Can You Tell The Difference?

I do not understand the "no dye lot" thing! I mean, how can there NOT be a dye lot? That can be super frustrating to see that kind of difference in colors when there's not supposed to have any differences in the first place, hence the "no dye lot", am I right? I'm a perfectionist though, and so I can imagine exactly how frustrating that can be. :(

Yeah, I see it too.

Why not put a stripe of a lighter color right there, maybe cream, or of a darker color, like chocolate, then use the new skein.

Or do a different, more open stitch pattern right there at the change, and then it won't be so noticeable.

I think only other yarny crafters would notice it as it is anyway, so with a stripe of a different color or stitch, it'll look fine.

There ARE numbers on no dye lot skeins you can match up, and I always try to find them and do that.

The sad thing is that a lot of times you do not notice the difference under artificial light, but get it out in daylight and it is blatently obvious. My husband who knits and I have both been burned by this. So sorry this happened to you. The suggestions that have been made are really good ones. I just don't know how we can protect ourselves from this.

Glenda

Why do they say, "NO DYE LOT", when there apparently is a big DIFFERENCE!! So sorry about your problem!! Hope all the ideas you get from here help you out!!

One of the big yarn companies announced a few months ago that the days of the "No dye lot" are coming to an end. The 2 biggest suppliers of acrylic went bankrupt, and they did the "no dye lot" dying, which had something to do with the enormous amounts they processed. The big yarn companies are scrambling to get all the other suppliers on maximum.

In the meantime, they said our yarn supplies are OK, but the first ones to be affected are the light colors, especially whites, off-white, beige, cream, all those types of colors, and light blue. Always check for dye lot numbers on these.

I personally noticed that the variegateds do come with dye lot numbers and are sometimes quite different. I bought some camo that was.

After I read this notice, it occurred to me how much of a push there is now on cotton, bamboo, soy, and silk. I just saw corn. Wool. Mountains of wool. I haven't seen this kind of use of wool since I was a child and my grandmother used wool, because she grew up with it.

No matter what, we should check all labels, and make visual color comparisons from now on.

*sigh*...it's just for me so maybe I'll just leave it like that. This hat is to be worn so the lines go up and down....not round and round...kwim? So...3/4's of my hat will be one brown...and 1/4 will be the other brown...LOL.

At least it will be unique! :crocheting

I'm so sorry, Poochie, and boy, can I identify. My first Seraphina took about 2¼ skeins. While attaching the third skein I realized the second skein I had crocheted in was a different color. Caron Simply Soft. Grrrrrrrr. I had to rip out a whole skein of work and start again. Actually I was so frustrated I stuck the thing in the trash but later retrieved it to go ahead and finish.

yes. and that has happened to me with a blanket for my mom, it wound up ok with the darker colors on the ends and light in the middle but it made me soo mad I didn't want to finish the afghan and hated working on it.

Archived