Project Linus Thank you! Please read!

Hello everyone at the Ville!

Just wanted to share my experience and hopefully motivate people to help out!

My new baby daughter was born early Sunday, May 11th (Happy Mother's Day to me!) We had some major complications through out the labor which was enduced Thursday, May 8th. I came down with an infection during labor and this caused my daughter to get Phneumonia (spelling?) She had to stay in the NICU for 7 days. This was an incredibly hard time for me as it is very hard to leave your child at the hospital as you go home. The second day we were there, the nurse in the NICU gave me a beautiful, hand made crocheted blanket for my daughter. I cried and I cried hard! As I was looking at the blanket I noticed the Project Linus tag in the corner. I knew right away that someone very special made this blanket! I almost felt guilty for taking the blanket as its something I very easily could have made myself! I insisted the nurse give it to someone who needed it more than we did. She explained to me that "needing" the blanket did not necessarily mean a physical need for the blanket but emotionally we needed the blanket. Boy, was she right. The blanket comforted my daughter while she was in the NICU and is a great reminder of what we went thru! It also reminds me I have a great talent that can be used for a great cause! I will now be "paying it forward" and starting my first Project Linus blanket for donation! If anyone would like to join me, I am considering starting a Project Linus CAL. Please let me know if you would like to join! Also, Thank you to the very special person that crocheted this blanket! Your generosity will never be forgotten and is an inspiration to me and my family! :hug:hug

When my 4th (and last) child was born, she also spent her first week in a neo-natal hospital (9 days). I agree--it was so very, very hard. I felt cheated out of those first days, but thankfully they are a distant memory now, and will be for you, too. When I think of the yucky institutional clothes and blankets they used for my daughter, I can well imagine how a special blanket like that would have felt. :yay for Project Linus!

Bless you and your little daughter.

Congrats on the new baby girl! :cheer:cheer I cannot imagine being told I had to go home without my new baby. :( But I am very, very glad that all worked out well for you and your new little one. And hurray for project Linus.:cheer:cheer You should post a pic of her new blankie. wouldn't it be wonderful to find out one of our very own here at the "ville" made it.:yay:yay

Debby

Congrats!

Both of my little ones were NICU babies. With my daughter, who was much more critical than my son, I will never forget going in one day to sit by her isolette and finding a Project Linus blanket draped over it. I have it tucked away for her to always keep.

Hello everyone at the Ville!

Just wanted to share my experience and hopefully motivate people to help out!

My new baby daughter was born early Sunday, May 11th (Happy Mother's Day to me!) We had some major complications through out the labor which was enduced Thursday, May 8th. I came down with an infection during labor and this caused my daughter to get Phneumonia (spelling?) She had to stay in the NICU for 7 days. This was an incredibly hard time for me as it is very hard to leave your child at the hospital as you go home. The second day we were there, the nurse in the NICU gave me a beautiful, hand made crocheted blanket for my daughter. I cried and I cried hard! As I was looking at the blanket I noticed the Project Linus tag in the corner. I knew right away that someone very special made this blanket! I almost felt guilty for taking the blanket as its something I very easily could have made myself! I insisted the nurse give it to someone who needed it more than we did. She explained to me that "needing" the blanket did not necessarily mean a physical need for the blanket but emotionally we needed the blanket. Boy, was she right. The blanket comforted my daughter while she was in the NICU and is a great reminder of what we went thru! It also reminds me I have a great talent that can be used for a great cause! I will now be "paying it forward" and starting my first Project Linus blanket for donation! If anyone would like to join me, I am considering starting a Project Linus CAL. Please let me know if you would like to join! Also, Thank you to the very special person that crocheted this blanket! Your generosity will never be forgotten and is an inspiration to me and my family! :hug:hug

What a wonderful story! Congratulations on the birth of your daughter! :c9 I love your idea of "paying it forward" That's why I try to participate in anything that benefits our men & women in uniform. I am so grateful for the safe return of my husband from his deployments. Plus, it's a way to support my daughter as she prepares to deploy as an army medic.

When you decide to start a Project Linus CAL, I'm in! :hook Our family has been blessed in that we haven't been in a position to receive a "Project Linus" blanket. But, I think it's a blessing to be able to do this for other families.

I had twins and baby #2 had to stay in NICU for 2 weeks. She was born too small and had feeding problems. I carried them for 38 wks. I went home with one of the girls and had to leave one behing. Tough times.

they are 25 now, both married. The one I took home has a little boy, the one I had to leave in the hospital is pregnant with her first child due in Nov.

Lemme know when you started the CAL.

Congratulations...

I have done several blankets for Project Linus and have one ready know and working on a second one. Let me know when you start your CAL and I'll save these for you.

Project Linus has always been pretty close to my heart I have donated my blankets to them for about 5 years now and will continue to do so knowing that it will bring comfort and joy to some one as in your situation there is no greater feeling than that.

Yup, that's the kind of story that makes us blanketeers cry. I always have a PL blanket on the hook (right now it's a pale blue infant-sized ripple). This is the volunteer organization of choice for my mother and me. She's made over 150 blankets, and there are members of our chapter who've made hundreds and hundreds more than her--those women are amazing! And yup, there's a lot of love and wishes for health and happiness that go into every stitch. I'm so glad you were comforted by a PL blanket--that's its job and our heartfelt hopes when we make them.

Patty

I hope everything is going well for your family now, and thanks for sharing your story. I make blankets and clothes for childrens hospitals and Project Linus, and it does give me a boost to hear what happens to them after I hand them over. :)

Sorry I'm so late to congratulate you on your new daughter! What a wonderful story about the blanket. When my son (29 years ago) had to stay that extra week it would of been wonderful to have something so special. I think I too will be seeing about making some for this project:yay

Congratulations on your little one! I started crying just reading your message, I'm such a softie for children and just couldn't imagine anything happening to my two. I envy your strength through the situation.

I would definitely be in on a Project Linus CAL. I love crocheting baby blankets and would love to donate to this wonderful cause. I bet you'll get a great turn out if you start a CAL :)

I've been "threatening" for the last couple of years to get involved with Project Linus.

If you start this CAL, I will definitely send you anything I get made.

I couldn't have said it better! Me too!

Project Linus is my favorite charity to crochet for. A coworker got me hooked (hehe) on them when she told me what she'd been doing while she was out recovering from chemo and lung cancer surgery. (It helped to have something positive to focus on...)

Congrats on your little girl and I'm glad everything was OK quickly.

Thanks everyone! :hug

The CAL is in the works but I have not posted it yet! Still working out the details. Thinking of offering 2 options....donate to your local Project Linus or send directly to me to donate to the Project Linus here in ABQ that donates to the NICU where my daughter stayed. What do you think?

Unfortunately, we were also in the NICU club with my second child. Same thing - seven day course of antibiotics - they had me in a room with 3 other women who were all nursing their babies so they were in the room crying all day and night while I had to walk clear over to the other end of the building to see mine - and going home without her? Well, there's a feeling I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. No words can ever actually describe that feeling.

One thing I did notice while in our NICU was not one blanket was handmade, not one hat - nothing. Everything was hospital issue - not that I minded - although I DID have my husband bring her an outfit from home so she had something more than a straightjacket t-shirt on.

And some of the babies there had no one looking after them which made it even more heartbreaking considering my husband and I sat constant vigil by my little girls bed.

Count me in - anytime you're ready - i've never crocheted for charity..this seems like a good introduction to me...

Thanks everyone! :hug

The CAL is in the works but I have not posted it yet! Still working out the details. Thinking of offering 2 options....donate to your local Project Linus or send directly to me to donate to the Project Linus here in ABQ that donates to the NICU where my daughter stayed. What do you think?

Wow...I'm not sure. All of the Project Linus chapters are more than worthy. Plus, if we sent them to our local chapters...it would be one less thing you'd have to do.

Wow...I'm not sure. All of the Project Linus chapters are more than worthy. Plus, if we sent them to our local chapters...it would be one less thing you'd have to do.

I agree they are all very worthy. My only concern is that there is not a local chapter for everyone to donate. Especially in other countries. So I am thinking of offering both options to be able to include anyone that is willing to help out. As soon as I work out the details and talk directly to the local coordinator here I will be posting the CAL!:cheer Oh, and I went to my local Hobby Lobby today and found some GREAT baby yarn on clearance for $.99/skein!!!!:eek I came home with 17 skeins of various kinds! (((SSSHHH don't tell my DH!!!))))))))

I agree they are all very worthy. My only concern is that there is not a local chapter for everyone to donate. Especially in other countries. So I am thinking of offering both options to be able to include anyone that is willing to help out. As soon as I work out the details and talk directly to the local coordinator here I will be posting the CAL!:cheer Oh, and I went to my local Hobby Lobby today and found some GREAT baby yarn on clearance for $.99/skein!!!!:eek I came home with 17 skeins of various kinds! (((SSSHHH don't tell my DH!!!))))))))

Only if you promise not to tell my husband what I spent on yarn at Joann's today! :D

Archived