I Can't Crochet Snowflakes...

Try using 2 strands of thread instead of one strand. The snowflakes will come out a little larger but will still be pretty.

Maria

Didn't even think about using two strands......I'll give it a shot. But it's not only using thread...it's trying to decipher the pattern. I just can't seem to follow them!

Just use yarn!

There is a woman who works at my acmoore and does amazing crocheted work...can't use thread for anything so she makes her angels, snowflakes, etc out of yarn. She can't figure out why she can use fingering yarn and not size 3 thread even.

Baby yarns can be really fine, try using that instead:hook

I feel you on that. I've managed only to crank out only one very simple bookmark in thread. I've tried a couple of small doilies, but like you, I lose it somewhere in the pattern too. I think I'm going to try some Luster Sheen, then maybe some Size 3, then if that goes well, try the size 10. You're not alone--we're thread-impaired!

The mercurized threads I have trouble working with for long periods of time. It gets rough on my hands, especially after I've used soft yarns for a while.

Interpreting patterns isn't so hard for me unless it's a graph... but I finally came up with a solution for that. I ended up marking the right side of the work with a scrap of Red yarn, and took the pattern and make a "reverse copy" of the graph so that I had a copy of the reverse of the final product. I place both copies in a transparency cover, the "right side" has the original and a Red border, and the "wrong side" is on the opposite side, unmarked. So when I flip my work, I flip my pattern.

Use size 5 or 3 thread or sports weight yarn. Once you get comfortable with the pattern, then try it in size 10.

I don't think the problem is the thread, but the hook. They are thinner and have a tendency to be shorter than the other hooks.:hook

First, most online patterns (and even published ones), have not been edited for typos, and whatnot (lionbrand often makes corrections to its patterns). It might not be your fault. If you need help, I'll be happy to; just message me. Let me know where you found or bought the pattern. Thread is nice, but I found it was easier to transition to thread after working my way down to embroydery thread, and just removing a thread each time. Now I can work with 100 thread. If you use embroydery thread, you could also get fun with the color or the sparkles.

I make snowflakes with something called bedspread weight cotton (little thicker then doily thread) and a size B or C hook. They come out a little bigger but look great. Baby weight with a C or D hook might work for you. Experiment, you might get some unique snowflakes.

Ellie 13

I've always thought that you can see the yarn, but when you work with thread you feel it more than see it. I started working with thread about 10 years ago because of snowflakes. Keep it up, it gets better.:yes

I've found this really pretty pattern for a snowflake that I just can't seem to get the hang of the pattern....Not to mention the thread is driving me crazy as well. Here's the pattern:

http://www.jpfun.com/patterns/free/ornaments/f103016prettysnowflake.shtml

I just can't seem to understand round 2...yes that's as far as I've gotten.

So trust me, you're not alone in your frustration with the thread and the patterns.

Keep trying! :) As a grown-up I tend to forget that practice makes perfect - just like when we were little. Sometimes I expect myself to be able to pick up a new skill right away, but often we have to teach our fingers to do a thing right and that might take time. Keep at it, I know you'll get it!

I've found this really pretty pattern for a snowflake that I just can't seem to get the hang of the pattern....Not to mention the thread is driving me crazy as well. Here's the pattern:

http://www.jpfun.com/patterns/free/ornaments/f103016prettysnowflake.shtml

I just can't seem to understand round 2...yes that's as far as I've gotten.

So trust me, you're not alone in your frustration with the thread and the patterns.

That's the one I've attempted to do as well......and like you, I get lost on round TWO! :angry

I Feel For You I Know The Feelings Best Friend Whips Out The Threat Items And She Will Sit Right Next To Me As I Do Them And I Still Can't Do It Read The Pattern Is A Lost Art Here My Hat Off To You All If You Can Make Anything Out Of The Chicken Scratching And The Threat The Only Thing I Can Come Up With Is I Have Fat Fingers Anything Smaller Then Baby Yarn In My Dreams Only I Need A Magic Wand High 5 And A Big Pat On The Back To All Who Work With The Threat From Big H----

That's the one I've attempted to do as well......and like you, I get lost on round TWO! :angry

What exactly on round 2 is the problem? Let us know and we will try to help. Round 1 is 6 groups of 3 double crochet, with a chain 6 loop between each 3dc group. then you slip stitch the bottom of the last ch6 into the first dc that you made. Then you do 2dc, ch5, 2dc in the first ch6 loop that you made. Then make a dc into the middle dc of the next 3dc group.

If you haven't worked with thread before, I think working out the pattern in yarn is a good step.

Ha! I can't crochet a snowflake either. And I don't even want to anymore. I can get down as far as baby yarn, but give me thread, and gr-r-r-r-r. It twists and turns. The snowflake keeps trying to flip over, the stitch don't come out even.

I prefer to buy them from people who LIKE making snowflakes and do a great job on them. Then I can keep making the things I like to make and we're all happy.

Hi Stephanie,

Happy holidays & Merry Christmas to you. First, have you ever made a yarn snowflake? I guess it's like walking before running, a good idea. Second, every snowflake is unique and different. So if yours isn't like the photo on the pattern, it's OK. Third, crocheting things for decorations is FUN. If it isn't fun, find something else to crochet.

Here is the link for "Mix and Match Snowflakes - How to Make a Yarn Snowflake!"

Design your own and have fun with it.

http://www.texasdg.net/daynascrochet/snowflakes.asp

[Or http://tinyurl.com/245jvw ]

:hug

Archived