I made a grey chenille Boteh scarf from Interweave Crochet's Spring 2007 issue and loved it. I started the same scarf in thread and it has been whipping me like cream. I have frogged some sections of this thread so. many. times.

Here's the latest mishap.

http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z200/sonnets_and_stitches/Crochet/?action=view&current=Botehscarf1.jpg

And a close-up.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z200/sonnets_and_stitches/Crochet/Botehscarf2.jpg

Ah me!

Frogging away ~ Joy :frog

It's an apology gift, so I need it to look good! :blush It's my first thread project. I didn't think it was very ambitious, but it really is so much harder for me than yarn. My hands wear out much more quickly, and it's harder to hide mistakes.

Okay - I accidentally flipped the direction of one of the motifs, and then all the motifs afterwards go the wrong way. I can't straighten out the scarf - it's laying flat in the photo.

Oh dear. Look on the bright side, frogging's no fun but at least you only need to go back 2 sections, not to the beginning! It is a beautiful pattern, don't let this get you down on thread work. Take a deep breath, slow down a little (crochet is supposed to REDUCE stress, right?), and stop to admire your work more often (helps to spot boo-boos quicker). :)

Granny Square--great advice,, :) I catch lots by doing just that

Nichole--:cheer :cheer

:think Wonder what sonnets_and_stitches will decide to do??

Boy did you pick a tough place to start for your first thread project!!! :) It looks good, though.

Don't forget that when the user wears it around their neck, the directions of the motifs won't be visible anyway, the way most scarves bunch up. Perhaps you could see it as a happy accident!

BTW, the "whipping me like cream" comment made me laugh out loud! It's happened to me many times, I just didn't know what to call it!

Thanks, everyone. The extra support and comments really does help.

I thought about continuing it "as is" and letting the new bend in the scarf be the middle, but it's about four or five motifs too short to pull that off. It would look like I made a toy scarf instead of a professional dress one. If it was just for me, I'd laugh it off and wear it anyhow, but because it's a gift for a heroine of mine, I want it just right.

It really is a fun pattern, well-written, fairly simple, and beautiful. It's a good pattern for a beginning crocheter who feels like a short-order challenge.

~ Joy

• 3 months later...

Oh-oh, that's what happens when you don't read all the posts. I understand that the scarf will turn out too short if you continue. I've had the same problem myself many times and the only cure is to go back and re-do it. I'd love to see it when you finish. The pattern is beautiful in thread.

Archived