Cotton babyghan? Update - Photos Pg 2!

Sorry to do this all wrong, but I'm not sure where to offer these:

in a major stash-busting attempt, I'm sewing together my little cotton granny squares to put together 1 or 2 baby blankets (approx 25" x 30"). I have just finished one and will try to get a second done in the next few weeks, so having a recipient for #2 might motivate me to finish it more quickly!

This is not like peaches'n'cream cotton, it's lighter and finer, so they aren't terribly warm - maybe right for the summer months? If anyone would like them or could use them for their charity, please PM me with your address. I know some of you work with hospitals or children's charities but most people seem to prefer or request acrylic yarn, so I don't know if they are of use to anyone?? :(

HI Crochetluvknot,

Unfortunately, no. I'm in Germany, and I've checked out local charities but they - quite frankly - are a bit picky. They want monetary donations more than anything else. I normally make a few babyghans to be sold at a Christmas bazaar in aid of our children's clinic, but if someone can use them now, in summer, I have no problem putting them in a Jiffy bag and sending them across the water. :)

I'd love to give them to babies/young kids with my skin disorder (EB - www.geocities.com/chaskitty221) as we need things super soft on our skin. They would be greatly loved by little one's who's skin can't handle anything rough/heavy/etc.

Thank you for your offer!!!

Hello ladies!

Thank you all very much! I know now who will take them - thank you very much. I thought there mightn't be that much interest because they are just cotton, I'm so glad someone could use them. I will continue to stashbust and as I make them up, I'll gladly send them out. Crochetluvnot will take two for the Project Linus chapter in her area, the next two up will go to the Blankets for Babies and then (hopefully stash will be dwindling by then) I send them on to the project for children and babies with skin disorders. I can't give you an exact timeframe, but I'll get back to you all by PM.

Once again, thank you - and my bf, he who suffers from the curse of the lurking cotton skeins (watch out! they're everywhere!), will thank you, too.

Best wishes,

Olivia - Miss Crochet

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Thank you all for your kind words! :hug I hate to admit it, but a lot of those afghans have been lying around my house in the form of plastic bags full of squares for months... Pure laziness... Anyway, I'm slowly working my way through the plastic bags, and am working on the next one. It's a bit plain, red, white and blue squares (well, they are going the USA, right?)

Titus2woman: the last one is a kind of a 'tribute' to my first-ever conscious encounter with crochet! When my little sister was born, my mother received a babyghan from a friend's mother or grandmother, I can't remember. She made a babyghan with flowers in all kinds of colours - no two were the same - on a white background. My other little sister and I LOVED it, we used to pick out our favourite rose from all the different colours (we were only 6 and 4 at the time, so our favourite colour changed daily.) Last year I decided to learn how to make rose squares myself, so this babyghan is my practice-run. It turned out quite well, even though the colours are a bit unusual. I had this fantastic raspberry pink that just wouldn't allow itself to be matched to anything, so the afghan evolved around it.

In any case, I am absolutely sick of crocheted roses for now :lol It's quite intricate work and not something I can do while surfing or reading or watching TV. I just hope some other little girl will get as much pleasure from the colourful roses as my little sister and I did.

Archived