Connected Hearts Filet Shawl CAL!

froggie

Another 'ville member and I are working on this shawl--it's the Connected Hearts Filet Crochet Shawl, designed by Sandi Marshall. We decided to do a crochet-along, and hope that some of you will join us!! This is a pretty shawl and it is done in filet--don't let that intimidate you, because this is not a difficult pattern. Plus, it uses worsted weight yarn and a G hook. So, if you've ever wanted to learn how do filet crochet, this could be the place and time to start!

I am just starting row 8, out of 50 rows. I'm using Simply Soft in bone and the good ol' G hook, and so far it's looking good!

So, take a look at the shawl and come join us!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Green = WIP; Purple = FO

1) Jana (froggie): Caron SS in Bone/G Hook

2) Yvonne: Caron One Pound in Soft Pink/G Hook

3) Lynn (homesteadingwife): Mainstay's WW in Soft Burgundy/I Hook

4) Tammy (wiz3283): Caron SS in White/G Hook

5) Joyce (jmccrochet): WW/H Hook

6) Susan (smith): Blood red ?

7) MissRach: RHSS in Soft Navy

8) Donna (Sewnsew): Caron SS in Bone

9) Terri (tukwut): Light Blue

10) Mary (hockeymomcrochets): Vanna's Choice in Terracotta

11) Brenda (TallGirl): Caron SS in Bone

12) Robyn (Jessica53) McGregor's Mohair+wool in rose pink

Round 2:

1) Jana (Froggie): Bernat Satin in Sunset/H Hook

2) Yvonne: RHSS in White/I Hook

3) Terri (tukwut): mulberry

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is really beautiful. I may have to join this CAL. How many skeins of yarn does it use? I couldn't find a recommendation. Of course, I may have over looked it. It is a beautiful shawl.

I'll let you know.

Welcome everyone!

Yvonne--What yarn & color are you using for your shawl?

Betty and Joyce--Hope you can join us!!

Homesteadingwife--The pattern says 8 oz. of WW yarn with a G hook, but it might take a little more than that, especially if you do the edging.

Other than some amigurumi, this will probably be my first finished object, so I'm psyched up to get this done! The pattern has not been overly difficult so far, and I think I've got the hang of it. I'm also liking my color choice--I have some bone Simply Soft (just enough, I think), and I think it's going to look really pretty when it's done.

ETA: I'm not sure what I'll do with the shawl when it's done, but I'm sure I can find a good home for it!

Please let me know what yarn/color you'll be using, and please post pics!! Oh--and please let me know your first names if you don't mind sharing them.

Froggie aka Jana in Denton, TX

Sandi--I wish you could join us, but when you do start this shawl just give a holler!

MissRach--Let me know if you decide to do this!

I am on row 12 now. I freaked myself out an hour ago, because I thought I was off and would have to frog the whole thing. After going through the work and the pattern space by space, I'm confident that I am not off--and so onward I go!

Jana in Denton,TX

I'm going to join. This shawl is just so pretty. I checked out my stash and found 2 8oz. skeins of Mainstay's WW Soft Burgundy, anyway it was left over from a afghan I had made. I can't get Simply Soft around here. Since I can't get my hands on something different than the simply soft, I'm going to try it with a I hook. See how it does with that. If not I'll drop it down a hook size.

Blessings,

Lynn

I have a question about this chart, when you have 2 black spaces next to each other do you put the double crochets in the dcs as well as the ch 1 spaces or do you just put the dcs in dcs? Im on row 4 and its the row that begins the first heart that is made, and in this row is the first time that there are 2 black squares next to another. Any help?

Yvonne

OK count me in. I just started this and I am on row 3 now. I am workin git between 3 other projects so I am not sure how fast I will get it done. I am using caron ss in white. I got a bunch of mill ends so I know I have way more than I will need.

I have a question about this chart, when you have 2 black spaces next to each other do you put the double crochets in the dcs as well as the ch 1 spaces or do you just put the dcs in dcs? Im on row 4 and its the row that begins the first heart that is made, and in this row is the first time that there are 2 black squares next to another. Any help?

Yvonne

For the solid squares on the chart you put a dc in the ch1 sp and the dc. I hop ehta make sence. If I can get my batteries charged I will try to take a closeup so you can see what I mean.

Wiz since you are an old pro maybe you can help with another question I have. Im using 3 ply yarn instead of the worst weight yarn and it hard to see the design in the shawl. Does the yarn weight really make a difference? Im debating on just frogging it and start over with some worst weight. What do you think?

Welcome Lynn and Tammy!! And thanks, Tammy, for helping us out and answering questions!!

I just finished row 13, and I think it's looking good. I still love the bone color and I can definitely see the pattern.

So, I'm off now to get ready for work. Will check in on this thread Wednesday night, so happy crocheting!!

I would love to make this shawl but I have no printer and don't have the time to sit infront of the comp. to make it :(

I know what you mean. I sit in front of this dang monitor and crochet a lot, when something kinda tickles my fancy.

I wonder if you could go to your local library and use their computer to print off the pattern and instructions? Anyway, we'd love to have you join us whenever you can!

Archived