Stitch marking

LittleJadeFrog

Question

OK I know that everyone probably marks their stiches different ways and with different things. So I am just going to throw this question out there...it might just help some of the newbies (and maybe just me).

I use a contrasting pc of yarn. Problem is that after using it a couple of rounds it starts to fray and leave pcs behind. I actually hold it down and crochet over it so it is between the last stitch of the previous round and the first stitch of the new round. I know that some wrap it around the stitch.

How do you do it? Do you mark the last stitch of the previous round or the first stitch of the new round? What do you use to mark your stitches?

Here's the main reason why I'm asking. For Christmas I want to make my mother a magic ball. I am gathering things to put into it. I was on a site the other day that sold custom made stitch markers. I didn't know they existed!!! :D My mom uses a safety pin so I thought I could make her a couple of them myself (which by the way was SO simple!). And because my yarn frays and sometimes I pull it out while crocheting I wanted to try something else. I just hate using a safety pin. Then I tried to use one of the stitch markers to see if I liked it. Well I liked it...just clip it on and go. Plus I can clip it on the loop of the last stitch when I set it down and not worry that while I'm at work my precious furbaby will unravel it. SO MANY USES!!!:clap That got me thinking. What is popular stitch markers? And how do people mark their stitches?

Such a long explaination for such a simple question....:D

16 answers to this question

....safety pins but only the ones without coils and I use them to mark my project with hook size. I buy alphabet beads and put the size of the hook (G,H,P etc)on the safely pin....

oooooo what a great tip! I've tried writing down the hook size on scraps of paper, but then I always loose the paper! :lol

I only use thread to mark the "right" sides in projects because I know I won't have to take it out and put it back in and worry about fraying. Otherwise, I use stitch markers that I've bought at Walmart. One set snaps close and the other is like a round coated paperclip that opens and closes, but doesn't have any sharp edges. I like them for whenever I need stitch markers. Although I do hate working in spirals, so most of the time I would rather sl st to join and ch1 then start the next round even if the pattern calls for working in constant spirals :blush

A little late in replying here but I have only just started using one. I use a plastic coated paper clip and just open up the outside stem a little so it just hooks over the stitch. Easy to put on and remove and costs next to nothing. I started off using a thread but found it a pain to take in and out all the time esp when doing the small Amigurumi in rounds.

They come in assorted colours if you needed different markings.

I keep all my hooks, darning needles and paper clips together in a zip lock bag so I don't lose them.

Bobby pins!

I do use the ones by Lyon brand, but when I need a LOT, I use bobby pins.

I've made some with alphabet beads that I use on some projects to mark rows.

I also use the idea I read here about using an alphabet bead on a stitch marker to label a project with the size of hook I'm using on it.

Ruth

I use earrings, the ones with the lever backs. Easy to find cheap ones in nice tacky colors that show up, easy to add, easy to remove, and stay clipped. :)

When I did my frist triangular shawl I would have not got through without them to mark each side of a row because I would have kept going right across and down not knowing where to stop. The ladies from my chruch group had never seen them before and they all went out and bought them and now are addicted to using them. Mary

I am going to use the "mark each 50 stitches" idea, I can't tell you how many times I've had to start over or recount because DH interrupted me ;-)

You have that prob too??? :D He will start talking and talking....and talking...Finally he will say "Are you listening?" And I keep on going...Eventually he gives up until I start talking again! You gotta LOVE them!!! :manyheart

I use the stitch markers they are easy to make, you can get the supplies in the jewelery making dept. I also use safety pins but only the ones without coils and I use them to mark my project with hook size. I buy alphabet beads and put the size of the hook (G,H,P etc)on the safely pin.... makes it so I remember which item is using which size hook

That is a great tip about the alphabet beads. I would have never thought of that. And I am notorious for forgetting which size hook I'm using on which project. I think I will make a trip to Michael's or Hobby Lobby tomorrow after work to pick some up. I have all the supplies to make stitch markers (I also make jewelry). Then I can make some up in my spare time (what am I thinking, I have no spare time) :lol:lol

I found safety pins to be a bit snaggy. I use bobby pins, and mark the first stitch of the round.

I am going to use the "mark each 50 stitches" idea, I can't tell you how many times I've had to start over or recount because DH interrupted me ;-)

I use the stitch markers they are easy to make, you can get the supplies in the jewelery making dept. I also use safety pins but only the ones without coils and I use them to mark my project with hook size. I buy alphabet beads and put the size of the hook (G,H,P etc)on the safely pin.... makes it so I remember which item is using which size hook

I use a safety pin on the first stitch of the new row and I've found it works great! I just went out and bought a whole other box of them cause I am not very put together and constantly lose them. If you want to get cute with them, Walmart sells a box of pastel colored safety pins to jazz it up a bit:cheer

How do you do it? Do you mark the last stitch of the previous round or the first stitch of the new round? What do you use to mark your stitches?

my precious furbaby will unravel it. SO MANY USES!!!:clap That got me thinking. What is popular stitch markers? And how do people mark their stitches?

Such a long explaination for such a simple question....:D

I am still a fan of the strand of yarn but I use a long strand and weave it in and out of the rows (read that as lay it over the work and then crochet over it) as I go.. The ends never get frayed that way.

I have tried other markers but I don't like them That said, I do use safety pins to mark my starting chains when they go over ch 50.

Archived