I'm cheating and lovin' it!

:eek

After seeing all the gorgeous squares that are out there I decided to make a ghan out of squares. (ok - who can believe I'm up for all that whipstitching lol).

Anyways - 12 inch squares - 4x6 ghan - ugh 24 squares :(

I added 3 inches to each square and now I only have to make 15 :yay:yay:yay:yay:yay

So - instead of 48x72 inches, it'll be 45x75 inches before the border - which is close enough to the golden ratio for me!!!!!

DSCI0509.jpg

This is Chris Simon's Flower Burst.

There needs to be a correction in Round 9 (2dc, ch2, 2dc) in each corner, and

Round 10 (repeat dc, ch1 one less time)

To check out the changes I made - check out my blog.

Should be beautiful.

I don't like whipstitching either. I'm working on an afghan that will have a lot of pieces so I'm hoping to work out a technique for crocheting the pieces together. Problem is, they're not squares, so I can't use my usual techniques.

That is going to be very pretty. I love your square.

What I've found is doing a little at a time. Like one strip on the afghan, and then I don't have so much to do at the end. Or putting in a good movie (and long one) and watching that as I whipstitch.

Debbi

I don't like to whipstitch either. I've been known to start chaining & just pick up a stitch from each of 2 sq. Make sure that you pick up at the corners & in the middle (of the sides) on each sq. This gives a kind of zig-zag in-between sq. It really goes quickly & is a pretty openwork joining. Then all you have to do is sc a couple of rows around the whole thing, or do whatever edging you like.

Love that first square. It'll make a beautiful blanket.

I recently finished a blanket made of squares, but I didn't use whipstitch to join it. In fact I think I've only ever used whipstitch once and hated it. I usually join by crocheting the squares in some fashion. Either chains, sc's or shells.

I joined my most recent one with sc and ss. Sc around Square A and finish off. Sc around three sides of Square B. When you get to the fourth side, line it up with Square A, sc and every couple of stitches ss across to the other square. It joins it up really nicely. When you're up to joining a few rows together then you only sc around 2 sides before you're doing the joining sides.

You can also do the same thing with shells - it takes longer but looks beautiful. You do 2dc ch 1 2dc to make your 'shell'. Then when it comes to joining instead of ch 1, you ss or sc into the ch 1 space of the other square.

No idea if this explanation just made sense but that's how I join my blankets. It also adds a bit of extra width/length to your afghan if you get sick of making squares!

Good luck with your blanket!

Your square is lovely.

I never whipstitch either. I sc them on the back side and I've always been happy with this. Just hold 2 squares face to face and sc, hmmm, through both layers in the loops that stick up the highest. I almost said the back loops.

When you hold a square up, with the RS facing you, it is the back loop, and it sticks up a little tiny bit higher than the other loop. When you put 2 squares RS face to face, the higher loops are now on the outside. I still consider this the back loop, even though now one is facing and one is facing away.

So I just sc down the entire row in the back loops only. When you unfold the squares out flat, the "lump" of the sc is on the back and a little "ditch" runs down between the squares on the front. I love this look.

I like to put together the full rows of squares in this same way, adding extra sts at corners if they are needed.

I always do borders of at least 3 rnds. If you can stand to do it, I'd end with 2 or 3 rnds of dc, then 2 or 3 rnds of sc. The sc really helps keep the piece from pulling out of shape at the edge.

Thanx everyone!

I've finished the green part. YAY!

I totally forgot how long it takes to make a ghan with an I hook. I don't actually need this done until Christmas.

I like the look of whipstitching - I'm just not a big fan of actually doing it. I know the 1st round of the border will be a green dc to finish the outside squares. I'm not sure how I'll finish it off. I always do borders - they keep the ghan looking like a ghan.

Archived