Do you always use the yarn a pattern calls for?

Do you use the yarn a pattern calls for?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use the yarn a pattern calls for?

• Never
    • Always
    • Rarely
    • Other

The only time I ever used what's called for is when it asks for RHSS. I'm more fond of patterns that don't specify a specific yarn anyways. I might also use the same yarn if I like that particular yarn, but that's because I like it, not because they told me to...lol

With me it all depends on the pattern, I'd say it's about half and half with me using what the pattern calls for. Recently I've been making clothes, and those a lot of times I find myself changing what the pattern calls for.

I almost never use the yarn that the pattern calls for. That's not to say that I use yarn that I have in my stash, though, because I almost never do that either. :lol If I used what I have in my stash I wouldn't have an excuse (notice I didn't say "reason") to buy more yarn, but so much of the yarn out there that the patterns call for are out of my price range. Or, rather, I could afford them, but then I wouldn't be able to do nearly as many projects as I do because I would only be able to afford to do two or three projects a month with the price of some of the yarns they call for. So I substitute yarns that I like, but that are much more affordable. I figure that's good in a way, at least I'll never get accused of being a yarn snob. :lol

Most of the time the yarn is either to expensive or the color is not what I like. I have also changed the size of the pattern, so the yarn must change.:hook

I put other.

Several years ago all I had access to was Red Heart, so every thing was made with that.

Now I sometimes use the yarn if it's not a go to the yarn store type of yarn. In other words if I can get it at Wal-Mart, Michaels, Joanns, or Hobby Lobby; then I use it. Otherwise I substitute it.

I also use different yarn if it's hand wash/dry flat. I'd rather use machine wash yarn.

I never use the same yarn either...not for crochet. All the patterns and magazines I get are from the US and we don't get any of the yarns over here. Even the weight of the yarns is described differently...so I just guess and hope for the best.

I chose other. Most of the time I can't use the yarn that the pattern calls for because I don't have access to it. The only place I have close to buy yarn from is Walmart. I only get to a big craft store 3-4 times a year. If I want something special I have to order it online.

I rarely use the yarn called for. I am a reverse yarn snob, I don't use expensive yarns at all.

ditto

Hardly ever use what's called for... often it's not even the same size! Adjust adjust adjust, the name of my game!

I voted RARELY because most of the patterns, I don't hae access to the yarn they use, so I improvise, and adapt hook size if needed, I try to stay with the same wt however.

Archived