my many firsts seraphina shawl

kkms

hubby and i were invited to a wedding. hubby was nice enough to buy me a new dress and shoes for the wedding. dress was black and halter top. and with the wedding being a fall wedding in new england, and me always being COLD, said i need a shawl to keep me warm. so my first 'first' was to make myself something, the shawl ,in less than a week!:eek i saw someones seraphina and fell in love. well i had difficulty at first but quickly got the hang of it. so i had hubby stop and pick me up some patons grace and got started on tuesday. well he only got me one skein and that did not get me very far so off i went to get some more...4 more. well that was not enough either. so thursday night i decide to call it quits and am folding it up to hide from the cats and to my horror realize that i have all different color blacks!:eek:angry since most of my yarn is 'no dye lot' i did not bother to look:blush at the die lots and had two different ones running through the shawl. now what?! so back to micaels to get one more skein

(a total of 11 now) and some rit dye. i finished the shawl around 2:30 friday afternoon picked kassie up from school and came home to try and dye (my next first)the darn thing before we headed out to gymnastics. washed and dried just barely - before we had to leave yesterday. so this shawl was made with patons grace (almost like thread - another first) and a g hook. the dye did not totally work:no , but worked enought to make me feel better about it:yes . and guess what?! it was 86 degrees and extremely humid yesterday...so all that work and i did not even need it:angry

now kassie is trying to convince me to give it to her...NOT!!!!!!!!!!!! i may not use it all the time (only special occastions) but its mine! all mine! :devil

well here is the final result! pics are clickable

th_IMG_0656.jpg

th_IMG_0654.jpg

It's beautiful!!! From the pictures you can't notice the difference in colour.

Sometimes different variations in colour really lend a nice effect to a garment.

You did a great job and all the hard work was definitely worth it!

thanks everyone! i have put it away for now until the next "special occasion" and kassie has not asked for it again. and as for the hair...lets just say it felt so good to come home and take it down...those bobby pins really hurt!

Archived