Go Steelers! Mile a Minute Afghan

FootballMom

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that my Steeler blanket "thread" got resurrected after 6 months...after all, we are nearing the playoffs and we are all busy cheering on our teams.

The blanket actually went to Heinz Field in Pittsburgh yesterday with its new owner, my sister, and helped the Steelers get their big last minute win against the Cowboys. The Steelers win over the 'Boys also claimed the division title for the Giants, who unfortunately suffered their 2nd loss of the season against the Eagles.

Thanks to all for your kind words. This was truly a labor of love...with 60 football motifs, this afghan is one that I would not want to do again too soon.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I was happy to find this page, for I am one person who has made three of them so far. Yes, it is alot of work, but, so worth it at the end. I made the first one for my son who played football in H.S., using the school colors.And others for family members. I will be starting one for my boss shortly. One question to football mom. How did you sew the footballs together? Because mine looks a little bumpy sewn together.

I was happy to find this page, for I am one person who has made three of them so far. Yes, it is alot of work, but, so worth it at the end. I made the first one for my son who played football in H.S., using the school colors.And others for family members. I will be starting one for my boss shortly. One question to football mom. How did you sew the footballs together? Because mine looks a little bumpy sewn together.

I have to chuckle each time I see my Steeler afghan thread pop up again! And maybe it brought them good luck, since it went to Heinz Field for the 2 home playoff games!!

To answer your question, I just sewed the footballs together using four overcast straight stitches, that laid next to each other, like an embroidered "satin stitch." Just dont pull them too tightly.

And I do agree with you about how much work it was (the footballs part) and also that it was definitely worth it in the end. But it is an afghan that I will probably not make a second time, unless lightning strikes, and my son gets to play in the NFL. :)

Archived