Braggin' on Grandma

Sue89

OOPS! :blush ...and thanks. I guess that is macrame. Once I started searching for "macrame table" I was finally able to find a few examples online that were similar. My grandfather had always called it crocheted, and I thought the body of it looked a bit like solomon's knots. But then, I know nothing about macrame.

So just to show that she really was a prolific crocheter, here's another old photo showing one of her bedspreads. I think you can also see some of her pillows and part of a table runner/doily thingy.

th_Grandmasbedspread.jpg

OOPS! :blush ...and thanks. I guess that is macrame. Once I started searching for "macrame table" I was finally able to find a few examples online that were similar. My grandfather had always called it crocheted, and I thought the body of it looked a bit like solomon's knots. But then, I know nothing about macrame.

So just to show that she really was a prolific crocheter, here's another old photo showing of one of her bedspreads. I think you can also see some of her pillows and part of a table runner/doily thingy.

th_Grandmasbedspread.jpg

WOW!!! I love the bedspread, pillows & everything. What a talented lady. And she even macra. to boot! It looks like you've got crochet in your genes. My lifetime goal is to make just one of those bedspreads.

Wow..that bedspread is beautiful...I read you mentioned your grandfather visiting from Puerto Rico...are you from Puerto Rico??? What part are you guys from?? I live here in Puerto Rico...Im from Ponce.

The tables are great no matter how they were made, but that bedspread.. that HUGE thing with thread?! And it's soooo beautiful! I can tell you're really proud of her, and that's awesome. I would be, too!

That bedspread is just beautiful! My grandma crocheted with thread for many years before she moved onto yarn. She made many doilies, hotpad (she crocheted over popbottle and beer bottle caps). All the girls in the family received these items as gifts every year for Christmas.

Your grandma did a gret job on the tables to.

Thanks, everyone! I do remain in awe of her crochet talent. I don't know if I'll ever have the patience to make one of those big bedspreads like she did. I'm happiest when I can finish a project the same day I start it. I don't know what happened to those tables. When my grandparents moved here in the early 90's they bought all new furniture, so I never got to see the tables in person.

Irikel, I'm not from PR, but all four of my grandparents were. This grandmother and grandfather (my mother's parents) were both originally from Humacao, and my father's parents were both originally from Ponce although they met in New York. I think I still have some distant relatives in Ponce that I've never met.

Archived