Wrong Hook!

Lately I have been picking up the wrong hook when I am working on a project. I will be crocheting happily along and then it dawns on me I picked up the wrong hook! So I have to frog it and start again. I'm just glad I realize it before I get too far!:D

I have done that so many times that I have lost count. I will make several sts and think ..something is just not right here..lol..then look and see that I have picked up the wrong hook! And the bad thing is sometimes I don't notice it in time!

I was at the doctor's office one time and knew I had a long wait, but I wasn't too upset, as I had my project with me. I pulled open my bag, got out the baby blanket I was crocheting, reached in for the hook, and...IT WAS THE WRONG ONE!!! There was no way I could crochet with a smaller hook. I had to sit there for 1/2 hour reading inane magazines instead <LOL>.

You can make stitch markers with those alphabet beads they sell by the bag so you know what size hook you were using. Especially helpful if you are like me and have many projects going at once. Otherwise, keep each project in a ziplock bag if possible and include a note with hook size and project description, or just keep that baggie in your project bag.

thats why i have a lot of hooks i put the pattern yarn and hook all in a bag then whichever one i pick up has the right hook

now if i could keep track of my scissors - they aways seem to be gone when i need them!!!!:devil

This has happened to me more times than I can remember. I finally made my own stitch markers, as Kathy said, out of the alphabet beads and safety pins that are made to hold on buttons. Don't know what they are actually called but they are small and have a bump on the side and no loop at the bottom to snag the yarn. It is pretty easy to straighten them out, slide the bead onto the bump, then bend the pin back in shape. The bead stays on the side of the pin and makes a pretty nifty stitch marker.

I leave the hook in the project....lots of WIPS = lots of "missing" hooks.... then I need to purchase more hooks :lol

Yarn is the same..... and you wonder why I have a stash:think

Don't you just hate that !!! I did that once and that was one time too many for me !!! When I need to take a break...I weave my hook in my project and leave it there...then I will always have the correct hook with the project. If I am working on more than one project that uses the same size hook...I use one of my extras in that size. Of course we all have more than one hook in each size don't we :hook!!! I have atleast 3 in my most favorite sizes.

lol i have a blanky that i made that i used the wrong hook after starting with the right hook.. and i couldnt be bothered frogging it when i finally realised lol

I take my crochet with me everywhere. Once I opened my bag and found NO hook :eek. I spent 45 mins. on a bus/train going :loco. I had to stop at A.C. Moore and get another for the trip home. Now I always double check my bag :yes.

Ellie 13

I have a few sizes that have similar colors, grrr makes me frustrated at times. My fav hook is a K and I have two but I always seem to need more. I have 4 G hooks and I never use that size, how did that happen?

thats why i have a lot of hooks i put the pattern yarn and hook all in a bag then whichever one i pick up has the right hook

now if i could keep track of my scissors - they aways seem to be gone when i need them!!!!:devil

I tend to have extra hooks because I loose them or the hook is with a WIP. When my husband was able to crochet too, he would use them too. That was the fastest way to loose track as they tended to stay with his WIPS that are now UFOs.

Dragonpuck: You need to buy more scissors to go with the extra hooks.:yes

Idyer1. Since you use the K hook so much, they were whittled down and changed into G hooks or check endweaver9000's pockets to see if he is still holding them hostage for his slippers.:D

:lol

Mwah ha ha!:devil Great idea!

:rofl Just make sure she has one for the slippers!

And pick out the yarn -- I don't think you wanted purple and turquoise slippers. Then again it's been 2 yrs, so you may have figured that you would take them anyway.

But seriously, for this thread I believe the stitch markers with the letter are the best solution. I just need to make me some.

Katie G: I believe those pins that hold buttons onto the card are just tiny cotter pins.

Archived