First double-strand afghan...

This is the first double-strand afghan I have attempted (the flannelghan from one of the CAL) and it's driving me crazy:thair. Please tell me working with 2 strands will get easier as I get used to it. I am using a smaller hook (K) instead of the N (I don't have that size); so could that be part of the problem? I do like the size of the stitches with the K hook, though. Any tips on crocheting with 2 strands would be greatly appreciated!:help

What are you having problems with? Keeping the strands together? Keeping both strands on the hook? Tangling of strands?

Keeping both strands together when I pull them through the loops.

I think your hook's neck may be just a bit too skinny to hold both strands at once. If the strands are hanging together while you yarn over and begin to pull through but separate, then it seems like the throat of the hook doesn't have enough depth to handle the thickness of the 2 strands.

I don't know how bold you are with things, but can you possible file a bit from the throat of the hook to make that part a bit wider?

Easier perhaps, to look at another brand of hook size N to see if the throat is different.

I've items holding 10 strands together so I believe it is your hook in this case.

But of course it's an analysis based on not seeing the actual item. Hopefully you'll get some more opinions.

Two strands together takes some getting used to. Is your work stiff?? I read on a post here that if your work is stiff, then your hook is too small. Once you get used to the two strands, it will feel strange to go back to one. I did a couple of ghans that were double strand and one that was triple (baby yarn) everything else after that seems light and airy,lol.

I'm afraid I agree with the others . . . you should go up in hook size. When the hook is larger it can 'catch' both strands easier. I made one of these for my SIL for Christmas and used the larger hook size. I can't say as how I got 'used' to it, I'd rather work with one strand but the tweed effect is really good.

I also made a 'Giddyup Go' hat that had 2 strands to make the tweed effect and used a larger hook. Everyone loves the hat, and so do I, but I'm still not crazy about 2 strands of WW.

~ Debby

I have just this weekend completed two with double strands. I used a p hook. They turned out great. I was afraid I would have trouble, but I think I actually like working with two better. It just seems so fluffy. Plus they make up in a jiffy that way.

I crochet on the loose side and a K hook works fine for me. Maybe another thing is to take into account how bulky the yarn is you're using. I've only done a couple 2 strand blankets and plan to do many more for the Snuggles Project. Like others have said, going back to one strand after 2 is kinda strange. I tried to do a one strand yesterday and it felt foreign and my tension was off. So, I frogged what little I'd done and started another 2 strand. lol.

I worked with 4 strands once making a rug. Never again! I don't even like to do 2 strand afghans. I can't seem to keep the tension of all strands the same throughout. I used the recommended hook and was hitting gauge so I guess hook size isn't my problem. I once frogged a 3 strand afghan that wasn't working out, got all the strands tangled, knots everywhere, got totally frustrated with the mess I'd made, and threw it all out. What a waste. I'll never try that again! If there's a knack to it, I'm missing the part of my brain that allows me to grasp it. :think

It does make a difference what brand hook you use. I use the Susan Bates hooks because they have a deeper throat area and catch the yarn better. It is much more obvious when using 2 or 3 strands that the Bates hooks are better for this.

I tried to do an afghan for my nephew with two strands to do the tweed effect and it just about did me in. My hands would not take it. But I know it was because my hook size was too small. What I did do of it was more like a rug than an afghan, I frogged it and went another direction. I know the next time I try 2 strands will definitely be with a much larger hook.

Relax and crochet loosely. I agree that a Bates hook is best for 2 strands, and K is about the minimum size I can use comfortably. Give it a chance -- 2 strands make for a nice texture and it's fun to try something different!

I love working with multiple strands...I make little crochet rugs for the house and have made them for gifts, my chirldren's houses,etc. also have made baskets and afghans for the grands and I have found that the N hook is the best...I also give the yarn a wee bit of a twist while doing the stitch which helps prevent the yarns separating. You will find it so much smoother and relaxing.

If you crochet tightly, a K is deff too small. I made a 2-strander with a K, but my tension is average to loose. It could also be the yarn itself. some yarns are "stifer" to work with and don't play well with others, while some of the softer yarns will go along with just about anything. It does take a little getting used to and if the loops twist in their order on your hook, that's just fine.

I used a K hook with 2 strands(i crochet loosely) and had no problem.

Well I take it back, the problem came when I washed the blanket. The

blanket was much looser. I'm gonna try again, only much closer st's, and

see how that comes out.

jaye

Archived