Bamboo Hooks

I have been wanting to try Bamboo Hooks. I have Bamboo handled hooks and a set of bamboo knitting needles that I :manyheart Love. I was just wondering if anyone uses bamboo crochet hooks more than other hooks.

I had two larger sized hooks that I bought to use to make hats, and I enjoyed them so much I bought two more smaller ones last Friday. Since then, I'm using them exclusively. I like the way they fit my hand better, allowing me to hold the hook more loosely. It seems to help the tension in my shoulder, so I may be switching out the rest of my hooks too. Anything that makes this crocheting lifestyle even better has to be a good thing!:hook

I have a set of Bamboo hooks (by Clover) and I LOVE them. (E through J or K, I think). I hardly ever use my aluminum hooks anymore. The "natural fibre" :lol hooks are so nice to work with.

I had heard wonderful things about them too. So much so that I bid on a set of 11 and won them on eBay on Sunday. Great minds think alike, huh? The seller tells me they are in the mail, will let you know how I like them. Another plus for me is that I got my L and M hooks in this set! Hadn't been able to get ahold of any.

Depending on the type of yarn I'm using, I'll use a bamboo hook instead of my metal hooks.

I use them mostly with cotton yarns. Stuff that doesn't split so much.

I have one of every size, and a I got a really niced case for them... :hook

I bought mine at AC Moore's. I just lent my I to a knitting friend! She wanted to crochet a rectangle ripple and I forgot to bring the pattern that I had promised to bring so she figured it out herself and since I felt horrible that I forgot the pattern I lent her the hook. She is a good friend and I know I will get it back.

I may be the only negative here...I actually like the weight and texture of the bamboo hooks. My only problem (perhaps specific only the brand I bought)...they are perfectly round. I can't feel with my hand where the hook is facing. So I find myself putting my hook into a stitch and pulling it back through without yarn. It might be just me, but I type alot in my current job and I played piano for many years (I only dont' now because I don't own a keyboard anymore.) I have a tendency to just "know" where my hands are so I don't really need to look at my crochet project...but I do with the bamboo hook. I like the feel so much though that I'm tempted to put a notch in it with a knife...that should do the job.

I have a pattern book that specifically calls for bamboo hooks. I've not tried the patterns yet, but would it make a difference if I used the same size hook in aluminum or plastic? I down own any bamboo hooks & DH would kill me if I bought them - with my ebay purchases yesterday I'm pretty much over my limit until then incentive check comes in :)

I have a pattern book that specifically calls for bamboo hooks. I've not tried the patterns yet, but would it make a difference if I used the same size hook in aluminum or plastic? I down own any bamboo hooks & DH would kill me if I bought them - with my ebay purchases yesterday I'm pretty much over my limit until then incentive check comes in :)

As long as you get the gauge called for in the pattern I don't see that it would matter what material the hook was made from. It is more a preference than a size or gauge matter. Sometimes a certain yarn might cling more to a wood or bamboo hook than a metal one. Some prefer a more rounded hook others a pointed in line hook.. I am partial to bone hooks for somethings metals for others and my favorite wooden one for another thing entirely, but that is just what I like. Just as some hold thier hooks like a pencil some overhand ....etc. We are all end up with similar results but get there in many different way.:cheer

I absolutely love the one bamboo hook I have, but I don't use G hooks much so it doesn't get as much use as I'd like. Maybe one day soon I'll be able to afford an I or J hook (my favorites).

As long as you get the gauge called for in the pattern I don't see that it would matter what material the hook was made from. It is more a preference than a size or gauge matter. Sometimes a certain yarn might cling more to a wood or bamboo hook than a metal one. Some prefer a more rounded hook others a pointed in line hook.. I am partial to bone hooks for somethings metals for others and my favorite wooden one for another thing entirely, but that is just what I like. Just as some hold thier hooks like a pencil some overhand ....etc. We are all end up with similar results but get there in many different way.:cheer

I thought this was probably the case, but since I'd never seen a pattern call for a specific type of hook I thought I'd ask. Thanks!

I bought a Clover bamboo size K hook a week ago at my LYS. I wanted to buy it in Forest Palmwood (have an L in that kind of wood) but couldn't afford it so I thought I'd try the bamboo since I've heard so much about them.

My hand is MISERABLE. I'm using it for my Shawler and this hook is easily the most painful I have ever used. I find myself wondering throughout the day why Clover doesn't make the Soft Touch in K. I can't even attempt to close my hand, hold a cup, nothing thanks to how much my hand hurts. I'm just floored.

It would have been worth the money to get the Forest Palmwood. :( All this said, I do have a connective tissue disorder and the Soft Touch are by far my favorite. I can say 100% though that I will never buy another bamboo hook again. I can't drive or I would be out of here in a split second to buy any other type of hook in size K but alas I can't, so I'm rather stuck.

• 3 weeks later...

I love the bamboo circular knitting needles, thought I'd love the crochet hooks, but the most important thing for me is the flattened thumb rest. Most of the bamboos I've tried don't have that. I have a K+ bamboo by Crystal Palace that I like, however.

I have a bone double ended that I love and my favorites are ebony hooks from Vietnam by Laurel Hill

http://www.karpstyles.com/catalog.html?item=1849

I got mine from Karp Styles.

Denise

Archived