Mesh Bag

Many years ago I made a shopping bag out of thread. I have no idea how I did it, 'cause I lost misplaced the pattern, but it took a while because it hurts my hands to work for very long with thread. I did not want to do it again.

Recently, I saw a shopping bag in a worsted weight 100% cotton yarn. When I was ready to make it I couldn't find the pattern, I thought I was. Sigh.

So this is what I came up with:

DSCN3681.jpg

Then I made this (empty, so you can see the difference):

DSCN3682.jpg

Mesh Bag

Sugar 'n' Cream cotton yarn (about 5oz.)

"H" hook

Gauge: not important, but the first two rounds of my bag measure 3 1/4 inches

Ch 6, join with sl st in 6th ch from hook to form ring.

rnd 1: ch 4, dc in ring, (ch 2, dc in ring) 5 times, ch 2, sl st in 2nd ch of ch 4. 7 ch 2 spaces.

rnd 2: ch 4, (dc in ch 2 sp, ch 2, dc in next dc, ch 2) 6 times, dc in ch 2 sp, ch 2, sl st in 2nd ch of ch 4. 14 ch 2 spaces.

rnd 3: ch 4, (dc in ch 2 sp, ch 2, dc in next dc, ch 2) 13 times, dc in ch 2 sp, ch 2, sl st in 2nd ch of ch 4. 28 ch 2 spaces.

rnd 4: ch 4 (dc in ch 2 sp, ch 2, dc in next dc, ch 2, dc in next dc, ch 2) 13 times, dc in ch 2 sp, ch 2, dc in next dc, ch 2, sl st in 2nd ch on ch 4. 42 ch 2 spaces.

rnd 5: 1 sc in ch 2 sp, (ch 5, sc in next ch 2 sp) 41 times, ch 2, dc in 1st sc.

From now on use a stitch marker in first ch 5 sp of each round.

rnd 6-23: (ch 5, sc in next ch 5 sp) 41 times, ch 2, dc in top of dc of previous round.

top side 1: ch 1, 2 sc over side of dc, 2 sc in next ch 5 sp, (1 sc in next ch 5 sp) 4 times, (2 sc in next ch 5 sp) 2 times, ch 1, turn.

Sc in each sc across, ch 1, turn.

Sc in each sc across, fasten off.

top side 2: skip 13 ch 5 sp, attach yarn to 14th ch 5 sp, 2 sc in sp, 2 sc in next ch 5 sp, (1sc in next ch 5 sp) 4 times, (2sc in nest ch 5 sp) 2 times, ch 1, turn.

Sc in each sc across, ch 1, turn.

Sc in each sc across, ch 1

handle 1, rnd 1: sc in side of each row of top side 2, (3 sc in next ch 5 sp) 3 times, (2 sc in next ch 5 sp) 2 times, (1 sc in next ch 5 sp) 3 times, (2 sc in next ch 5 sp) 2 times, (3 sc in next ch 5 sp) 3 times, sc in side of each row of top side 1, ch 50, sl st in first sc on side of top side 2 (be careful not to twist ch).

rnd 2: ch 1, sc in each sc across and in each ch, sl st in first sc.

rnd 3: ch 1, sc in each sc around, sl st in first sc. Fasten off.

handle 2: attach yarn to the side of the last sc in top side 1, work the same as handle 1.

Weave in ends.

Legal stuff: This pattern is a product of my imagination, but if it is coincidentally too much like a previously published pattern, I apologize. Please let me know. Otherwise, this is my pattern and I own the copyright (2007). You may make a copy of the pattern. You may make things from the pattern to give as gifts or to sell or to use yourself. You may not sell the pattern, post the pattern on another site or imply that it is your pattern. You may link to this pattern.

If you find any errors in this pattern or if you have an idea on how I can make it more clear or if you just have a question, please let me know.

JoAnn

If your gauge is the same as mine it will be about 23" long by 14" wide. It stretches quite a bit when it has stuff in it. You could make it longer just by adding more rnd 6-23 rounds, but I didn't want it to get too heavy when full.

If your gauge is the same as mine it will be about 23" long by 14" wide. It stretches quite a bit when it has stuff in it. You could make it longer just by adding more rnd 6-23 rounds, but I didn't want it to get too heavy when full.

Thanks joanieponytail.

I have been wanting to make some shopping bags to carry to the store, but the ones that I have seen aren't what I wanted THIS is just what I have been looking for!! :clap

Thanks for posting the pattern, I'm off to make me some bags!

When my 3yo daughter saw these pictures, she was enchanted. I don't know why, but she even got made at me when I scrolled past the pictures. (I think she's a girly-girl with a penchant for bags and purses!)

I had some miscellaneous cotton-blend baby yarn laying around, so I made a scaled down version for her. It holds a bunch of stuffed animals, and she is happy.

Sorry the picture is sideways, but flicker gives me an error every time I try to rotate.

1533080247_1dbf89171b_m.jpg

Thanks for all the kind comments on my bag.

Krakovianka, the one you made for your daughter looks so nice. Your daughter is a doll. Thanks for sharing the picture.

Michael's had some cotton yarn on clearance Monday, so I am already making more. I think people will be getting them for Christmas this year.

Thanks so much for the pattern! And I love it in the variegated yarn!

I too have made these bags in thread and my hands have said "No!" to repeating that experience! But using the worsted weight cotton should be such much less painful!!

I'm definetly going to have to try and make a couple of these. If I can manage it, I might even give them out as holiday gifts. (I'm terrible at finishing my projects :blush )

Thanks a bunch for posting this pattern!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for posting the picture of the one you made, apecaut. It is so gratifying to see that others have been able to follow the pattern. I like the color of your yarn.

I used both of the ones in the original post to help me evacuate during the fires we had here last week (our house and neighborhood are fine --whew), but I did not want to use the ones I had made for Christmas gifts, Because then I would be giving used gifts. So I left them behind in the house, so if our house had burned I would have been able to give the intended recipients ashes, but unused ashes. Sheesh! The way your brain works in a crisis. I did take the tunisian hook I had such a hard time finding, though, so at least part of my brain was working.:lol

Archived