Hi Everyone.

rddugan

I am sitting with my husband discussing the issue of introducing myself to this forum. I tend to be shy and reticent. He is the opposite. Anyway, I had been viewing some of the more recent introductions to get an idea what to say, which made me want to pack it in, (at least for the night). All the recent people are great writers, and/or are wonderfully warm and friendly, and/or have great experiences, and/or are amazingly generous, and/or can write poetry and speak like a pirate. I told my husband about the great pirate poem left by Captain Hook, and he exclaimed: "Post that poem you wrote about ME" (I wrote a poem about him when I received a spam mail from poetry.com. I used the technique that my college roommate used to win a poetry contest...putting totally unrelated ideas together with emotions on each line...I think hers started off talking about a chaise lounge she saw in the yard...) My husband also suggested that I use HIS picture in my user profile. (You get the picture of the personality difference here - or at least my husband's gregarious nature.)

Anyway, with his enthusiastic encouragement, I will introduce myself. My name is Diane. I am married to a samfrantastic man named Bob. I will probably post his picture one day, but my profile picture is now one of my ornery cat sniffing a toy lamb (to represent my love of yarn). I live in the beautiful Finger Lakes area of New York, where I also work at a stressful job that interferes with my yarn habit. I had wanted to crochet from the time I was a very young girl watching my grandmother make wonderful things for us...these would now be called retro...ponchos, funky vests, as well as afghans, hats, mittens. No one seemed to be able to teach me because I am left handed, but I did finally teach myself when I was about 10 I think. I didn't realized until a couple years ago when I saw my crocheting aunt watching me with a very puzzled look that I do crochet strangely - but the end products seem fine.

I am looking forward to taking part in this warm and welcoming forum. I've been "lurking" a bit and find everyone interesting and full of character. Hope I wasn't too long winded!

:welcomeGood Morning! Welcome Diane! I'm new here too. There's a bunch of great people here, I'm sure you'll fit right in! Have a Happy Day! :flower

Hi Diane! Welcome. I'm only a few hours from you, north of Syracuse. You're going to love it here at Crochetville.

Hi Diane (& Bob)! :hi Welcome to Crochetville!! :welcome There is no such thing as long winded here at Crochetville. We're glad to have you join us! :hug

Hi Diane,

:welcome I'm sure you are going to love it here. I was the same way watching my Grandmothers when I was young. I'm not lefty, but it was very encouraging how patient they were with me. I am lucky to still have my really ultra crafty Grandma still with me. She still crochets too!

Hi Diane! :welcome to Crochetville! I am glad that you decided to say hello! It is always great to meet new people! I grew up being rather shy, but seemed to emerge from my cocoon one day, started talking, and much to my families dismay, I've not stopped since! :rofl

I tend to use my left hand for many things, and even tried to left handed crochet since my fingers tend to cramp up if I go to long with my right hand, but have met with failure so far!

I look forward to seeing some of your finished projects! Its a great group of people here with so many great ideas that I am constantly trying to start more and more new projects!

Hi Diane! Welcome to the group. :hug You don't have to be shy around here. There are many levels of crocheters here, and everyone is really great about helping each other. There are no dumb questions or ideas here. You will see we are like a big family and we love to have new people come and join.

I will be looking forward to hearing about some of your projects, and pics if you have a way to post them.

Hi Diane ... Hi Bob ..

Welcome!

I'm also new .. but, besides being helpful, this is such a friendly, welcoming group. I know you will love it here.:ghug

Welcome I agree so many here are so well spoken I feel like an dork most of the time :lol I just know you'll love it here.

:cowboy Welcome from Houston, Texas!! :cowboy

PS: I have an imaginary St. Bernard named Bob.

LOl :lol I have a chihuahua that thinks she's a St Bernard:dog

:hiHi Diane and Bob

Welcome to Crochetville :welcome you will love it here.

It took me a long time to work up the nerve to introduce myself too and my wonderful hubby encouraged me to finally jump on board.;) I am really glad I did because this is a very friendly group that offers lots of encouragement and help.:ghug

Thanks for the message, Juanita. It's good to know there are other kindred spirits here. (Encouraging husbands are wonderful, aren't they?) By the way - Great photos. I've been looking for pillow ideas for my trendy early 20-year-old nieces - I think they would love your funky pillow. See you!

Diane

Archived