King Size Blanket

JennyBunny

Question

I'm hoping to make a king size blanket for my bed this winter. and have no idea of what pattern I want to use.

Here's what I want for it, and maybe someone can point me in the right direction:

A take-along project that has a minimum of joins

A single color (I'm currently thinking a pale orange or yellow to put a light color into my bedroom)or at most three (the yellow/orange, red/burgundy, pale green)

Difficult patterns aren't a problem, but nothing with too large 'holes' for little boys to pull apart which rules out a standard granny square

No Tunisian Crochet - never learned how to do it properly.

15 answers to this question

I'm doing a king-sized blanket right now. DH begged me to do it and has told me completely what he wants--king-sized, one color (actually it's RHSS variegated, Aspen Print), and only done in HDC b/c he didn't want any holes or even a pattern of any sort, and 3-stranded.

Good luck and happy crocheting! It is taking me FOREVER and is difficult to maneuver because of the sheer width.

You could try making long strips......perhaps 8 to 10 inches wide, do a lot of different decorative stitches and then join them all together. It is portable, and depending on how you choose to join the pieces.....not very holey.

I feel your pain. I am making a twin size in cream and tan, doing it in half double crochet. I was overwhelmed at first, but just decided that I would do 2 rows a night and be done with that one. Then I go on to something else. I can't wait to finish it as it is for MEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!! Everything I have ever made has been for someone else. Just don't push yourself. Small steps. Put it away if it becomes a chore. I made a double sized one in single crochet for my eldest son. He started nagging me to get it done and it sat in a bag for 2 years. For some reason, he doesn't bother me anymore. Hmmm. Have fun with it. It feels awesome to finish a huge project! You can do it!:yes

I did a ripple blanket in 2 colors for my full sized bed. All in all the blanket went quickly. It took me less than a month to complete and part of that time I was in school so I didn't work on it much and I also had to wait and get more yarn in the middle of it. I chose to make it warm and use 2 strands. Boy is it heavy! Now if only I would sew in the last half of the ends.....

I definitely second the "strip" or "mile-a-minute" idea. I made an one-piece afghan big enough to cover my queen-sized bed and was just about dying at the end of it. :blush Actually, it didn't start out that way--it was supposed to be a regular-sized afghan, but I had tons of leftover yarn, so I kept going :lol. It looks great on my bed, but if I had it to do all over again, I'd definitely design something in strips instead.

When I was single (and actually had A LOT of time to myself:sigh)...I made this afghan..........for my parents' King sized bed.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h157/DKousmat58/Crochet/P9020158.jpg

It took forever (over a year off and on).....and there was so much weaving in.....I wouldn't have patience for it now:no DEFINITELY go for the MAM thing....it is still portable, but fast!

When I was single (and actually had A LOT of time to myself:sigh)...I made this afghan..........for my parents' King sized bed.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h157/DKousmat58/Crochet/P9020158.jpg

Ladycrochat: That is a beautiful blanket! I can see why it took a year, thats ALOT of squares and small ones at that. :hug Thanks for the pic, I love it but I know for a fact that I don't have the patience for all that weaving.

I tried to make a king size blanket It took me 3 mos. and it ended up fitting a king and twin size bed together. It is so big I do not know how to take a pic. of it.

I don't know anything about the mile-a-minute method but it sounds great LOL.

It has been taking me 2 hours to get 2 rows done on the King-sized blanket I'm doing. Yes I'm a slow crocheter, have Ehlers-Danlos so my hands aren't real great, but it is finally starting to take shape. I keep a chair on both sides of me so as I go I can toss the finished end on one chair and the chair on the other side of me is where I draw from. It's odd but it works for me.

Right now I feel like this is going to take years LOL.

I was going to make a king sized blanket, but realized that washing it would be a nightmare. So instead I am going to make 2 twins that I can tie together, then take apart when I want to wash them.

Archived