Gorgeous, Unusual Doily on eBay

birdlady1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROSES-AND-HUMMING-BIRDS-CROCHET-DOILY_W0QQitemZ300145747747QQihZ020QQcategoryZ41230QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Kathy, I'd love if you could design something similar (or does anyone know where I can find this pattern?) I'd be first in line to test and buy it!

Wow, that is beautiful. If anyone finds out where we could buy the pattern, please let us know. That would make an awesome Christmas present for my hummingbird loving friends!!!

I received an email from the doily's artist. It's an original pattern and not for sale, she said.:(

Wow, that is really too bad, it is beautiful, I know my parents would love that and so would I since we have hummers fluttering around our homes.

Oh Kathy, it would be great if you could somehow create something simular, I would even test if not buy something like that.

Considering then that it is a piece of original artwork, I think she's selling it pretty cheap. Except for the birds, I think the design elements are fairly simple, and it is the way they are joined and shaped that makes it so unusual. Really very clever and pretty.

Wow!!!!! that was gorgeous!! Too bad she doesn't want to sell it, she could make a tidy some just from people here on the board that would be willing to buy it, I know I would.

Out of curiousity, what was she selling it for?

Honestly, if this is her own design, I don't think anyone here can copy that design then offer it for free or to sell. That would be copy right infringement and not considerate of the designer.

You might be able to create your own hummingbird pattern but it would need to be different.

Wow!!!!! that was gorgeous!! Too bad she doesn't want to sell it, she could make a tidy some just from people here on the board that would be willing to buy it, I know I would.

Out of curiousity, what was she selling it for?

I suggested to her that she try to sell the pattern to one of the crochet magazines. She hasn't replied to that email yet.

The original doily is on auction. Currently it is at $29, with a little over two days to go.

Honestly, if this is her own design, I don't think anyone here can copy that design then offer it for free or to sell. That would be copy right infringement and not considerate of the designer.

You might be able to create your own hummingbird pattern but it would need to be different.

Yes, it would be copyright infringement, even if it hasn't been "officially" copyrighted. Something similar would be fabulous; perhaps using a design other than the pineapple and maybe different flowers?

How much different would it have to be so it's not considered copyright infringement? Amy?

Yes, it would be copyright infringement, even if it hasn't been "officially" copyrighted. Something similar would be fabulous; perhaps using a design other than the pineapple and maybe different flowers?

How much different would it have to be so it's not considered copyright infringement? Amy?

I am NOT qualified to answer the question of how much change is required so as not infringe upon another's copyright. Anybody who creates a pattern using this doily for inspiration would be well-advised to ask that question of an attorney who specializes in intellectual property law. Using a pattern as inspiration for your own ideas is one thing, attempting to make a very close copy is an entirely different matter.

All I can do is answer as to whether any such pattern would be in keeping with Crochetville's guidelines. And if the purpose is to create a knockoff that's as-near-as-possible to the original, I agree that would not be respectful of the original designer and we would not let the pattern be posted here, linked to from here, or discussed in any other way.

I believe it was katchkan that you were all asking to come up with a similar pattern. Kathy is very talented as a designer, from what I know of her, she is also very, very respectful of the work of other designers and she would not dream of coming up with any pattern that could be considered an infringement on another's work. She may be willing to come up with a similar type of pattern, but I'm confident that anything she designed would also bear her own unique stamp on it and would not infringe up on another's work.

That is quite a unique doily. I was thinking all day long while I was out how to address this thread.

See I could never sleep at night if I copied someones elses designs. Yes I could do it. But if I want others to respect my creativitey then I must also respect theirs. I purposefully don't browse the doilies except what I see on here, so my designs come only from my own imagination. I never want someone to feel like I stole their thunder. That designer deserves to reap all the rewards and all the praise for that piece. Even if it wasn't copyright infringement and I do believe it would be. I would feel wrong about it.

Make her day and let her know you love her piece. Encourage that type of creativity.

Sorry to put you on the spot, Kathy. I didn't mean to. :hug One-of-a-kind items are meant to be enjoyed and appreciated for their uniqueness.

However, if my financial status will permit, this wonderful doily will be "living" in Colorado.

Archived