Anyone have a suggestion for me???

Okay...so I am about halfway done with my Mom's beach tote. And now I want one too!!! But I don't have the time to make another with cotton yarn and beads...so I thought I'd use another type of yarn instead. (I crochet really slowly using the sugar and cream!).

What I'm wondering is does anybody have a suggestion on what type of yarn I could use?? I need something to work up pretty quickly...and something that I can crochet fairly tightly ( I really really really hate sewing...I try not to line things if I can get away with it!)

LB Homespun? Plain old RHSS? Bernat chunky??

I'd not use Homespun, it's too loose and falls apart too easilly.

RHSS or Caron Simply Soft are great. they're sturdy and last well. I'd proably use just 'any old' acrylic yan that I liked, since it takes a beating fairly well and is washable. (Homespun isn't machine washable... a key requirement in my spill-prone life...)

Last year I bought some DMC Senso Microfiber crochet thread just to see what it was like. Then last week, I found this free pattern on their site:

http://www.dmc-usa.com/mjRS/1/doc/Crochet_Free_Projects/Instructions_for_Tosca_Hobo_Denim_Bag.pdf

It's working up so fast and so nice. You use double strand, size H hook, and the colors are very bright and they match perfectly.

I'm not making the strap, using some store bought handles instead.

Here's a link to the Senso:

http://www.discountyarnsale.com/pd_dmc_senso.cfm or try JoAnn's site.

I like the wool cotton colors, too. Might make a fall bag later on.

i made a totebag from jute with a 5.5mm hook in granite stitch which is preety indistructable, it took aroun 5hrs altogether, but was hard on my hands! very cheap though, made it with one 240m ball which coat£1.49

I made a few purses this summer and I used 1 strand cotton and 1 strand RHWW and they are holding up incredibly well. My Mom's purse feels like it's filled with bricks and it has not stretched at all.

I used an I hook on one and it came out TIGHT! I used a J hook and the Iris st (2dc, ch2, 2dc) in ch2 sp, and that is holding up really well too.

Te I was really tight and my hands hurt a little. If you use a stitch that doesn't have to many holes you could probably get away with using a K.

Let us know what you decide to do!

Another thing you can do to keep it from stretching is to crochet in a thread of fishing line! I use 20 lb test in my straps (esp for MOM) but it hard to work with. Even a 5 lb test should hold it together well.

Great idea to use some acrylic and cotton together and with fishing line!

I love my cotton bags, but they stretch something fierce!

Thanks for the tip!

I have a pattern somewhere for grocery totes. I think they said to use rug yarn, which is very strong. I'd use 2 strands, the smallest hook that'll hold it and sc. You'll get a tight, solid piece that won't need lining. Working over fishing line or flexable wire is great for the handles.

Ellie 13

Laura: Yup...I do intend to make myself one of the beaded totes! :D They are beautiful!!! I was looking more to make a tote bag for the beach...we're leaving in a week and a half...so I won't have time for a second beaded one right now. I was more looking for something quick and somewhat durable to just carry on this vacation.

Thanks for all the suggestions. After pouring over my stash for 2 days...I dec'd to use some Bernat Denim Style in a cream color...with some stripes of Yarn Bee Mosaic Twist in 'blue lagoon'. The Bernat is a cotton/acrylic blend and the Yarn Bee is acrylic/cotton/wool. We'll see how it turns out...I'll post a pic when I get done with it.

Great idea to use some acrylic and cotton together and with fishing line!

I love my cotton bags, but they stretch something fierce!

Thanks for the tip!

that sounds like a awesome idea , might have to try that thanks for the suggestion:hook :hook

Archived