How would you set up a crochet shop?

Well, I started an answer and got pretty far into fantasyland, then reread the original post so decided to come back down to earth. :blush

I would carry crochet thread in sizes 10-30 in a lot of colors. I would have yarns in different fibers---wool, alpaca, silk, linen, cotton, rayon, acrylic, bamboo, etc. etc. I would be sure to have laceweight, fingering, and dk weight, for crocheting delicate, lightweight garments. I would not try to carry the same brands as craft stores and discount stores, because I don't see how a small store could be competitive. I wouldn't ignore knitters, and would have swatches of yarns in both knit and crochet.

I would try to have the newest crochet books for sale, as well as whatever crochet magazines I could get. It would be wonderful to be able to sell Japanese crochet books, and European crochet magazines. Speaking of that, maybe I would have classes in how to read stitch diagrams, to go along with the foreign-language books and mags that have such great diagrams.

I'd have a table or two for people to sit at and read the books and crochet and knit. I'd have an easily accessible, clean bathroom for customers to use, so they could stay in the shop longer:lol

In my shop there would be no drinks or snacks, except for special events...I've experienced accidental spillage too many times. There would be no tv, and probably no music, because not everyone has the same taste in those areas.

I would have simple stuff, more of an amigurumi and clothing specialty,. My shop would be in a place with plenty space, with 2 display windows in front, one of them would have things I made, the other would feature things that customers would like to share in order to get commissioned and stuff (they'd rent the space to help me out.)

I'd carry every color in yarns, all kinds too. Acrylic, wool, cotton, thread, etc. As well as non yarn items such as felt, stuffing, safety eyes(because nowhere around here sells them and it would be awesome if a store did.) I would carry all sorts of hooks and knitting needles as well. Hopefully I would be able to afford to publish a book or two and I would sell those as well.

In my dreams a shop would have a place people could sit and visit while they crochet or knit, have coffee/tea and be able to get what they need - supplies, advice and friendship. :hook

I live next door to an LYS, but while she has some things for crochet (and she does know how to crochet) most things are geared towards the knitter. What would I do if I had the means to buy her out?

Well, I'd hire myself a knitting expert, because I would be the crochet expert...I'd hold both types of classes...I'd educate customers on what crochet can be besides thread crochet (which is predominately what the average German thinks crochet is suppose to be...thread, filet, doilies...they marvel when they see my work which is a bit of everything.)

One thing I would have in addition to high end yarns, would be more affordable acrylics like Red Heart and Lion Brand (I know some people think Lion Brand can be pricy) and the other standbys we tend to use in our crochet work.

I'd have a serious rack of books and magazines for sale. I'd have kits too...sometimes the best way to get someone introduced to crochet or knitting or whatever is to teach through a kit. Everything they need is included and if they are successful with the project, it might spring board them into more projects that are not kits.

I'd have the old standbys Boye and Bates for hooks, but I'd be on the look out for unique hooks to sell as well...(oh and yeah, for the knitter too.)

I'm make up a directory of places to visit on the internet...I'd be looking for local designers to see if I could sell their patterns...

and that's just what I could come up with in a couple of minutes. Who knows what else I'd have.

OH this has been my dream for the last 35 years or so. I had read an advertisement in one very old WOMEN AND HOME British edition which said if you have a 400 square feet of space available come join us and we will do the rest. A very beautiful picture of a craft store on the lower half of the page showed shelves full of colourful yarn, needles and hooks of all sizes and brands, Books and pamphlets all this with a cozy corner to sit , relax and pass your time at the same time amybe learn a craft or try your hand at some craft you have always wanted to do.

What I would surely surely have is two to four day workshops to introduce a new technique. Small workshops for specific projects like baby things, bags, wearables, home decore etc.

I still sometimes dream that I own such a shop and am showing off my talents to some eager young person or a granny who never had a chance to do any craft.

Well one can dream on and onnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

Here in india it would be the only shop as we hardly have any organised shops fro craft related things.

Haven't read all the replies, but loving the ones I have read! In my dream store, I would have a VERY small selection of METAL knitting needles. When knitters came in, I would tsk-tsk at them and try to teach them to crochet!

I have two different versions -- neither would have all of the treats (except for special occasions) as we cannot resist touching the yarn and yarn would get sticky and oily.

One version is the lovely chairs and high end yarns....as mentioned by others.

The other is more of a huge discount place with bins of mill ends, and bulk buying (kind of like Smileys) but with a simple crochet area for classes and visiting.

We really need more discount places.

My wife has a crochet shop and although some things may be different since we are not in the US, I think she has a good business plan.

She teaches for free, from opening to closing. All you need to do is come in, buy a ball of yarn and a crochet needle and tell her what you would like to learn.

She teaches all levels, if they have some experience they learn fast. If not then it may take a bit more time. The only requirement is that all supplies must be bought in the store.

What I have noticed is that this low start up cost for people who may have wanted to learn to crochet, but have never done it makes it easy for new students to start. After a while all of the students have become good friends and they like to come in and meet and chat while they crochet.

They also help each other with new ideas about how to do things and if someone starts something new, a lot of her other students want to try and do the same.

When some of her students are having problems in their life, they have a good support group of friends. The cost of the supplies may be a bit more than if they bought them outside the store and a few of the students end up doing this, but the majority don't. (those that do, tend to not come back and if they do then my wife is usually "busy" doing other things or helping other students and just doesn't have time to teach them)

Also my wife allows the students to display and sell their crochet projects in her store once they have finished. In most cases when the goods sell, the students just turn around and buy more supplies.

Recently on vacation I went into a needlework shop hoping to find something simple to work on. There was a beautiful kit with sailboats in blue :eek for knitters. Was so disappointed becasue I only crochet. My M-I-L spent a total of $70.00 while I left the store empty handed. I couldn't even find a pattern for crochet. She had beautiful yarn, but no ideas for me without some inspiration.

Also, I think there should be an area for the hubby to sit and wait while I shop. He tags along but I know he'd rather be elsewhere. Maybe a mens corner.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow!!! These replies are fantastic and what fun!! I was on vacation last week and have just had the chance to sit down and read through them. Isn't it nice to sit and dream?

Some of you have such a talent for writing too!

Teakaycee, Your description was especially enchanting!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I love Teakaycee's and Hookmaster's...I think I'd blend most of that, and make sure to have a huge selection of books, esp. hard to find patterns, and a internet-ready computer with printer for finding and printing patterns (have pattern, buy yarn :D) Food corner would be simple, unless combined with a pastry shop (at which point foodies aren't free) but food would be separate from other areas to avoid yarn and book damage. Clubs and night-outs, crochet circles (no specific project, and themed nights)...

All fantasy land of course.

Oh, I'd want to have a huge variety of big-name and small name stuff, especially the fun "organic" or natural fibres like cotton, bamboo, linen, soy, etc etc. (and some wool, I guess :P--I'm allergic) and a good selection of hand-dyes (hey, that'd be a fun summer class/activity to offer). (ETA: and tons of great threads!! need threads, can't get enough threads)

Employees would get to purchase yarn at cost to make store-models (which after displaying for a season, they get to keep). Customers would also have a place for show-and-tell/sell.

I'd love to get it all into a big old-fashioned house, if I can't get a log-cabin.

Hahahaha I'm dreaming and I'm in fantasy land. weeeee

Let's see...

Definitely someplace to sit and work, chat, share, and learn with comfy furniture - chairs, tables, a couch or two, a cushioned window seat looking into a garden or something scenic, and maybe even tables, chairs and benches outside for those nice days. I wouldn't have any food or drinks except water, simply to keep the yarn and supplies clean, but you could bring your own as long as you kept it away from the merchandise. I would have a variety of inexpensive items as well as specialty items. Mill ends instead of chain store yarns (could be the same brands, only less expensive) and generic threads of all sizes on the cheaper end to fine wools, silks, hand dyes, and the newer natural blends with silk and wool threads. I would have the typical Boye hooks as well as wood and bamboo ones (I've never worked with one), but no plastic. I think I would carry cross stitch and embroidery supplies as well, like DMC and Anchor as well as crewel threads. I'd also have the steel yarn needles instead of the modern plastic ones. I would have books with patterns, stitches, and instructions for beginners. I would also have a library of out of print books that could be checked out or used in the store, particularly ones now on the public domain.

As far as I know, there are only two lys within a 20 minute drive from here. One is a knitting store - they carry hooks, but I doubt that the owner knows much at all about crochet, plus she always seems to be scowling.:( The second one is actually a wool shop geared mainly towards spinning. They don't carry any fiber or yarn that isn't wool!:manyheart I've never been there - the only time I've tried, I ended up stuck crosswise in their driveway on the ice and snow.

My dream...

As I'm working, some peole can join in a get to gether (like of like a scrap booking crop party [never been to one, but heard of them]). They crochet and chat and get to know each other. I join as I can.

Classes of course. Different ones at different times with different levels.

Books and leaflets. Lots. Magazines too.

All kinds of yarns for all kinds of tastes.

Hooks and other supplies

Discounts on total purchase not just one item.

Comfy chairs and let people crochet (or knit) during hours. That motivates me to crochet and want to crochet (and buy more yarn).

Computer with printer and internet access with home page to a pattern listing site (or Crochetville). Either they can use it or staff can help.

Knitter on staff (I don't knit). I would like to have both as I like knit items, just don't like to do it.

Not sure about other craft items, as I would want to have a large supply of yarn.

Display of finished items.

Display of for sale items from people in classes (they take the classes they get special services, like discount cards when they complete a class, discount on next class).

OH! Free classes for beginning. Maybe a quick 2 hour basic, just to get started, like learning to make a one skien (well about 5 oz of yarn, their choice) scarf in chain stitches and double crochet. Maybe invite the other teachers to help for more one on one and this way they can "advertise" their classes too.

No food or drinks to get on the supplies, but like others said, if they're careful they can bring their own and maybe on get-to-gethers. Probably water though.

Easily accessible through the aisles for everyone, including those with armful of yarn because they thought they were going to pick up one skien and liked a color and bought more then they should (not like I've done that before:blush).

Debbi

I like most everything people have said, especially Teakaycee. Lovely description!

I would add a yarn ball winder so people who buy yarn in hanks can wind it easily. Also, a mirror, so they can hold yarn up to themselves and see if the color is good.

A LYS in my city, so I've heard, has a "knitting garden" out back with chairs and lovely foliage, to enjoy nature while you craft. It also has a felting closet with washer and dryer, free to felt your items at any time! THAT is awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny you should ask. I've been fantasizing since Saturday, when my DD took me to her LYS, The Yarn Nook, in Lafayette, LA. It was so peaceful and welcoming in there. Soft music playing. All manner of hooks and knitting needles. Books and pamphlets. Since we left, I've been thinking what an ideal (dream) job that would be for me.

There was a comfy looking chair in the display window, with a knitted "sampler" afghan draped across it. I enjoy knitting too, but am not as comfortable with it as I am with crocheting (my first love). My daughter doesn't crochet or knit (though a friend taught her to knit a couple of years ago), so I didn't want to keep her in there too long, so we left pretty soon. All weekend, I kept picturing myself as the storekeeper...sigh...

Id honestly like it kinda like Barnes and Nobles. A little Cafe' where you can get food or drink...

Music and internet available also =)

Different areas for seating for those who want to come and read pattern books or crochet/knit.

Plenty of supplies to shop for.

I also wouldn't mind a "sampling" station where you can make test swatches of yarns to see how you like them because I hate loving the look of yarns on the shelf but then getting them home and trying to work with them is a nightmare. I used to always go into this local scrapbooking shop and you could go through and pick out product you wanted to use, then go to a room with huge tables to lay things out and make a page, then you would take tickets with priced up to the cashier to pay.

I'd also have some sort of shop where I could sell my work possibly. I do a lot more than crochet so I think that would be fun.

Id want people to be able to come to classes for crochet or knitting also, kinda like HL or Michael's does.

Oh my list keeps going... :manyheart

Funny you should ask. I've been fantasizing since Saturday, when my DD took me to her LYS, The Yarn Nook, in Lafayette, LA. It was so peaceful and welcoming in there. Soft music playing. All manner of hooks and knitting needles. Books and pamphlets. Since we left, I've been thinking what an ideal (dream) job that would be for me.

There was a comfy looking chair in the display window, with a knitted "sampler" afghan draped across it. I enjoy knitting too, but am not as comfortable with it as I am with crocheting (my first love). My daughter doesn't crochet or knit (though a friend taught her to knit a couple of years ago), so I didn't want to keep her in there too long, so we left pretty soon. All weekend, I kept picturing myself as the storekeeper...sigh...

The Yarn Nook is still open? I thought they closed up!

Having actually thought about this, I know exactly how I'd set it up. :)

The building itself wouldn't matter. But, I'd have Cappuccino and espresso available. The walls lined with yarn, hooks, and pattern books. I'd have different lessons on different nights...(IE: Mon - Crochet, Tue - Knitting, ETC.) I'd have greenhouses outside for herbs, and plants all over inside. There would also be a section for books on herbal healing, and those types of things. Also, I'd want a section for homemade candles and potpourries. Some day, this will happen. :)

Archived