11yo meets filet

I've posted once or twice before with projects my 10/11yo daughter has made. She is definitely talented when it comes to handicrafts--whatever she attempts, she does well. Her tension is perfect, so things like beading and crochet work well for her.

I'm doing the filet swap, and she was watching me work on a filet project. "Is that double crochet?" she asked. (She just recently mastered dc.) I explained how filet patterns were worked, with dc and ch stitches, and showed her the way they were graphed. Anything you can draw on graph paper can be crocheted, I elaborated.

She immediately went for the graph paper and made this design.

2646505508_4ce1000888_m.jpg

And after I explained the math of getting started, she took off and made this.

2646505466_4201b75e27_m.jpg

And then she made another one, giving one to a friend.

Now she's mooching my crochet magazines and oohing and aahing over the filet patterns. "I could make this!" I think she's "hooked." Again!

Oh my gosh, perfect!! Tension is great in that heart block.

Those of us who have oohed and aahed over your thread creations, however, know exactly where she got her talent from.

A big pat on the back to your daughter for her accomplishment. You, too, Mom. Patty

Thanks for all your comments. As far as sharing my hobbies with my daughter goes--I am loving it, and I have waited a long time. My oldest is a boy and since I mostly work with thread and lace, it's anathema to him. I had high hopes for my creative left-handed oldest daughter (almost 15 now), but although she draws and paints beautifully, she is "not interested" in fiber arts. So, my 11yo is coming of age and really has a knack for crafts AND she loves to do it. I'm definitely happy about it, and I look forward to many years of sharing our love for crocheting. Maybe later I'll get lucky with the 4yo, too....

Sounds to me like talent with fiber and a hook definitely runs in your family! One thing I can say with certainty is that she couldn't ask for a better mentor. :)

Archived