Would lavender & dark purple be all right for a boy's baby blanket?

I am wanting to make a baby blanket for my preacher & his wife. They are expecting the child to be born end of January. His wife said it's a boy. So would a blanket in lavender & then outlined in dark purple be all right for a newborn baby boy or would it be too girlish?

I am using Hobby Lobby's I Love This Yarn.

I agree, I think it might be too girly done in the light purple and outlined in the dark. Why not do it in the dark purple and outline it in the light? Or do it in the dark purple and outline it in white?

Unless they have a passion for purple, I would think lavender is more for a girl or gender unknown yet type blanket. Now in my family, we're going to see a lot of purple as it's the color for Brain Surgery/Brain Trauma Survivors like my son.

I would think purple and light purple are a little too girly. Maybe a dark purple blanket with dark red border. Makes me think royalty (and church). :)

If it's a bluish lavendar it could be a stylish alternative to the traditional blues. But if it's a pinky lavendar I wouldn't use it. You could probably get away with a lavendar in a stripy blanket that alternated lavendar and dark purple rather than a blankie that's almost all lavendar with just a purple trim.

I agree- the lavender is too girlie. My baby boy had some lavender baby bottles that came in a set and I didn't like to use those if we were going out somewhere just in case someone saw the color and assumed he was a girl.

What if you throw in a darker, steel blue (something muted, not bright) and maybe stripe it with the lavendar as an accent? I think that would make it different, and more boy-ish.

Archived