I also have an 8" square my secret pal sent me, (thank you secret pal!) :D and one I made to go with it, to send out, and a 13" oddball square to send out. Every little bit helps, right? :hook

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/TPryst/th_Picture551.jpg[/img]"]th_Picture551.jpgth_Picture552.jpg

Tina

I have been working on knitting up some hats to send and i am going to check and see what we have for gloves and scarfs that noone is using...

Hope to get this package out by Friday..

• 2 weeks later...

"]th_Picture557.jpg

Here is a poncho I finished, for one of my elders' grand daughters' that she is raising. I hope to make a matching one and send it, with a Barbie doll for her, too. They work up fast and are good for warmer spring weather, when there is still a chill in the air.

Now that I have a car again I can go shopping more often during the day and get up to the post office if it's nice out or not! :)

Tina

I recieved a letter from one of my elders last week. She told me a little bit about the two grandchildren she is raising, and sent me a pair of beautiful beaded earrings! She said that is their way of saying thank you. :manyheart

[/url]th_Picture636.jpg

Aren't they beautiful? Just getting a letter would have been wonderful. :c9

Tina

• 2 weeks later...

MSNBC NEWS Snow closes highways in Dakotas

Up to 2 feet of blowing snow closed major highways on the northwestern Plains on Wednesday. The storm caused widespread power outages and was blamed for at least three deaths. A large part of the reservation is without power and may not have it restored for 24 to 48 hours.

Wow we are seeing Spring and the reservation the poorest of the poor are still suffering through the cold and terrors of freezing weather! Please continue to help in any way you can - Ms Kitty.

Talked with my elder this morning - she has a lifeline cell phone through the lifeline project - and she still has not heat or electricity - she said that they had nearly two feel of snow - and can not see the trailer house across the road as the snow is so deep - my prayers are with them - Ms Kitty

I wrote my elder (one of them) a letter yesterday. I can't call her since I don't have any minutes left this month but I am worried. I hope everyone will be all right til the power is back on. :snow

Tina

The elder project was updated a bit and we will be doing 2 sponsors for each elder. The need is so great! And I still ahve a few elders needing a first sponsor! If you're interested, PM me for details...I don't check in here as often as I used to.

• 1 month later...

Here is a MAM baby ghan I started I don't even know when. This is one of the projects I have finished lately. (It was in storage for over six months, so...) I'm sending it to the Childrens' Quarterly with my next package.

"]th_Picture877.jpg

Thanks for looking

Tina

• 1 month later...

please allow me to be helped how to get involved in making others :cheer:lol happy .im new here and see things i like i'd love to make things for helping ,Thank you please email me some information .God bless you Theresa :c9:manyheart

I know I'm jumping in here very late, but is there a web site for the organization you are talking about, for adopting Pine Ridge elders? Is this in South Dakota? I saw another thread that talked about Pine Ridge in Nebraska. Thanks. I'm sure this was already said numerous times, so feel free to e-mail me privately.

I should probably mention that there are now just 11 elders waiting for sponsors...1 being a couple. :-) Wouldn't it be fantastic to have a list of sponsors waiting for elders rather than a list of elders waiting for sponsors??

Hello everyone,

Being fairly new to this group i have been looking around and reading alot of the back posts and such like that and have noticed alot of talk about Rine Ridge in SD. I'm the project leader for the Pine Ridge childrens program and like Rosa said in one of her post the tempatures are reaching well above the 100's and some have no running water at all, Now for some of you that don't know me, I grew up On Pine Ridge for the first 15 years of my life, so i know how this feels to have no water, no power, and no way to escape the heat.. We have fiqured a way to help them stay warm, not if it was as easy to help them stay cool :( Maybe someday we will be able to work that.

One thing that we are doing is School starts Aug 14th at Pine Ridge, so we are doing a school supply drive, with your basic school supplies, pencils, crayons, glue, markers, such like that Now one of the ladies on Crafting for a cause her group of angels is making back packs, that they are selling for $4.00 i belive, Once they are ordered they are sending them to Pine Ridge where they will be filled with the school supplies so atleast some of the kids will be able to start school with everything they need :)

the Backpacks are being made out of girl and boy material barbie and camfoughle(sp) i belive.... if anyone is intersted in helping with this let me know and I'm then happy to tell you anything and everything i know :).... my kids always call me a Know it all so i might as well act like it:clap .

I look forward to hearing from everyone

Saula

Crafting for a cause

Project leader for Childrens Program

I had such fun last year shopping for school supplies! It's been a while since my kids needed any, but I was able to send a few kids off to school with the basics, at least. My daughter, 20, had a blast with it too. Reminded her of when she was that age.

Right now many stores are starting their school supply sales, so if you can, please send something to help these kids get started on a great year in school.

Saula- Do you pay for the backpack via paypal, then it gets shipped to PR from you? Just curious how that works.... I would love to sew a backpack, but... 1. My sewing machine is broken, and 2. I have never sewn a backpack. So, this would be my next best thing... :P I heard you have Barbie backpacks?!

WalMart here has crayons 10c a pack right now, other school supplies really cheap, too. I saw two packs of lined paper for $1, too, at King Soopers. :clap

Tina

I will start working on hats for now....maybe later when I have more yarn and money I will be able to make a afghan or something.....I am a bit over whelmed and hope I haven't bit off more then I can chew by joining this group....

Dewbaby Please don't feel discouraged:think I am one of the list Moms at CFAC and I will list some items that we can always use. Hats are wonderful to make for Pine Ridge as well as scarves. I am so happy you have come aboard:hug You are our first gal from Wyoming:cheer

Archived