Goddess Wallhanging

kookaloo_starr

Hi all

this is my first proper filet piece as I'm sure you'll be able to tell ;)

a couple of questions;

can you make out the Goddess symbol?

will blocking cure the wobbliness?

if you got this as a gift would you think "urgh, that's rubbish"? (discounting your religious leanings!)

001-9.jpg

thanks for looking :)

Blocking will help a great deal. If you want it to hang on the wall I would startch it a lot. This way gravity will have to fight with the starch.

I can totally see the goddess symbol in the middle. You did a wonderful job on it.

Make sure you post a pic of it after it's starched.

Yes and yes. Great job! Did you just increase the bookmark pattern? What's the size? Patty

Hi Patty, that's for the input :D

all I did was use thicker thread and a bigger hook :) it measures 5.5" x 16" approx.

I used this pattern http://www.llewellynjournal.com/article/1011

I use flat styrofoam (from packaging, etc) covered with plastic or aluminum foil, then soak my pieces in a mixture of stiffening solution (Stiffy, from Michaels, or Elmer's glue) mixed half and half, then pinned out to dry. In a sunny window, they dry quickly. And they hold up to hanging much longer than just starch. The pieces hold the stiffening better if they are washed, and dried, first. I think it takes out the sizing in the yarn or thread.

Okeydokey folks here is the post blocking/ stiffening pic. I had to Blu Tack her to the wall over my desk *lol*

003-1.jpg

002-5.jpg

I know, I still have that tail to get rid of ;) I like how stiff it came out, I used cornflour & water (I'm so ghetto ;)) and it worked really well. I also ran a piece of wire through the top though to add extra stability.

It came out great!

Funny, I recieved a bookmark of this pattern from a swap partner, and I decided to hang it on my wall as well!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived