Crocheting Al Fresco

Today was a beautiful day here 80 degrees. My girls were chomping at the bit to go outside and play. Since I won't let them out unsupervised (to many abduction stories lately), I set up my folding chair in the driveway and crocheted a dishcloth. LOL! I am sure I was a funny sight. I frogged it twice, because I made it too big, but I got it done and started another. :D

Sounds great... it was very nice here, too, but didn't end up crocheting today :(

But I love crocheting outside. Why have a backyard if you can't appreciate it once in a while!

:book Raquel

Ya know,

I don't think I've ever crocheted outside! Silly really, because the parks here are wonderful and I need a change of scenery. My couch has a nice groove in it from all my hours crocheting on it! :lol

It was beautiful here on Sunday. I spent some time outside with the youngest. He ran around like crazy and I crocheted a couple of granny squares. I like to sit in the bench swing and read or crochet.

Robin :hook

I've always knitted and crocheted outdoors, for the very same reason you do -- keeping an eye on my children. :) My neighbors rarely see me outdoors without a hook or needle, I think. It seems ridiculous to sit and wait *anywhere* without my needlework - doctors office, library, waiting rooms, restaurant, etc.

I always crochet or knit outdoors...at the park, backyard, poolside, beach....my stitching goes with me everywhere! I've even crocheted (with thread no less!) outdoors in the winter while watching my sons sledding. DH just finished building an extension to the deck and we're installing a gazebo with mosquito netting so I can crochet and knit outdoors even more! The weather here in Quebec went from winter to summer overnight, skipping spring totally, so think I'll be using it allot!

I just wanted to say thank you for not leaving your children unattended! So many parents think it's okay these days. My brothers were kidnapped from school at ages 5 and 7, thankfully, they were found two years later. Safe, but not okay. We need more parents like you in this world!! I am sure your children will thank you one day!

Donna

Donna,

That is exactly why I will not leave my children. So many terrible, terrible stories. Too much of a chance they will be snatched.I am so happy your brothers were found safe. I have an 8 yr old, a 3 yr old, and a 4 month old, and the 2 oldest love to play outside. So, I crochet outside. I'm not going to keep them in because I want to crochet and I'm not going to leave them alone because I want to! So, I just set myself up outside with a patio chair and table, and I'm good to go! I too think it would be a waste to just sit and wait so in between playing with them I am crocheting. :)

I crochet in the driveway too! I am sure I am a funny site. I put a chair about a foot into the (pretty quiet) road, so I can catch balls and children riding down the driveway on tricycles.... with my feet, of course, because I am busy crocheting away....

I too do my crochet or knitting outside. Last year I was given a portable spinning wheel by my wonderful hubby and I even take that outside. Last summer I taught some of the neighborhood girls how to spin and they always come over to check to see what "Miss Kim" is working on this time. It's great.

I love sitting in the backyard and crocheting. When I assemble I sit at a small table which I can move around to be in the sun or shade (depending on current temps). When I'm working on a smaller project like a dishcloth or an afghan square I like to sit in the swing in the gazebo. The key here in Houston is controlling the skeeters!! :cowboy

What a thoughtful DH you have! I'm just learning to spin on a drop spindle and plan on taking that along with me too on trips to the park and elsewhere with my youngest son :D

I too do my crochet or knitting outside. Last year I was given a portable spinning wheel by my wonderful hubby and I even take that outside. Last summer I taught some of the neighborhood girls how to spin and they always come over to check to see what "Miss Kim" is working on this time. It's great.

Good for you, not leaving your kids outside alone. Smart mom. It makes me sick when I see little kids in our subdivision, no older than my youngest (2 and a half), playing in the road, by themselves.... I feel like calling the police. I just started letting my twelve (now 13 year old) play outside by himself last summer, and I said "Stay by the windows where I can see you."

I don't usually crochet outside, but I do crochet in car pool.

Tina

timelesscreations.blogspot.com

I just get so terrified of my girls being out of my sight. It is sad really. I remember when I was 7 or 8 going outside and playing all day in the summer until dark. We stayed in the neighborhood, but I am not sure my mom knew exactly where I was at any given moment. We also used to walk about a mile to the convenience store to get candy. No one ever bothered us. And we roded out bikes all over the place.

I remember riding my bike all day, too. And playing outside til dark, too. My dad had no idea where I was. But there is no way I would let my kids do that! If they want to go for a bike ride, I have to go with them. Or they have to go with a buddy. Then I start worrying after five minutes and tell them "Okay come in now." Not very fun for them, but.... It's too scary...:(

Tina

timelesscreations.blogspot.com

I used to crochet a lot when I was waiting to pick my kids up at school. They're both grown now so I don't do that anymore. I also crochet when I'm sitting with my DH at the dr office or even going down the road when he's driving and it's a fairly long trip, like this morning, I started and finished a rose bath pouf on the trip up and back. I've also taken my crochet bag to church because we get there fairly early-early enough to have some coffee before Sunday School so I'll crochet on one of my projects there. The ladies there love all the stuff I work on and that's where I got the other order for the rose afghan, the lady who got the first one wants another and she goes to our church.

:frog

I love to crochet outside too! Its a little messy here lately with all this pollen. I'm afraid to bring anything outside. The stuff just floats like smokey green clouds and gets all over everything. :eek EWWWWWW. Once it settles (weeks from now) I'll venture out there again, projects in hand.

Lisa

Archived