Big Lots Yarn Sale

There's one on my way home from work. Should I stop? Probably not since there are so many bags of yarn at home already. And that Stash Busting CAL tally would go in the negative more. All the reasons not to...But I probably will!!! lol

I saw that yesterday as soon as I opened the mailbox...hhhmmm......do I dare? No, my husband would kill me....we already have SO much yarn to move when we get our house in a few weeks....lol!

You could use the yarn to pad fragile items instead of buying special padding material.

Beverly

What an enabler! But it is a brilliant idea!

Debbie

I did that years ago...also used paper towel rolls and bath tissue and bath towels and wash cloths. Should have used yarn, too. :lol

Beverly

My car did not turn into Big Lots yesterday! I was so proud of the car. lol

OH, my car turned in! And, it returned this morning (because I needed payday to get here first) at which point I spent ENTIRELY too much money, but my sis is going to buy some from me to make scarves :clap

The deals were too great to pass up. Paton's Bohemian $6 cheaper than retail WOOHOO:yay

Joyce

And don't forget about AC Moore's big sale today. 25% off all yarn. I was going to go, but decided it was not a good idea. So I will just sit my tush at home and crochet away at the yarn already stashed in "Jana's Yarn Store" lol

Thanks for the tip -- the Big Lots on Hillsdale Ave in San Jose CA (for the, like, two of you who live in the Bay Area) keeps the yarn stashed in a cardboard box under the table of scrapbooking items but I got a dozen Patons Lacette (no idea what I'll do with it, but so pretty) and a few Patons Brilliant in that nice sparkly brown (no idea what to do with that either but it was my favorite color of Brilliant).

Any ideas for the Lacette? I've never worked with yarn that fuzzy -and- fine before.

I think the Lacette is part angora. It really is very pretty. Check the label though.

I remember when I was little, watching my mother knit with angora, and she told me (while she was making these grim faces) if you knit with angora, you have to be very, very good. Every stitch has to be right. You can't make a mistake because you can't pull it out. All this long hair tangles and then it's ruined. So you have to work slowly and carefully, then it will be beautiful.

I didn't dare say a word. I was afraid the air movement would blow the angora enough to tangle it. So I sat there very quietly, mesmerized, watching her knit. It was a sweater I think.

I always remembered that about the angora because with other yarns she knit and crocheted much faster.

Does Big Lots always get new shipments of yarn really cheap or is just a once in a while thing when they put ads for yarn in the paper?

I want somebody to build a Big Lots, a Micheals, an AC Moore, and a JoAnns in MY neighborhood...I'd even settle for 15 miles away. Closest store is Walmart (10 miles) with a limited supply and in 2009 they are closing their craft section :( , and Michaels is an hour away...the others are 2 hours away!!!

Real Deal -- thanks for the warning on angora! I've never worked with fluffy yarn before. A healthy fear is probably a good thing.

--Elissa

I think the Lacette is part angora. It really is very pretty. Check the label though.

I remember when I was little, watching my mother knit with angora, and she told me (while she was making these grim faces) if you knit with angora, you have to be very, very good. Every stitch has to be right. You can't make a mistake because you can't pull it out. All this long hair tangles and then it's ruined. So you have to work slowly and carefully, then it will be beautiful.

I didn't dare say a word. I was afraid the air movement would blow the angora enough to tangle it. So I sat there very quietly, mesmerized, watching her knit. It was a sweater I think.

I always remembered that about the angora because with other yarns she knit and crocheted much faster.

Does Big Lots always get new shipments of yarn really cheap or is just a once in a while thing when they put ads for yarn in the paper?

It was mentioned over in the other thread where this is being discussed

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=69763

that one store was supposed to get shipments on Wed., which may or may not include yarn. More details here. I would probably ask the local store to be sure that's true for them too, though. My local stores don't seem to get yarn all that often, but they sure had a nice load of new stuff this time!

I had also mentioned this in the other thread, but since I'm posting, I'll share my happy findings again :manyheart I got big bag of Lacette, Brilliant, and Glittalic! Some are for a gift, so I don't have to feel guilty, and they were all only a buck. LOL!

Archived