I just don't get people...

They are looking at 9.98 for shipping on top of it...

Shoot, if somebody wants or need yarn, they should post on the 'ville....i'd go buy her 5 skeins at my local walmart and send it to her...as many on the 'ville would...

It really rubs me wrong when people are actually going out of their way to make a buck.

We've had our share of luck on ebay, on items that we thought were junk but were clearly collectors items to others....but don't go into it with a scam in mind....as soon as I see overpriced shipping...I close the window, no matter how bad I want the item. I refuse to send my hard earned money to somebody who's clearly over estimating shipping to make a buck!

When we sell if we miscalculate the shipping by anything more than .50...we send the money back.

ok...babbling now...sorry.:blush

I wouldn't spend 35.00 on that yarn.. but there are people who can't get it anywhere else. I haven't seen it at our walmart in forever. Seriously.

I try to stay away from E-bay. You do get good deals(my 3 Dora the Explorer dolls and my Kitchen Aid Professional mixer),I got lucky with these buys, but there have been other things that I have wanted but the shipping and handling were like two arms and two legs!!:eek

Some of that Xmas yarn has gone for some good money on ebay.

I put up a skein of it not to long ago, and got a $ 5 bid for it.

I have put a lot of yarn up on ebay at different times. Most of the time, I don't

know the price. Some of it is older yarn and maybe not made any more.

I try to put up small lots so hopefully if someone is looking to match into a

project to finish, they only need to buy a small amount.

I just had quite a few up on the last ebay promotion which ended thursday ,

just a few days ago. I sold 3 of them. The rest of the lots will either go back up

on a relist or I may put them on my website, and entertain offers.

I had one lady years ago, who bid up a big lot of yarn that I had up, to almost $ 100.

She wanted it to finish a afghan her mother had started. She wanted that yarn bad.

Price was no object.

The auction you just mentioned.....I found it on a search. She was high on her start bid to be sure. And the postage was high also.

I had a hard time finding this yarn where I live after finding some while visiting my sister, but I wasn't desperate enough to be willing to pay that much. As it is, I wasn't willing (once I found it) to wait for the Christmas clearance because it seems to get snatched up the minute it shows up in stores around here. $35 that's $7 a skein and it's not even a natural fiber, fancy yarn sheesh

Holy smokes! I would never pay that much for yarn. Im one of those people that flinches at the thought of paying the price for the fancy and or natural yarns. I mainly stick to acrylic or cotton for my projects. The fancy ones are very nice and all, but to make a sweater or something, you could go and buy the whole sweater already made for cheaper than the cost of the yarn....its sad really. I hope nobody is desperate enough to pay that price that it's listed for.

I've been using the "Want it Now" section of eBay to sell my yarn. I look and see if someone is really wanting something I have.. then I list and send them the auction #.

I haven't made a killing, but I haven't gotten hurt either. I'm doing myself and others some good.

The 35.00 yarn may be a case where someone has listed a want on the want it now and they're listing it for that person. who knows. someone could email and ask.

That's the FREE MARKET for you. :lol I've gotten a few good deals on Ebay...Boye steel Comfort Grip crochet hooks, and an old McCall's Crochet Magazine, but most things are just priced too high. I browse once in a while, but usually end up not buying anything. It's a good resource for general information about certain products for comparison to what I can buy elsewhere. Haven't bought yarn there yet.

Beverly

Buyer beware! Nobody minds anyone making a little profit, but come on! Just don't buy from people like this. Maybe they'll learn we aren't stupid.

I wouldn't spend 35.00 on that yarn.. but there are people who can't get it anywhere else. I haven't seen it at our walmart in forever. Seriously.

Maybe someone is looking for a special color, something that's discontinued, etc. then they would bid.

But most people would go to Walmart first and buy it at 2.50 each.

:manyheart

While I agree with everyone else here...I wouldn't pay that much for that particular yarn....how is this any different than putting up the cathedral rose window afghan pattern for $50-60? (that was the going price for the pattern book pre re-release of the new pattern.) At my local Walmart, that yarn has been sold out for a long time....if I wanted that yarn now I'd be out of luck finding it at my store. If I was realy desperate for it I would turn to ebay.

While you think that the seller is beig "greedy" I say more power to him/her! If you can find someone to buy it for that price....great job! (how many people here bought that afghan pattern for more than $20?) JMO as always..... Who was it that said there is a s****r born every minute?

I agree with Smokeyp81. Although I would never pay such high prices because I am frugal (cheap :lol), people spend their money on all types of overpriced (IMO) items. THere are $2000 purses, $500 sunglasses, $200 jeans, etc. To me it is ludicrous. But at the same time, if they think it is worth the money, that is their business. All we can do is sit on the sidelines and scratch our heads :lol But seriously, if I have something that I think is only worth $2, but someone offers me $40, I would take it. Why not, they are paying what THEY think it is worth. As long as I don't misrepresent the item, and they are getting exactly what they think they are getting, then we are both happy.

As a funny side note, I once went shopping at an "antique" shop. I saw a votive candle holder going for $7. What is absolutely hilarious (to me but I have a weird sense of humor), I had one EXACTLY like it. And guess where I bought it? At the 99 Cent Store!!! :laughroll

Who was it that said there is a s****r born every minute?

That was allegedly P.T. Barnum...of what is now known as Ringling Bros., and Barnum & Bailey Circus.

And, actually, he never really said it. (yeah, it was a surprise to me too)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P._T._Barnum

Ebay reminds me of Big Lots: Sometimes you get the smokin' deals (like my box of 48 Scotch-Brite disposable toilet cleaner pads for $1 each, and i bought all 8 boxes on the shelf :D ) and sometimes you get ripped (like the pack of socks i got for the same price charge at Wal-Mart, only the toe area of each sock was sewed too thick.)

Archived