Thread Potholder

Becks

This section has so many pages I hope no one has already started a thread on this somewhere back awhile.

I was at an antique mall about two years ago and came upon this what was labeled a "potholder".

http://www.MyOnlineImages.com/Members/ChunkyMonkey/images/thread%20003.jpg

I fell in love with it immediately and bought it so I could figure out how to make one for myself.

Here's the back.

http://www.MyOnlineImages.com/Members/ChunkyMonkey/images/thread%20004.jpg

See how it's just simply a "grid" made out of crochet thread. It's double crocheted, chain two, double crochet, etc. until you have formed this "grid".

That's the first step.

Then you get to decorate the "grid" by using whatever crazy pattern you can think of. It's a great project to get rid of all the excess leftover threads accumulating in your stash. :D

For the top, you simply do three double crochets into one square, then move to the next side of a grid square, up or down, and do three double crochets into that square, etc. You must follow along like a chain wiggling up over and around, until you have completely covered all the sides of each grid square. :lol (I knew this was going to be difficult to explain! LOL!!!) It's really a lot easier than I can describe Hee hee!)

I took a close-up shot here

http://www.MyOnlineImages.com/Members/ChunkyMonkey/images/close-up.bmp

I hope that helps you to see how the crocheting on the top is done.

Well, I had no crochet thread at first to try one on my own. But I did have a lot of candlewicking thread, (I love garage sales!), so I made one using that.

http://www.MyOnlineImages.com/Members/ChunkyMonkey/images/thread%20006.jpg

and the back

http://www.MyOnlineImages.com/Members/ChunkyMonkey/images/thread%20007.jpg

It's not as heavy as the crochet thread one I bought. It's a lot of fun to make!

So then I came across a lot of leftover crochet thread at the Goodwill store.

I finally made one using it. I started with making one square, then I thought, what if I combined it with more? So I made four, combined them, (joining them from the back) and then gridded and crocheted a border around the whole shebang.

http://www.MyOnlineImages.com/Members/ChunkyMonkey/images/thread%20009.jpg

(It must have been just after Valentine's Day as this was all done in pinks and whites, hee hee!)

http://www.MyOnlineImages.com/Members/ChunkyMonkey/images/thread%20010.jpg

Here's the back. Can you see where I've joined the squares and where I added the border?

It's the size of a pillow top and has a nice weight about it.

Here's a perspective shot with a couple of thread thingies so you can kind of see the size...

http://www.MyOnlineImages.com/Members/ChunkyMonkey/images/thread%20012.jpg

Here I put it over my fulled blanket to try and show how you can still see through the grid squares but it didn't really show you much.

http://www.MyOnlineImages.com/Members/ChunkyMonkey/images/thread%20013.jpg

I may make it into a pillow if I do another for the back, (although I could just have the back be cloth, I'm not sure yet.

ANYWAY, I hope I explained it enough for you all to try your hand at making them. They are a lot of fun! :D

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! I love it - it looks very 'funky' which is perfect for my kitchen here in Europe (its an Ikea apartment - so very 'modern' furniture). I wonder if I can figure this out to do in blues....hmmm - thanks for the challenge!

I keep reading your comments, looking at the picture :think reading your comments, looking at the picture :think ..... :lol I think that I have it figured out just about after reading it about 10 times! :scrachin

Thanks for sharing!!

Wow! That is sooo pretty! I recently picked up a simplified version of a similar hotpad...I hadn't had a chance to really look at the pattern though- I will have to dig it out now :)

By the way- your variation is much prettier than the pattern I have

Oh wow! :eek Thanks for sharing this! Those look great! :manyheart I am going to have to try this; I've never seen anything like this before. Thank you, and wow again! I love how yours turned out!!

Kimberly!,

:lol I'm sorry I'm such a terrible explainer on "how-to-do" things! 15.gif

I'd be happy to make you one. If you held it in your hand; you could easily see how it's done. :)

vatonc1,

Yes! A hot pad! That's exactly the word for it! :ty I thought the term "potholder" was not right. You couldn't use this to take hot things out of an oven. It still has the grid holes throughout. It should really only be used to place hot things onto. Like a trivet. Thanks!

xantha,

Thanks for your nice comments as well. :hug

As far as deciding what sort of design to do, I do go a bit overboard with my enthusiasm sometimes! :lol Using a square pattern, (similar to the original diamond pattern), would probably be easiest. I think I just did the hearts because of the colors I had. :P

I was also thinking that; to save time, maybe using already existing "grids" would work. Like the canvas mesh used to make hook-rugs on. It seems like it would work anyway. As long as the lines on it are fixed and don't slide around as sometimes they do. Also, maybe, the plastic canvas grids used to make plastic canvas projects, (such as tissue box covers). Hmmmm, but those might be too rigid to work with. And not big enough squares.

But ,anyway, the hook-rug canvas....I wonder if that would work.......Sorry, some times I tend to :blah babble on, heehee! :lol

Wow Becks, I love it too. :heart I think your idea for a pillow would be fantastic. I can imagine it made with soft, light weight chenille like yarn, or with funky microspun... I love your design in the pinks....

I WANT TO MAKE ONE TOO!!

:jumpyay

(but I have so many UFO's:blush ).

I think this is a commonplace quandary amongst the citizens of this village. Oh well, I hope you don't mind that I saved a picture and your instructions, (which I thought were very clear). Thanks for sharing it!

Diane

Wow, that is really cool - I have all sorts of ideas running through my head right now. I'm thinking that could make a really cool throw rug given the right materials ...

Hmmmmmm ...

That really is cool. I feel like I have seen those before but don't have a clue where. Probably an antique store. Now I'm very tempted to make a couple myself. The rug hooking mesh is a good idea if you want to make one in a hurry. :tup Very nice!! :clap

When I first saw it I instantly thought of a throw rug. Then I wandered into the bath mat frame of mind. Oh the possiblities. Soft next to a crib...If you use the rug mesh, you could probably make different shapes also. I can't keep up with all these cool ideas !

:manyheart

OMG! When my grandfather moved last year, I found several of these that my grandmother and great grandmother had made years before, I just thought they were so beautiful! When he died shortly afterwards, my mom said I could have them. So they've been sitting in a drawer, I'm afraid to let anyone use them! I'll have to get them out nd study them more!:manyheart

Very neat. I may have to try that. I too am going to save your pic and instructions. When cleaning my mother's house I found a bag with lots of crochet cotton.

Lanette, I would really like to see what yours look like.

Ok..I've been thinking about this and the pattern I mentioned yesterday (and have stashed somewhere he!he!) was a free leaflet from Joanne's that I picked up about two weeks ago...It was on the aisle with the thread and rug yarn, I believe it was published by Aunt Lydias. Like I said though, it was no where near as pretty...but it's the same concept.

I have been overwhelmed with sick children the past few days, but if I get a chance, I will dig it out and tell you all a bit more about it.

There's a Jeanette Crews Designs leaflet called "Hot Stuff for the holidays". It's 6 holiday hot pads with matching coasters designed by Susan Lowman. They're this same stuff, with the foundation mesh and then the wavy design on top. The instructions are excellent, very clear. It's a 2003 publication book # 16035.

Susan Rae

How did I miss this post?

Really beautiful. Am I understanding it correctly, the design is crocheted perpendicular to the grid?

Would it work over a grid made out of afghan stitch/ tunisian stitch?

Am I understanding it correctly, the design is crocheted perpendicular to the grid?

It's sort of done right on top of the grid. Like you are crocheting three dimentionally. Think like when you hook rug and you cover over one side of a grid's square with a piece of yarn. This is where you do three double crochets over one.

If you look at the back again, you will see how it is done in a zig zag sort of way, snaking along the four sides of each grid square you have originally crocheted when you make the initial grid at the beginning. Like steps in a set of stairs.

Three double crochets go onto one side of one tiny square on the grid, then you choose either left, right, or continuing straight and crochet three double crochets onto the next side of the same tiny square you are on, or the next grid square, depending on how you decided you wanted your top design to look.

You must remember that since, on the top design, all your double crochet stitches are connected, it will limit how you go about covering your grid. I found it easiest to graph it out onto a graph paper just how to do the design I wanted.

I'm so sorry. I probably confused you even more! :lol

There is a pattern similar to those in the Leasure Arts Leaflet: Contest Favorites Dishcloths. I was looking at it last night to choose some for the dishcloth swap and was surprised when I came upon it. It's on page 5: Diamonds For Christmas, won Third prize. It's done in cotton but you could use the instructions and do it in thread.

Coralie

Archived