I Crochet Backwards!

birdlady1

Question

I'm a lefty. That in itself is not a problem:) , but I just found out that I also crochet backwards! Instead of inserting the hook from the front to the back, I do it in reverse. I insert the hook from the back to the front!

After all these years, I only realized it when a fellow lefty (Katchkan) sent me lefthanded instructions for increasing at the end of a row for her Viceroy Butterfly Shawl pattern.

It's too late to change my ways for my current projects but I'll try the "correct" way on anything new. I don't see any difference in the end result, other than my "wrong" side is my "right" side...:lol

Does anyone else crochet backwards? Is this considered the reverse stitch?

20 answers to this question

i am not alone! i only realised this cause i went to a guild meeting where another lefty asked how i was crocheting! I don;t really find it a problem except when on aloop stitch. i took literally the instructions to reverse everything when learning from a book

the only time my way causes me problems is when reading a pattern and it says to do something to the right side or wrong side of the work, I get a little confused with that sometimes, but I just muddle through it, if it doesn't look right to me then I go back and do whatever the instrution was to the opposite side.

The easiest fix for this is to use a bright yarn bow on the right side. If it is not stated somewhere, then the first row is usually the right side.

I use this for lots of patterns where you turn each row so the "right" side is not easily seen (well for those of us who make a right side :wlol )

the only time my way causes me problems is when reading a pattern and it says to do something to the right side or wrong side of the work, I get a little confused with that sometimes, but I just muddle through it, if it doesn't look right to me then I go back and do whatever the instrution was to the opposite side.

ladies its it wonderful how crochet adapts to each person. i am a lefty but crochet right handeded. i had been doing that way for years before i realized. my grandmother taught me and she was right handed. I just wanted to learn so badly i never thought about it.

I crochet backwards. But, I knew I did it. Another lefty here. Funny thing is, for most things I can translate my lefty ways to right handed orientation. I can't do this for crochet.

Two of my children wanted to learn to crochet. I managed to teach my son (and age 4 no less) but he's ambidextrous and just learned to crochet left-handed style. My dd got so fed up, I actually had to buy a BOOK to teach her to crochet. She could read the book, follow the examples and then I could help guide her. But, I have to guide with words ONLY. If I try to demonstrate anything to her, she's lost.

You know, 24 years and I'm still not sure what is right side versus wrong side because they look the same to me! I also had never figured out how to do a reverse crochet. Now that I know its just going for a decorative twist, I should be able to handle that no problem!

I am a lefty also and I think I confuse people when I crochet in public, I have had lots of people ask if I was left handed or i I just crochet that way, but I have noticed that sometimes my projects slant a different direction than the pattern picture. I never really paid attention to it much. I just thought it was because I am self taught and a lefty as well. :lol Too late to change now, I don't think I would be comfortable doing it any other way.

I have a question just for curiosity's sake.

I crochet the "expected" front to back way so I am claiming my bias up front.

When I crochet, the yarn is carried at the back of the project so when I insert the hook to the back the yarn is right there for me to grab. I have tried doing this your way (Including left-handed) and the yarn has to be pulled to the front before I can catch it and the stuff is in the way of doing the stitch. Like I said, just curious :think

When doing a DC, for example, I wrap the yarn around the hook in a clockwise fashion in the back of the fabric, then put the hook from back to front and grap the yarn again in the front. It's then pulled into the back where the stitch is completed.

I guess the "traditional" or "correct" way means the yarn is wrapped counterclockwise, the hook is put through from front to back, and the yarn is grabbed again?

It sounds like left-backwards adds a step to complete a stitch?

But on the front-loop/back loop thing, I would think you would have to reverse that too...?

When you make your crochet fabric front-to-back, crocheting in the back loop (usually in sc) is used to create an elastic, ridged effect, like for cuffs on sweaters. Crocheting in the front loop doesn’t.

I don't do clothing yet, so it hasn't been an issue. But that's an interesting issue. Maybe we should have a lefty backwards CAL so we can compare differences?;)

I have a question just for curiosity's sake.

I crochet the "expected" front to back way so I am claiming my bias up front.

When I crochet, the yarn is carried at the back of the project so when I insert the hook to the back the yarn is right there for me to grab. I have tried doing this your way (Including left-handed) and the yarn has to be pulled to the front before I can catch it and the stuff is in the way of doing the stitch.

Like I said, just curious :think

I am guessing that youse guys would be incredibly fast if you switched to the front to back method if you are quick on the draw now :wlol

Back-to-front folks, if it feels good, do it :)

But on the front-loop/back loop thing, I would think you would have to reverse that too...?

When you make your crochet fabric front-to-back, crocheting in the back loop (usually in sc) is used to create an elastic, ridged effect, like for cuffs on sweaters. Crocheting in the front loop doesn’t.

I am a lefty and I crochet backwards too, the only time I found it to be a problem is when I'm showing someone how to crochet or I try watching someone else. I think my work almost always looks great and have never had any complaints.

That's how I've always crocheted. ...I never knew I was doing it backwards until I watched one of the Nexstitch videos and she went from the front ways. I was like, "what the heck is she doing, is that some new way?". I'm a righty and I insert my hook from the back to the front too birdlady1 lol. To me the only difference is that my wrong and right sides look the same lol.

I guess I'll do a swatch with the stitches the "correct" way and with my backwards method and see what the difference is. Maybe it'll turn out that my backwards stitch looks better (to me!) But since I do crochet from left to right, I guess I am doing the reverse stitch anyway. Wonder what I'll do when instructions call for the reverse stitch ... will I then complete the stitches as a righthanded person?:lol

That's how I've always crocheted. I didn't think it was backwards though lol. See no one I know who crochets live around me so I never knew I was doing it backwards until I watched one of the Nexstitch videos and she went from the front ways. I was like, "what the heck is she doing, is that some new way?". I'm a righty and I insert my hook from the back to the front too birdlady1 lol. To me the only difference is that my wrong and right sides look the same lol.

Very interesting, to each his own. So when they say to crochet in back loops only then I guess you go in the front loops. Mary

No, when it says to crochet in back loops only, that's what I do. Maybe I"m not crocheting at all but doing a brand new type of yarn work!:lol It's not a matter of being "to each his own." That's the way I learned to crochet (most likely from a righthanded person and then I did my own take of what it should be!)

Putting your hook into the stitch from the back doesn't make the reverse stitch, but going in the OPPOSITE DIRECTION does.

As a righty my normal progress across a piece is from right to left. To make a reverse SC, I work from left to right, which makes a decorative 'twist' over the top of the stitch. It's really for an edging only, it doesn't leave a way to stitch into it. I really like the look of it, and use it a lot, although it does take some getting used to.

I work from left to right and back to front. Boy oh boy am I screwed up!:lol

Putting your hook into the stitch from the back doesn't make the reverse stitch, but going in the OPPOSITE DIRECTION does.

As a righty my normal progress across a piece is from right to left. To make a reverse SC, I work from left to right, which makes a decorative 'twist' over the top of the stitch. It's really for an edging only, it doesn't leave a way to stitch into it. I really like the look of it, and use it a lot, although it does take some getting used to.

Archived