Friendship Shawls

I just got my email newsletter from Carol Alexander and the featured article was about Friendship Shawls, here is the link if anyone is interested: http://www.friendshipshawl.org/

I think it is a great idea, the site lists some patterns you can use, but also lists colors and what different colors mean. They also list what type of illness or causes are attached to different colors, I copied the list for you all to see. After reading the list of colors and causes, I have to admitt that I was saddened to see there is no color associated with depression, which is both and mental and physcial disease. I would think folks suffering from depression would need it the most.:)

Anyhoo, hope you all take a look!

pink.jpg - Breast Cancer

red.jpg - Heart Disease, DUI Awareness (MADD), HIV/AIDS

Grey.jpg - Diabetes

Yellow.jpg - Testicular Cancer, Deployed Soldiers, Liver Cancer & Liver Disease, Bladder Cancer

Blue.jpg - Drunk Driving, Epstein-Barr

Purple.jpg - Alzheimer's Disease, Animal Abuse, Cancer Survivor, Children with Disabilities, Crohn's Disease, Cystic Fibrosis

Orange.jpg - Hunger Awareness, Leukemia, Lupus

Silver.jpg - Abuse of the Elderly

Teal.jpg - Ovarian Cancer, Sexual Violence, Spaying & Neutering Pets, Substance Abuse

White.jpg - Peace, Bone Disease & Bone Cancer, Multiple Sclerosis

Black.jpg - POW-MIA, Anti-Gang

I didn't look too closely but thanks for listing the various colour meanings. It is disheartening to see no colours for depression or post-partum depression. Perhaps as a group, we could pick a colour and then campaign to get it recognized.

I just got my email newsletter from Carol Alexander and the featured article was about Friendship Shawls, here is the link if anyone is interested: http://www.friendshipshawl.org/

I think it is a great idea, the site lists some patterns you can use, but also lists colors and what different colors mean. They also list what type of illness or causes are attached to different colors, I copied the list for you all to see. After reading the list of colors and causes, I have to admitt that I was saddened to see there is no color associated with depression, which is both and mental and physcial disease. I would think folks suffering from depression would need it the most.:)

pink.jpg - Breast Cancer

Grey.jpg - Diabetes

Yellow.jpg - Testicular Cancer, Deployed Soldiers, Liver Cancer & Liver Disease, Bladder Cancer

Purple.jpg - Alzheimer's Disease, Animal Abuse, Cancer Survivor, Children with Disabilities, Crohn's Disease, Cystic Fibrosis

Teal.jpg - Ovarian Cancer, Sexual Violence, Spaying & Neutering Pets, Substance Abuse

The MS Society has actually chosen Orange as the "official" color for Multiple Sclerosis.

I too love the idea of a Friendship Shawl and now have this on my to-do list.

For depression, the listed awareness color is green and for MS the colors are either grey or aurora borealis.

Here is a link for a site that has a pretty accurate list:

http://www.awarenessdesigns.com/information.php?info_id=7&osCsid=9a15005801415e83fb62081e874e1cef

Hope it helps finding colors.

I would nominate a bright fresh green like a

Kelly Green

for the depression ribbon. Green represents life and growth so I would choose that as what Depressives need in their lives. I do speak from experience on this one.

That colour is not necessarily the right green but just in the right neighbourhood.

pink.jpg - Breast Cancer

Grey.jpg - Diabetes

They left out Peach.. which is for Uterine Cancer.

I've made two of the shawls from that site.. they turned out very nice. The filet one turned out HUGE though.. I'm thinking of using dc instead of trc next time I make it. I don't mind huge.. but others might not like something so big.

I too love the idea of a Friendship Shawl and now have this on my to-do list.

For depression, the listed awareness color is green and for MS the colors are either grey or aurora borealis.

Here is a link for a site that has a pretty accurate list:

http://www.awarenessdesigns.com/information.php?info_id=7&osCsid=9a15005801415e83fb62081e874e1cef

Hope it helps finding colors.

Scroll down several paragraphs to the paragraph titled "What color is MS?"

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/site/PageServer?pagename=HOM_NEWS_nmss_newlaunch

Finally a reason to use the Vibrant Orange that Red Heart makes for the Super Saver skeins.

I was on my way here to post a link to this very pattern, but I see that you have all beat me to it! LOL! :lolWell, that is fine....as long as everyone at Crochetville gets a chance to see it! I want to make one of these beautiful shawls for myself, just not sure of the color yet....:think. Thanks RenniC for the link to that great site for the additional colors.......and a belated WELCOME to Crocheville!

Speaking as a person who has battled major depression most of her life, green would be a good calming color for us depressives, especially in these dark gloomy months of winter when it gets bad, it may remind us of spring and the hope that things will turn around again.

Speaking as a person who has battled major depression most of her life, green would be a good calming color for us depressives, especially in these dark gloomy months of winter when it gets bad, it may remind us of spring and the hope that things will turn around again.

I totally agree with you and empathize. I have had major depression all of my life due to a combination of clinical depression and long term emotional baggage and green has always had an uplifting effect. Also, sunny yellow works wonders for me. I actually want to paint a room sunny yellow (kinda golden) one day so I can just sit in it when I get the downs. Of course, yellow is not a color a lot of people can wear, so green is the better option. Over the past year or two I've updated my wardrobe and got rid of all the black (with the exception of one dress and one suit, for funerals and such), gray, and stark white. I switched to chocolate brown, olive green, ivory and tan. Those more earthy colors have really helped me feel better on a daily basis. :yes

The MS Society has actually chosen Orange as the "official" color for Multiple Sclerosis.

Personally I wish it would be purple. But that's just 'cause it's my favorite color. :lol

I would be careful about painting a room yellow. I have heard about a higher aggression level associated with this colour and by just doing a :google search of "yellow equals aggression" I got several hits. I had an experience of that happening with an apartment I painted yellow for someone else.

the top hit says that it is not proven but I also got this page...

http://www.sensationalcolor.com/content/view/954/146/

I find that most of us depressives respond positively to the colour green.. well certain shades and tints of green.

I also think it is a good idea to get rid of those black/stark clothes. Colour is one of the quickest tools we have to affect mood.

Hi Purlwise

It is a great idea isn't it!!!

In Australia we have a foundation for depression called "Beyond Blue", it deals with all depression but focuses on male depression and male (teenage aslo) suicide (huge problem in Australia). So maybe you take blue (a cheery blue) for depression?

Just a thought

Cheers

Shellymoo :mcow

You must all be psychic because according to THIS site, GREEN is the color for depression awareness already. And there are many more colors for things I never even thought of. Take a peek and see what you can find...

Sara

Thank you all, taking up the cause for a color for depression. My first thought was green also, and it's funny to see all of us thought the same thing, and it was already the official color! I had no idea! Maybe we can find a way to contact the friendship shawl lady and ask her to update the list!

I to have had numerous major depessive episodes, some I almost didn't survive. I'm glad that others here can relate to me and I to you. Thanks so much! And green is my favorite color anyway! Funny isn't it?

Thanks for the list. I wasn't sure on what some of the colours for the causes I support were. I just wish I could find a colour for multiple cancers so I could make one in memory of my Papa. I think this year for my craft sale, I'm going to make support shawls for each of the causes I support and then donate half the money raised from them to those causes.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

Archived