Crochet hooks and Airports

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this or not - but here goes!

I'm going to be flying next month and wanted to take my size 7 steel hook, some thread, and a small scissors with on the plane to keep me busy. Does anyone know if this is a problem with security? I wouldn't mind having to give over my hook if it was just a normal everyday, easily replaceable hook, but the thing of it is, it's a special order steel hook with a custom wooden handle that would break my heart to surrender to them.......

Anyone take their steel hooks on a plane and have any insight on this???

Thanks in advance!

I've never had a problem with the crochet hook,,,Sissors,, I have the tiny ones that the handles fold down oner the blades. I've just had it in my shirt pocket and always made it through. Gotta say,,, I HATE taking my shoes off and walking on the floors of a million feet,,,,:eek

I've never had a problem with the crochet hook,,,Sissors,, I have the tiny ones that the handles fold down oner the blades. I've just had it in my shirt pocket and always made it through. Gotta say,,, I HATE taking my shoes off and walking on the floors of a million feet,,,,:eek

I have never had a problem taking my hooks and scissors on board. I also have the the scissors in which the handles fold over the blades. I think the policies are that the blades of scissors have to be less than 4". I pack my little crochet bag and check right in with no problem and then I happily :crocheting during my entire flight :D.

Hope you have a great trip!!!

If it is one of your most prized possession hooks, I wouldn't take it anyway. Wouldn't want to take the chance security would take it away from me or that the airline might lose the checked luggage.

When I travel by air, I take along plastic hooks -- I know you probably can't get them in the sizes of the steel hooks, but just to be on the safe side, I take plastic.

Honestly, I wouldn't take a risk of losing such a wonderful hook.

You would have to give up both the hook and the scissors if you plan on putting them in a carry on.

You can however put them in your checked luggage.

This has not been my experience. I frequently travel with size 10 steel hooks (to Taiwan, PAris, Hong Kong, London, New York, Denver) and have never had them questioned since 9/11. Not once.

I accidentally switched my take on bag once with my carry on bag and there were scissors in my bag. My choice was to toss the scissors or check the bag. I checked the bag since it wasn't going to be my carry-on one anyone. The carry-on one that I mistakenly checked had my books, my crochet projects and everything I was going to use to entertain myself for a 21 hour flight.:(

I usually bring a dental floss container to slice thru yarn or thread. Works pretty well.

...... As far as the scissors you should get a "Quickie Cutter" I know I sell tons in my shoppe. http://www.quickiecutter.com/

I've avoided the quickie cutters that are on a pendant. For a bit of time, the TSA website specifically forbid them because of the enclosed blade. I know of one woman who had to give it over. I haven't seen it explicitly mentioned for some time, so it's probably okay to take it now.

The TSA web site says differently. http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

You can bring your crochet hooks & knitting needles. As far as the scissors you should get a "Quickie Cutter" I know I sell tons in my shoppe. http://www.quickiecutter.com/

I should have checked the TSA website. At one time you could not get on board a plane with metal hooks or knitting needles and scissors.

That's why I started using the bamboo and plastic hooks.

Learn something new everyday, thanks for letting us know. :hook

Here's a thought.. take a padded self addressed pre stamped mailer and if Security says No Go.. you can mail whatever is verboten back home to yourself.

I usually bring a dental floss container to slice thru yarn or thread. Works pretty well.

That is brilliant! If I ever forget my scissors I can always find floss. :)

I travel a ton each year, and while I have not had any problem with hooks or needles, scissors is a different matter. I had a pair of the tiny folding ones confiscated from TSA. However I found that if you bring round/blunt tis scissors on no one says a thing. This has been my experience traveling both domestic and international.

I'm so excited that I saw this thread! I am travelling on Monday by plane and was thinking about going to the craft store to pick up a plastic hook and children's scissors. I have one of those pendant cutters that I'm not very fond of, so if they want to confiscate it and I have to live with dental floss blade, I'll live! Also, I'm very excited about bringing my aluminum hooks :clap

TSA has never bothered me about hooks (I take plastic) but they did confiscate my little tiny folding scissors (rats!!) so now I don't bother to bring scissors with me in my carry on. Lizaizme had an excellent idea about bringing a small SASE just in case. Wish I had thought of that! I'd pack your special hook and use something else on the plane... why risk it?

Hi

thank you for starting this thread. I travel a lot and I find it difficult to read on the plan or train. I travel a lot in the EU but also to the US and Japan from time to time.

On Atlantic flights I have had problems with pointed steel hooks and scissors. I never had any problem with blunt wooden hooks (above 3mm).

It is a very nice advice with the dental floss - I will try that on my next trip. I justed to bid the thread ....ouf.

I think that crochet has an advantage over knitting in airplanes. I was never allowed to take my knitting with me - especially circular needles makes the security people thinking about strangulation tools. Normally I always use circular needeles on trains because it allow you to knit without sticking your fellow travellers.

Have a nice trip

Best regards

Ellen

I flew US Airways yesterday, with no problem for my hooks (only 1 or two metal), or the pair of baby (round-ended) safety sissors I carried with me, BUT their website warns it is up to the TSA examiners discretion, so carry that stamped, self addressed envelope, just in case.

Another "cutter" that works is one of those tiny fingernail clippers. I keep one in my purse anyway, so...(granted I haven't flown recently so I can't say it works from experience...but it always used to)...I keep a 1.65mm hook and some perle cotton in my purse, and the clippers work well on that--more often than a broken nail or hangnail getting in the way :lol.

hope you have a good flight, and co-operative security. :)

Here's a thought.. take a padded self addressed pre stamped mailer and if Security says No Go.. you can mail whatever is verboten back home to yourself.

I went to mail a letter at Dulles Airport last March 2007 and discovered that Dulles Airport no longer had any mailboxes! Something to do with security. I had to mail the letter from England at some outrageous amount. It was a letter that had to be delivered to social security, so I had no choice.

That is brilliant! If I ever forget my scissors I can always find floss. :)

I travel a ton each year, and while I have not had any problem with hooks or needles, scissors is a different matter. I had a pair of the tiny folding ones confiscated from TSA. However I found that if you bring round/blunt tis scissors on no one says a thing. This has been my experience traveling both domestic and international.

Sometime in the last 18 months, the list of forbidden items was change to allow blunt end scissors.

This is a great thread. I too will be traveling shortly and now I know where to look to see what is allowed and what isn't.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. Have a great trip, everyone!

:manyheart

i recently flew to bahamas with my steels hooks. of course they WEREN'T

my most favorite ones. i put size 3,4,5,6 & 7 hooks, blunt needle for weaving ends, one of those little plastic type scissors that have the removeable caps on them, in a plactic tooth brush holder. no problem at any customs to and from. i was so happy. i was able to make doilles on plane, waiting, & on vaction. gave several away while there.

i flew us airways.

judy

i got on a plane a month ago and had no problems. I carry my hook in a tin pencil case adn in it I have stork scissors, hooks steel with wood handles and all wood, tape measure, st markers. In my purse I did have a pendant cutter and they didn't take it or even look in my bag to see hwat it was.

• 2 weeks later...

Both at Ohare and at San Diego, my daughter and I were lucky enough to get searched. They had some kind of code on our tickets, that to the security people meant to search us. I think it was because I bought the tickets about 2 weeks before the trip.

In both cases, I had a crochet hook in my bag and they didn't take it away. It was a size k.

Yes, it was a pain to be searched. And a little embarrassing, but I guess after 9-11, we all have to just be a little more careful.

And I do hate to take off my shoes where a million feet have been. DD and I each wore socks, so at least we weren't bare footed.

It's just part of traveling now. We have to just get used to it.

:manyheart

DON'T RISK it with one you can't replace!!! - I just met a lady that lost every - ALL! - her steel hooks and knitting needles from her carry on and got grief besides from TSA - they were NOT nice and stated she should know that even though it says YES on their site to having them in your carry-on that reading further or calling them she would have been told wood or plastic and also under a certain length on the knitting needles - she said she was upset and embarassed! Poor lady! She was at the craft store stocking up on plastic ones.

I know some of you are saying you have never had trouble and that is great - but all it takes is the one time you are counting on breezing thru to have a rude surprise such as she did!

I would air on the side of caution in knowing the finer points of TSA are up to THEIR discretion - and really they don't take kindly to questions right at the gate - that is for before you fly.

I just brought a bunch of steel hooks and needles overseas for someone and sent them in the checked as I just did not want to worry about it.

If you still want to try and bring the steel hook - use one in the same size and leave the valued one that is special either home or in your checked for use after landing...

If you are still worried over it - bring a padded self addressed stamped envelope with you in your carry-on and then if they tell you know you can at least get it back by mailing it to yourself!

I just would not want any of you to lose any of your precious needlecrafting tools!

Archived