Temperatures soar well past 100 and no water available at Pine ridge

rosa

Dewbaby, I'm the project leader for PR Elders. Please know that each items you CAN make and send is worth more than you can ever imagine. I don't care if it's a hat, a washcloth, or a package of pencils! The love that it brings and the encouragement that the sun really IS shining is worth a hundred times more. Not one of us can change everything there...or anywhere for that matter. But when each of us does what we can, when we can and it is done in love,compassion and understanding, we make a difference. Though each of us make only a small impact, on the whole, it creates a landslide.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi there I am part of CFAC too and am having so much fun - I have a group of kids working on making book bags right now - we just finished number 63! they are made of fabric reversible, and have back straps. If you would like a book bag to send with your school supplies or if you would like to help send book packs to the kids at Pine ridge you are welcome to pitch in we ask a suggested among of $3 per book bag - but hey every penny helps get them there - just sent a donation to cfac_group@yahoo.com through pay pal (note there is an underline in that name!) and put in the notes for book bags for Pine ridge, if we know that others out there are willing to help us we will keep right on making - remember that CFAC is a non-profit so keep your receipt.

I am ordering a couple (bookbags) to send directly to Pine Ridge, myself. I wish I could make my own, but 1. my sewing machine needs to be tuned up, and 2. I am not very good at sewing.... :P

Tina

Hello DewBaby,

I'm Saula with CFAC, I'm the Project leader for Pine Ridge childrens, and please don't feel over whelmed, We all understand how life is and sometimes things in life just don't go the way we plan for them to. Money is tight for alot of people, I'll tell you what one member does, she has been making hats and scarves all year long and just putting them into a box and once the box gets full she said she will mail it, but this way she doesn't feel pressured to rush and can work with her life and money, so when she isn;t making her hats and such, she is helping me out on doing some research on the internet for the different charities and such... trust me We have alot of areas, that we need some help with and it doesn't cost a dime just a little time on the computer. So if you ever do start to feel overwhelmed give me a shout and i can snap ya out of it real quick :)

For everyone else I want to Thank everyone our School supply drive is doing great, there are still some Book bags left The kids are going to be so happy to see their supplies and book bags, you all have made a bunch of kids very happy, not to menation how happy the angels where that made them.

If anyone has any questions or anything just give me a shout, and Dewbaby i look forward to hearing more about you on CFAC :)

Saula

I'm ordering 3 book bags today. When we went to do my son's school supply shopping we just bought 4 of everything we got...1 for him and 3 for Pine Ridge. Lots of stuff was 2/$1 so it rounded it out very nicely!:lol We picked up folders, notebooks, pens, pencils, crayons, glue, rulers and those stretchy book covers. I remember covering my books in paper bags! Back then it was either that or those paper book covers...these are soooo much nicer! And reuseable! And to boot were only like 68 cents!

Also in my travels I found 1lb bags of mill end yarn at Big Lots. It was 100% acrylic and feels like it's Simply Soft. So I picked some up in rose, blue and white and are destined to become baby items for Pine Ridge. :-)

Someone on here posted a while back, about how they wished that we could do something to help them with the heat. I've never made one of the "cool neck ties" things, but I saw the pattern for them on a website that makes things for the military. Anyway, I've never made one, but I wondered if someone from Crafting for a Cause would think these would be helpful? You have to be able to put them in the freezer/refrigerator, and if they don't have electricity, these are probably not helpful... Just a thought.

http://www.watersorb.com/polymer_cool_neck_bands.htm

Victoria

Victoria those ties you are talking about do help when it is so hot. Pamela and the Angels from CFAC made about 50 of those last month and sent them to Pine Ridge. :yay :yay

The ones she made you soak in really cold water for about 45 minutes. I believe they last for most of the day.

those of us at crafting for a cause have finally been able to set up a small cottage project at Pine Ridge - helping my people help themselves. We have our first bead work - beaded earrings and they are available through the web store - www.crafting4acause.com come take a look they are lovely. We will be adding prayer bags, dream catchers, necklaces, bracelets, and buckskin dolls, we are so pleased to be able to help them in this way - please share with others if you can - all the monies go directly back to the crafts-person - and when you maybe only have an annual income of $2000 a month or less - an extra 40-50 a month from sales of your hand made items can make a huge difference. Please share with anyone you can thank you - Wild Kitty

I wanted to tell you about my elder - her name is Betty - she is in a wheel chair - because she has no legs - they had to be amputated due to diabetes - she is about the age of my mom - which is not really old - 50s - but is old for the reservation as most people only live to age 55 or so - isn't that sad - well Betty does not write us - but I do not get discouraged when I worry about her I call a neighbor and she checks on her for us. She is not able to really leave her house because the road is dirt and there is no sidewalk for her wheelchair, but she sent me a picture and she has a smile on her face. I don't really expect to hear from her - telephone lines and such are not good on the reservation - I send my things with a confirmation so that I know she receives them - and I do it because I want to help not because I need a thank you in return.

I know that Mira still has many elders needing a friend if you can write a letter once a month and send a small gifty or puffy once a month and do it in faith and love you will find it a rewarding experience. Simone

Actually Simone, if we are real lucky, we will have a waiting list of sponsors wanting elders! I'm down to just 8 elders needing a sponsor! I have a few more names to call...then I can start a SPONSOR waiting list!:clap

I just started crocheting a baby bunting today, to send to Pine Ridge. Don't know why... I just wanted to. Guess it's never too early to start crocheting for winter. :hook I can't wait to see how it turns out, I've never crocheted one before. It has a matching hat and thumbless mittens that button (crocheted buttons) on to the sleeves. :c9

Tina

Too cute...I want to see pics when it's done!!! I was looking at the weather forecast for Pine Ridge today. It's in the upper 90's and they are in an extreme grassland fire danger right now! The last thing these people need is to lose their homes so they will be in my prayers that no fires start.

I have several elders who have come available...men, women and couples. A couple are raising children, 2 are father and daughter, one is in the beginning stages of Alzheimer's. While we are all still in the midst of summer...and man do I know it has been HOT someplaces...winter will soon be here...and all too soon for Pine Ridge. These people are going to need all kinds of warm weather gear to warm their bodies, but also a sponsor to help warm their hearts.

Well I had to frog it. :( I thought I would just go to WalMart and get more of the Mainstays yarn... Well remember a while back, did you hear 'WalMart isn't going to be carrying their yarn anymore'? I guess it was 'their' yarn (mainstays) they weren't going to be carrying. I couldn't find it anywhere... I couldn't understand the pattern anyway. It didn't make sense (I was trying to just do it as I went..) Oh well... :sigh

I got another letter from my elder (Well technically she isn't mine anymore, but..) I am sending her grand daughter a backpack with all the third grade supplies in it. (As soon as I get the backpack in the mail.) :)

Too cute...I want to see pics when it's done!!! I was looking at the weather forecast for Pine Ridge today. It's in the upper 90's and they are in an extreme grassland fire danger right now! The last thing these people need is to lose their homes so they will be in my prayers that no fires start.

yeah, that threw me for a loop! I went looking for some of the Mainstays as that is what I usually use...and nada! So...I guess I will be using RH now...lol! Unless I go to JoAnn's and get the Caron Wintuk...which I hate because the skeins are soooo small!

Alice is a peach...I like her. And it goes to show the bond that is formed through sponsorship. I have a package going out to her this week with school supplies and some beads for her so she can make more earrings. I was told she only gets the seed beads when someone makes a trip to the city...which didn't happen this year. Now people, if you haven't already, do check out the webstore and Alice's earrings under the cottage project...they are GORGEOUS!!! http://www.craftingforacause.org

the cottage project is now page 11 in the store.:) And there are even more items up that Alice made...drums, pouches, etc. All are exquisite! She sure is one talented lady! And they would make awesome holiday presents! I think the best part is that not only are you purchasing a fantastic gift for a loved one, you are also presenting Alice with a gift...the gift independence and being able to help sustain herself.

Wow I just looked at all of Alice's jewelry and drums, prayer pouches, necklaces!! :eek She is very talented! I actually have a pair of earrings she sent me to say thank you, they are beautiful. I feel so honored to have these.

[/url]th_Picture636.jpg

(Image should be clickable) I think I posted these here before, but they are worth posting again. To show you some of Alices' beautiful work.

Tina

Thanks Robin. Can you believe I haven't worn them yet? I have pierced ears but rarely if ever wear earrings. Maybe to a wedding or baby shower or something...

Anyway... since I frogged the baby bunting, I am making a baby sweater now, using Dots pattern for the Cuddle Me Hooded Baby Sweater. It's turning out nice so far. I'm on a sleeve now. Time to start making hats, scarves, mittens, blankets, slippers, and sweaters! :hook

I'm also working on an afghan for PR too. Probably will end up a twin size afghan....

Tina

Archived