Gifts for a Hunter

In my family's Christmas exchange, I pulled my cousin's name from the hat. He's 27, newly married, and an avid hunter. Perhaps "sportsman" is a better term. He fishes, hunts birds and deer, trains dogs, etc. etc.

So, what can I craft him? I had started on a pair of embroidered pillows with a medival hunting theme. However, I think his wife (also an avid sportswoman) would like them more than he would!

So - I'm looking for suggestions. Does anyone have a hunter in their lives that likes crafts? What kind of crafty things would they like?

Or am I better off just buying him something from a sporting goods store?

I'm thinking of doing the following chart and framing it up, but again, probably something his wife would like more:

swdeer4.jpg

It depends on the person. One year, I made my Dad a quillow (pillow-quilt is another name), one side was solid fleece, the other side was a wildlife print, and for the pocket I used a quilt square. We also do a name drawing, and typically, for the hunters in my family, I go with a gift card or something they request (I always send out a "gift information request" because I have so many relatives). For instance, last year I got silk "long underwear" for a couple of cousins, because they wanted them and I happened to be at Cabela's when they were on sale! :lol

Good luck! I love Christmas, but oy! it gets harder every year! :lol

You can never have too many hats, gloved and chest warmers (basically covers your full neck and goes down onto your chest and back).

OK! I'm a hunter et al. I would suggest an UBW hat or an earflap hat in either saftey (Bright) orange or camo, make a nice warm scarf, and mabey some wristwarmers or convertable mittens and your good to go! might want to consider some warm slippers for when ya take off your boots. Also the flannelghan thats so popular reminds me of a hunting lodge somehow:think Just remember to leave of fringes and floppy stuff:)

Hay a thread that i actually can contribute something to!!!

I'm thinking mittens with a trigger finger opening like a slit that normally would stay closed, would be really appreciated. Made of warm wool, of course.

I don't hunt anymore... i leave that to my sons, but i remember having cold fingers. Come to think of it i still get cold fingers.. specially on the steering wheeel in the winter.

Great job on the stag!

Jimbo

Definitely something to keep him warm. Those fingerless gloves with the fold-back mitten cover, a thick hat or ski mask/balcava (sp?). I've never personally known a hunter to wear a scarf, maybe a neck gator (like the turtleneck off a shirt, without the shirt). Nice warm socks would be welcome, too.

My DH and SIL's are all hunters, we spend at least a month hunting in the fall. I also bought shells and put them in the stockings.... Also bought them all nice gun cases (hard plastic) one year..... if youwant to crochet something those other ideas are great......you can always make a camo ghan!!! Good luck

My hubby is an avid hunter. For him, I have made a camoghan (ripple pattern), a little treasure bag in camo yarn (he uses it hold his bullets) and a camo hat. I have also made camo hats and camo scarves for his hunting buddies. He says they were a big hit.

Or... going out on a limb... maybe one of RoseRed's flannelghans. They're rustic and woodsy... ask Jimbo, he's got one! :D that is, if you're wanting to do something for the house...

The gloves/hat/scarf with a gift cert is a nice idea too. Maybe one of those buckwheat 'thermal' seats with a wool covering. I'm sure his butt gets cold/tired/sore from sitting in the blind or tree stand for hours. I'm sure he'll appreciate anything you make him.

I agree with Addey the Flannelghan is terrific. I made one for my 14 yr old son who is an outdoor/hunting fanatic. It worked up nicely and is super warm.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42711&highlight=flannelghan is the link to see the pics.

I used Camo and Orange Yarn and it really did turn out fabulous. Now I have crocheted his entire life and he loved this afghan he requesed another one for a friend and later called me and asked me make one w/ a zipper to use when he is Bear Hunting. I said well take the one I made you and fold it in half. "What and ruin it NO way" not bad from a 14 yr old boy. I think he likes it:manyheart

why sheeeeeeoooooot, aint nuthin makes a feller feel more woodsey than one'o Rose's Lumberjack Flannelgahns. And Ah'm speakin fer mah sef on accounta Ah got me one!! (sorry i slip into Crick'ese too easy when i think of Rose's Flannelgahn.

You bet that'd be a PERFECT gift!!

that is a nice peice, but my husband is also a hunter, he would much rather have a camo afghan. a while ago he went and bought fleece , in orange, camo, black, and green, he wnats me to make a bunch of squares,crochet around them, and stich them together, i am using the same colors of yarn, and tan to stistch them together with

My Hubby is a major hunter (can't say I get the attraction) and I have promised that one of these days I'm going to make him an crochet pic afghan done with a cross stitch pattern of a deer head. Can't find a pattern? Dark lilac will put any pic onto a grid. I took one and reduced the number of colors to 10. My Hubby's not big on browning (it's a brand) but if your BIL is they have a really neat one color design that would look awesome on an afghan.

In my family's Christmas exchange, I pulled my cousin's name from the hat. He's 27, newly married, and an avid hunter. Perhaps "sportsman" is a better term. He fishes, hunts birds and deer, trains dogs, etc. etc.

So, what can I craft him? I had started on a pair of embroidered pillows with a medival hunting theme. However, I think his wife (also an avid sportswoman) would like them more than he would!

So - I'm looking for suggestions. Does anyone have a hunter in their lives that likes crafts? What kind of crafty things would they like?

Or am I better off just buying him something from a sporting goods store?

I'm thinking of doing the following chart and framing it up, but again, probably something his wife would like more:

swdeer4.jpg

All the guys in my family hunt, and fish and stuff, if you an get some camo yarn, there is a great hat in SnB for guys done in camo yan with orange trim. I am making several of them for the guys to wear in the woods also, a pair of fingerless gloves with the flap over them that makes into a mitten would be great.

How about a glitten? The pattern is a knit one but I think you could crochet one just as easily by combining/adapting a crochet glove and mitten pattern for the areas you'd need.

HTH!

Archived