spacebags for skeins?

I saw yet again a spacebag commercial and got to wondering. I have a tad too many skeins of yarn ... only like 3 huge bins worth! ... and what if I put them into spacebags and vacuumed them down in size?

has anyone tried it?

I ask because I read lots of reviews which said the sucked-out air tends to leak back in after a while.

I wouldn't mind repeating the vacuuming once a month or so but I sure as heck don't want the bags to start popping their way out of the closet like some Fibber Maggee and Molly show!:eek

Well, I have blankets in mine...but I do like your suggestion! I've not had any 'explosions', hehe, and only one has leaked, thanks to my 6yr old. The other is still like I put it in the closet and its been there...er...6 mos or better?

HTH

I saw yet again a spacebag commercial and got to wondering. I have a tad too many skeins of yarn ... only like 3 huge bins worth! ... and what if I put them into spacebags and vacuumed them down in size?

has anyone tried it?

I ask because I read lots of reviews which said the sucked-out air tends to leak back in after a while.

I wouldn't mind repeating the vacuuming once a month or so but I sure as heck don't want the bags to start popping their way out of the closet like some Fibber Maggee and Molly show!:eek

that is what I have done, of course three weeks later, I had to reopen the silly bags to start using stash for Christmas presents, but that is ok I just revaccuum it after I take the yarn for a project out. It truly does save space. I ws concerned about the yarn needing to breathe, but since I have it open about once a week, it hasn't been a problem.

The only problem I have heard about with storing yarn in the SpaceBags is that natural fibers (wool, alpaca, etc) tend to crush and not "bounce back" as well when they are taken out. The acrylic yarns and cotton yarns are ok though. I havent tried the bags myself, so this is just what I have heard...

I have two under my bed and I'm in them two much to worry about re-vacuming out the air. Plus, one of my leaks and after a few days it's full of air again. They would work great if it's stash that you don't plan on useing for a while. (is there such a thing :think )

I use the space bags all the time for my yarn stash, since most of my stash is acrylic blend. The work great, and I haven't had any leaks at all! I store them under the beds hidden by a dust ruffle and pull them out as needed! As Martha would say "It's a good thing!"

I wish i had had the luck the rest of you have with space bags. I don't know how many of them i have bought but none of them stayed flat. Am i doing something wrong. I finally gave up and threw them away. It sure would help my 4 large plastic containers of yarn. i could flatten them down to maybe one?

Maybe that new style? I've seen a commercial for a type that is boxy on the bottom that might work better for yarn. I have never seen any of this type in stores though so it might be a TV offer only for now.

I use the one with the "boxy" bottom for my summer or winter cloth storage... One out of the three leak air back in... I bought mine at walmart

I saw an ad for a suitcase bag with a one way valve. You don't vacuum it out, you roll/press out the air. Has anyone seen them? I would try the jumbo Zip-locks, if it doen't work you can use them for something else.

Ellie 13

Several of you have mentioned the roll-type bags for traveling ... but I know I don't have the arm/hand strength to push down hard enough to roll skeins air-less.

Is "spacebags" the only game in town or do other manufacturers make them as well?

I thought I was so smart thinking of the vacuum bags for the yarn in our pull trailer. We are full-time rver's and both do yarn crafts. One thing they do not mention is those bags will melt if they get too hot. I have tried making my own plastic bags from the heavy rolls of plastic like Walmart fabric department used to sell by the yard. Of course, I cannot make them air-tight, but they do hold up better.

Glenda

Archived