Thread Pumpkin

Granny Square

:jackThis is the pattern from Oct '08 Crochet World. It's done in #10 thread and a rather large 2.25 hook per the pattern. I changed the leaf placement and used a single thread for the tendrils, a little hard to see in the photo.

post-13625-135897406568_thumb.jpg

I've decided 3-D blocking is not my thing...It was supposed to be more pumpkin-shaped with vertical 'bulges', but I couldn't get the shaping inserts to work and the glue was drying :eek...it's also a bit lop-sided...oh well I guess it looks more natural that way :lol

Thanks, all! Leanne, the crocheting part was easy, I know you can make lovely crinoline ladies so this is no biggie. The bottom is just a simple doily that isn't flat, the top is separate and is supposed to be glued on (but I didn't in case I get brave and try to re-block it).

What I would recommend to someone who makes this is do a trial blocking first by just wetting the pumpkin, not adding the glue, to see if the padding inserts they tell you to add around the balloon 'work'. Mine were too thick, and I couldn't get it fixed before the glue started to dry. Also, I'd pin the base to a smaller circle than they recommend, mine is awefully flat bottomed, more apple-shaped than pumpkin. Actually, this would make a cute apple for the teacher too; the pattern had 3 sizes, this was the large one.

:jackThis is the pattern from Oct '08 Crochet World. It's done in #10 thread and a rather large 2.25 hook per the pattern. I changed the leaf placement and used a single thread for the tendrils, a little hard to see in the photo.

Kay, I think it looks great :yay- in fact, I just sent you an email about this very pattern!:crocheting

Archived