Question about "ergonomic" Provocraft hook set?

tiniree

I saw the interchangeable hook set from Provocraft with the different style handles and I have a question? For those of you who have posted that you love them: How do you NORMALLY hold a regular hook, like a knife or a pencil?

The reason I am asking is that I hold my hooks like a knife and it seems that the ergonomic handles I've looked at are for those that use a pencil-type hold normally?

If you do hold a regular hook like a knife, is the handle on this set comfortable for you?

Marie

I'm not sure about the knife-hold but I'm a pencil-type holder and I had to give my Provocraft hook set to a neighbor because it hurt, not to mention the fact it was SO difficult to change the hooks that I had to depend on my husband 100% to do it for me. It was a complete waste.

After that I bought the Clover Soft Touch set and it has been heaven on my hands (I have a connective tissue disorder that stiffens them, and extensive nerve damage). I tried bamboo as well since so many here swear by them but bamboo caused even more pain than the Provocraft.

So anyway if you know someone local by chance that has the set, such as if you are in a local CGOA group or go to a sit-and-crochet group at a LYS or whatnot, I'd suggest trying them there before spending the money.

Funny you said that, I'm a pencil-gripper and I can't imagine using either of the 2 handles it comes with, which is why I never considered buying one (I've never tried it, either).

I second the vote for the clover ones, also those slip on grip things if you can find them.

I'm also a pencil-gripper and have the provocraft which is okay but I need to get used to them. I normally use the clover touch. They're a blessing for crocheters with or without hand problems.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been tempted by these. I can't use the Clover hooks because they are too short for me. Usually I buy the foam hook covers, but I've learned from ugly experience that these can wear and rip over time. The one on my favorite Boye J hook is all ratty and falling off.

had to jump back in here

I have both the provo and the clover and LOVE them both - for different projects and different reasons - i havent used the straight handle on my provos much as i like the trigger really well and just have tried the other (fell into 'like it so why change') but I do love my clovers too!!

As i said i hold my like a knife and have found that the clover and provo do seem to help my hands

wish provo would make the steel thread hook inserts now and i would buy them!!

I looked at these. it seemed like they are designed to have the hook on top? I hold mine with the hook on the bottom. I don't know if I'm weird or if I was looking at it wrong?

I have a whole collection of different crochet hooks. My favorites are the Provocraft set and Clover SoftTouch, which you can now get in steel hook sizes. :clap I am also a knife gripper. If you click on "grips" on this site, http://www.menotriggergrip.com/. It will show the different ways the trigger grip is meant to work. I actually have 2 sets of the Provos, thank you A.C. Moore/JoAnn 50% off coupons! I was having trouble with the yarn snagging on one hook during a recent project. I switched to the hook from the other set and had no difficulties. When my wrist hurts, I find the trigger grip to be a life saver!

Denise

(new to Crochetville!)

• 1 month later...

Archived