Polka dots in crochet?

A friend of mine has seen some of my crochet stuff & asked if I could make her a cell phone holder. I said I would but she wants to know if I can make it with pink polka dots on it. I am scratching my head :think I told her I wasn't sure I could do that with crochet (she doesn't know the difference between crochet & knitting either). I don't knit very well, even though I could knit a phone pouch in stockinette stitch (not too hard but the polka dots would be difficult for me, I can't even change colors in knit lol).

I'm trying to think how this could be done with crochet other than sewing on round, pink appliques, which would make the polka dots raised. I thought about tapestry crochet maybe? But getting them with rounded edges would be difficult if not impossible. Or making little pink bobbles?...they would be raised of course but it might be cute if it didn't leave much gap around them.

Anyway I thought I'd come here first & see if anyone has tried to make polka dots in crochet before & how it was done & if it turned out well. I've crochet for years & never tried this because of the obvious reasons.

oh, forgot to say, to make it even more complicated lol, she wants it to be like her pink ipod sock, stretchy lol...I've seen it & it looks like I'd need to use sock yarn. It's small & stretchy.

What about doing a popcorn-bobble type of thing?? It'll give you 3-D dots, and you can easily change colors for your bobbles.

Dot

[As you can tell from my name... I am rather partial to polka-dots :devil]

Here is a vintage pattern with polka dots. If you don't want to use thread, you can use a sport or sock yarn for the polka dots and attach them.

http://*****************************potholders/polka-dot.html

The tapestry idea is great. Never trying tapestry crochet, I don't know how difficult it would be! Good Luck!

Whoops-guess the site is a no no!

My two cents...for something as tiny as a cell phone holder, you'd have to make it in thread to make the dots look like circles and not jaggedy blobs. I agree a bobble/popcorn stitch phone holder might be pretty but not so user friendly .

What if you make the "circles" tiny, just random 1-stitch color blips here and there? You could do that easily in Tapestry technique, and change the carried color every few rows.

OK, don't throw rotten eggs at me, my crocheting friends, but... as a knitter as well as a crocheter I think it would work better in knitting. Then to make the polka dots do a duplicate stitch in your contrasting color. Knitting is stretchy like your friend wants and duplicate stitch is a cinch to do, as compared to intarsia which is definitely NOT a cinch. Duplicate Knit Stitch

Thank you for all the ideas. I started playing around with it on a swatch. I didn't have much luck with my ideas. I first tried tapestry & it looked jagged. Then I tried making a small swatch in brown sport weight yarn & then using a yarn needle to embroider pink circles in a staggered pattern. I'm going to try your ideas next, & see how that goes. I'm determined to make these polka dots lol!

The only thing I can think of is to use the bobble stitch and make the holder in single crochet. That way, with a single crochet on either side of the bobble, there are no gaps. I just finished square #2 from Jan Eaton's 200 Crochet Blocks and it's kind of a raised polka dot effect.

My two cents...for something as tiny as a cell phone holder, you'd have to make it in thread to make the dots look like circles and not jaggedy blobs. I agree a bobble/popcorn stitch phone holder might be pretty but not so user friendly .

What if you make the "circles" tiny, just random 1-stitch color blips here and there? You could do that easily in Tapestry technique, and change the carried color every few rows.

I really like the idea of the polka dots made with thread. This is the only thing I can really picture looking super cute and functional. :)

Archived