12 year old needs our help

squish_52

My manager at work has a daughter, and she's 12 and has severe dysfunction of her ears and is nearly deaf. In the next couple of weeks her doctors hope to schedule a surgery to find one of the missing bones in her one ear and correct (hopefully) the damage. This little girl is weighing heavily on my mind and I was wondering if the caring members of Crochetville could help me.

I'm looking for 24-12" squares in shades of blue. Preferably acrylic yarns (her mom has 5 kids total it has to be easy to care for). If you can help me out please post here or PM me, I'll be on my computer a lot this coming week. Also I'd like volunteers to include a little note of where they are from with each square, when presented to her I'd like her to know how far each square traveled to get to her.

Just an FYI - if you're attaching your notes TO your squares, then you may wish to consider washing your square before attaching it. Not knowing if the little girl has any allergies (pets, smoke, etc.), the best thing to do is wash the square, dry it (cool air) in the machine, then place in a zipper bag right away. This is the best way to make sure the square keeps out of contact with possible allergens.

What a great thing you ladies are doing!

I'd like to help as well. I taught deaf and hard of hearing elementary school aged kids (up to about age 12 or so) and so I know a little about what might be going on with her now. I'm also sending some prayers for her and the family.

I was just looking through my stash of 12" squares and thought I needed to find a good home for some of them. There's not enough to make an afghan themselves, but if added to the ones you other ladies send in... :) I've got a couple already made up in "buff" (Red Heart) that might go really nicely with some of the blues? They're just plain grannies, but made with love. I can make up some blues too, not a problem. I've got a lot of scraps of blues that could work really well. Just let me know! :)

Victoria

I'd like to help as well. I taught deaf and hard of hearing elementary school aged kids (up to about age 12 or so) and so I know a little about what might be going on with her now. I'm also sending some prayers for her and the family.

I was just looking through my stash of 12" squares and thought I needed to find a good home for some of them. There's not enough to make an afghan themselves, but if added to the ones you other ladies send in... :) I've got a couple already made up in "buff" (Red Heart) that might go really nicely with some of the blues? They're just plain grannies, but made with love. I can make up some blues too, not a problem. I've got a lot of scraps of blues that could work really well. Just let me know! :)

Victoria

That color sounds lovely and I was thinking creams would mix in well with the blues I'm sure i can make them work :) the more the merrier they say

i'll PM you my address, I really appreciate the thoughts and prayers for her and her family.

Also a quick note, the girl doesn't seem hard of hearing or deaf really she taught herself how to cope at an early age. She's such a sweet girl I think she will love all of the squares no matter what they look like :manyheart

Just an FYI - if you're attaching your notes TO your squares, then you may wish to consider washing your square before attaching it. Not knowing if the little girl has any allergies (pets, smoke, etc.), the best thing to do is wash the square, dry it (cool air) in the machine, then place in a zipper bag right away. This is the best way to make sure the square keeps out of contact with possible allergens.

What a great thing you ladies are doing!

She does have allergies, I didn't even think of that being a factor, I was going to wash the entire afghan anyways and then attach each square with a little note of where it came from and the name of the lady who made it, or perhaps make a little chart...still figuring that one out...at any rate thank you thank you thank you to those who are helping out.

You are so great to offer your time and energy to someone you don't know :) I'm going to try to work a few squares of my own to add but I'm working full time and squeezing the time in is really difficult to me. I thought once I was doing it for awhile crochet would fill in the gaps but all I want to do after work is sleep. I would love to do the whole thing myself but the idea of getting squares from all over is totally cool and I think that she will love it even more :)

thank you all so much

Iwould love to help out!!! I actually have 2 6-inch granny squares staring at me right now...I made them when I was still planning my DS's blankie....but dec'd to go with a giant granny instead (he's only 5 and was very impatient for 'blankie' to be done!). They are light blue/darker blue...I can add a few rounds to them this week-end to get them to 12 inches....

pm'd you for your address!

Ok Ladies! So far I have the following people down, let me know if i missed anyone :)

Betheathorne-couple of squares

Deb-one or two

Peggy-1

Lisa-?

Deedes-1

Daisy-1

Cheryl-one or two

Victoria-up to 4?

Nettie Sue-?

Swerbie-2

Karen-2

I'm surpassing the half way point yay! oh I forgot to add a small request of sending a small length of yarn to sew the squares with, that way I'm not using a weird shade to join them, unless you all can come up with a better solution...hmm let me know thanks

One of the donors has asked if we could include postcards instead of a note, I think this is a cute idea but i'll let it up to you Ladies if you want to do that or not

Alright, due to the overwhelming response of donors I think I have enough squares coming in the next couple weeks! I'm so excited about this :) I love charity and giving to others from the heart and I'm so glad that those who are participating feel the same way! I know I've said this a lot but thank you!

Squish,

My square, I made 2 of them. I know that I promised one, but I got carried away :yes and made 2. Anyhoo, they will be going out in the mail tomorrow morning. I'll send them priority mail, in order to get them to you faster.

Archived