In Need of Footbags/Update

minwifeof4boys

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finished another one last night, so that makes 2. Not sure if I can get to the PO today though. I hope so, otherwise I'll go tomorrow morning.

Anyone try the hacky sacks with the worsted wieght cotton? I might try one to see how it feels. They probably work up much quicker than the thread.

Lea - How many do you have so far?

I have a total of 32 so far .....Beth sent money for postage which was such a nice thing... this is great... in his unit.. and there is another unit attached to theirs of 120.. PLUS apparently he has an Iraqi police officer that shadows him and he wants to teach him how to hackey.... wouldn't it be funny to watch the news and see every one hackey sacking in Iraq with our little footbags????:lol

I almost have the 3rd finished. I will box everything up and send them out on Monday.

Are you planning on sending more at some other time? I wouldn't mind making more in my spare time (the little that I've got).

I did most of mine with sock yarn but a couple were with a ww weight a couple were cotton and one was 100 percent wool. But the majority were sock yarn. My authorities at work say that size really does not matter with hacky sacks just gives more of a challenge!

"Just because my lips aren't moving doesn't mean I'm not counting shh!"

I have a total of 32 so far .....Beth sent money for postage which was such a nice thing... this is great... in his unit.. and there is another unit attached to theirs of 120.. PLUS apparently he has an Iraqi police officer that shadows him and he wants to teach him how to hackey.... wouldn't it be funny to watch the news and see every one hackey sacking in Iraq with our little footbags????:lol

That would be so NEAT!!:cheer No more weapons, just hackey sacks!!:lol:)

Lots of big thank yous from yesterday's mail! Angelfire, Coralie, Judy & Chiscrochetcrazy...We are up to 52 now ! Great job ladies...

... Josh called Sat. morning and I told him that the hackeys would be coming his way.. They are anxious to receive, not just for themselves but for the Iraq children too...The area they are stationed at is a slum of Baghdad and the other day he came across a group of children playing ball with a ball made from torn rags wrapped together...He asked if some of you wouldn't mind allowing them to share with these children in his patrol area

....This out pour of support really shows that no matter how we feel about the war... we are Americans, and we love our soldiers!!!:hug

I am sure that anyone who made the hackey sacks would not mind one bit, if they shared them with the children.

Let me know if you are sending another package, I am sure I can get a few more done.

Great that you are up to 52. Give a call and we will come with hook and yarn.:hook

I send out my box with 3 hacky sacks and playing cards yesterday around lunch time. I hope they don't take too long to get there!

The first batch of footbags arrived ( I had sent them out in two batches)... the guys in the unit kept a few for themselves ( fighting over the team colors MJ) and then they took the rest to the dump children.... The children were throwing pieces of colored paper and things they had found back at the children and the soldiers were sort of freaking out... but what the interpreter told them that it was the end of Ramadan , and the day they threw them was a special day... the children thought he soldiers had bought them presents!!!..Josh said it was a moment engraved forever on his brain.... and he and the guys want to thank you all so much for taking hte time to do this... I'll update when the next wave arrives....

Lea, what's the plan now? Do you want more hacky sacks? Or other items?

If so, I think I'll try the #10 thread instead of embroidery floss...it wasn't successful for me at all). But the cotton WW would certainly make up faster!

I have never made one, but I found a pattern. I would make some out of sugar and cream cotton, would that be right? and sturdy? Maybe they wouldn't get a leak so easily if the beans on the inside were in their own thin cotton bag so they can't get out if the sack gets a hole in it?? Are you needing more and are we sending them to you already stuffed? I'm just wondering about the postage now. Are you getting a special rate to send them to IRAQ?? Thanks for all the support you are giving these men!!! :manyheart

Right now we have enough balls for the unit and the children... I have several churches sending boxes of raisins and granola bars etc for the troops and the kiddos...

..After the first of the year I might to a " lovey or small teddy bear/stuffie drive for them... they don't have homes really just pieces of metal leaning against each other so Josh said to let them enjoy their balls for now...

...To ship something to Iraq APO is regular mail rate.... so far we are good with postage ( Beth sent a check that covered one box) and I did the other, Josh is more then willing to pay postage when needed... his heart breaks for these children....

..I'll let you know the next go round what they need...

Glad to hear the bags were a big hit.

Ah you mention sports or football to guys and you can sit back and relax, they are good for quite a while.:hook

Will keep an eye out if there is anything else I can help with.

Archived