Knitting and crochet

In my opinion, it is just a matter of preference. I find crochet is more forgiving and flexible. But I love knitting for wearables that are smoother and and drape well. Crochet is faster for me, and I can carry it in smaller spaces.

I don't loose my place with crochet, but tend to lose my place and stitches when knitting. Of course someone else may feel differently.

You should learn both and make your own decisions. Some of the knitted lace patterns are gorgeous, and although we work hard at it, nothing really replaces a knitted cable. At the same time, nothing can compete with a crocheted lace edging (except tatting), and the freedom of shaping and forming items (toys, balls, purses, etc...) with a minimum of sewing is a very valuable tool that I have found only with crochet.

They are both art forms, unique to themselves yet essential to all.

It's an old argument that goes between only-crocheters and only-knitters. I do both and, as Happy Old Cro said, find them useful in their own ways. If you learn both, it is really helpful because designers often combine techniques, and you will rarely come across a pattern you can't do.

I know how to do both knitting and crochet. In fact I learned knitting first when I was 15 years old. Learned crochet later on after I married. I prefer crochet as it seems to go faster than knitting and as was said already, its more forgiving than knitting is. If you drop a crochet stitch its easy to pick up. In knitting it isn't as easy and can cause a hole in your finished project. Matter of individual preference really

Lynn

Big difference between the two disciplines is that knitting is done with 2 to 4 or 5 needles (4 to 5 is usually when one is doing socks, but not limited to that) and crocheting is done with a hook. Both disciplines are working with yarn or thread by making loops that will loop into other loops. Knitting seems to have more drape, but like others have said crocheting can be more forgiving. Knitting has many stitches on a needle, which if there is a problem with dropped stitches, it can be a pain to correct...crocheting has one loop at any given time and it's usually much easier to correct a problem, even if one has to rip out a lot of work to get to the problem first...

Knitting can be done on a machine...there is no machine (yet) that can duplicate crocheting except for chain stitching only...

Crocheting can go in any direction...(think of a typical round doily) it's a little tricker with knitting, although I recently did see a knitted doily in the round at a flea market a week ago...and it was done in thread.

Crocheting is faster than hand knitting for the most part, although I know some German women knitting continental style that can almost match my crochet speed...

Is one better than the other? I don't think so...it's all a matter of preference. I can do both, but I'm faster with crocheting.

I do both, and like previously mentioned, it depends on the type of garment and fabric you are looking to produce. I like both, but I crochet faster and get a more immediate product. Yes, I am plagued with the need for "instant gratification"!

I love crochet and can't knit; my daughter knits and finds crochet frustrating. We both have good results and can make almost anything, but I must confess that I find crocheted cables less attractive than those which are knitted.

i love doing both knitting and crocheting. i love the way knitted fabric looks...and the way it drapes...it just takes a lot more time to knit something that crochet it. i love to crochet because i can go quite fast. as said before, i would learn both...and then make you own decisions...especially since there are so many beautiful patterns that combine both techniques.

There are major differences in my opinion between knit and crochet. This is a good thing.

Many others have listed the differences but there are times you want one or the other.

I just commented to a friend of mine today (she can only knit) that it was a mistake to pick up my crochet hook. As long as I was just knitting for a goodly spell, I loved it and started a couple of Ygroups for it. But then I needed something quickly so I chose crochet and it is really hard to go back to the salt mines and knit again. :rofl

There are major differences in my opinion between knit and crochet. This is a good thing.

Many others have listed the differences but there are times you want one or the other.

I just commented to a friend of mine today (she can only knit) that it was a mistake to pick up my crochet hook. As long as I was just knitting for a goodly spell, I loved it and started a couple of Ygroups for it. But then I needed something quickly so I chose crochet and it is really hard to go back to the salt mines and knit again. :rofl

Boy do I understand that feeling...

It's strange, but I get a 'repetitive stress injury' in my right forearm from knitting (all I want to do is basic scarves), but not crocheting.

I envy people who can knit such beautiful clothing, but guess I'll stick to my crocheting (afghans, mostly).

I don't find the mechanics (how I hold my needles and piece and yarn when knitting vs. how I hold my hook and piece and yarn when I'm crocheting) much different; I find them quite similar, especially continental style knitting and crochet...the motions and how the hook/needles are held....but I agree with above the main differences is the speed of completing the project. I totally get the "instant gratification" of crochet. Knitting takes longer to finish, let's say a scarf, vs. crocheting it. Crochet is bulkier and looser and works up quicker than knitting which is finer and tighter and flatter (unless you use bulky yarn and large needles). Each has its own unique attributes and can work beautifully together. I really do enjoy both. DetroitDeb--I empathize with you on the knitting pain. I had some calcium deposits in my right shoulder and also diabetic stiff shoulder which I of course ignored for a while until I couldn't even lift my arm...I eventually had phys. therapy 3 nights a week for a few months and even still several years later am doing exercises for it on my own...I found that learning different styles of knitting helped with the pain. My husband said my arm had become "muscle bound" due to the repetitive motions and I think that he had something with his "diagnosis"....so going through a slightly different motion with the different styles of knitting, and doing exercises to stretch those muscles that become stiff and pained, also helps me. D

I also crochet and knit. I alternate between the two so at any moment I've got a crochet WIP and a knit WIP.

I don't think one is better than the other. And I love patterns that combine the two.

Both are great--I just prefer crochet. Knitting frustrates me because when I make a mistake, it's not easy for me to correct it. It's hard to just frog back a row or two, so much easier to do so in crochet. Plus, as others have mentioned, the slow nature of knitting is tough for me. I wish I were better at it so I could do wearables, but that's not gonna happen!

I've crocheted for years and I adore it. However; I am learning to knit just so I can have all those beautiful cabled sweaters and afghans. To help me with that, I bought myself Knitting For Dummies which has been a huge help in getting me to understand what I'm doing.

As for the differences, I find crocheting faster and perfect for when I want to whip up a doily or an afghan which I do most often. With knitting, and this is probably because I'm learning, I find it awkward with the needles but the drape of a sweater wonderful.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

Archived