Soldier

pretty_bug01

Question

My friend is going away to Iraq in September now, it just got changed. Well, I was planning on making him a blanket to take with him. However, I am now kind of doubting myself. I didn't know about the acrylic thing and guess what it was going to be made out of...grr. Anyways, if it is on his bed, how could it potentially hurt him? I want him to take with him something that is functional and with space limitations, I don't want him to leave it in the States. I just don't want to work on it when I am half done because I don't know if I should even bother at this point. Maybe giving it to someone else instead. Suggestions on the blanket thing would be beneficial...yes/no/maybe. If no, what should I make him instead?

17 answers to this question

oh an amigurumi would be a great idea!! When hubby was deployed, i sent him a little pink bear when our daugher was born. He loved it and took it every where with him. I def had to wash it when he came home becuase it got so dirty from being carried around all the time and the dirt and sand out there. So making it out of something very washable and on acyrlic would be a great idea!!

I know this may sound silly but a scarf would be a good idea too. It gets cold in Iraq, especially when you get used to the daytime heat. My ex was in Special Forces and he had a hard time keeping warm in the evenings.

my son is a new marine and is just now in his SOI in San Diago Ca and he misses home so much H e dont know where he will be stationed at yet they are on a need to know basis. I think I will make him a dauchand we havce one I wish I could make sara a josh for her she sleeps at her door. He called the night and wants me to send him some of his civilian clothes What Im gonna is send him some of those bags where you thae out all of the air they have some that you roll the air out I doubt if he has excess to a vacumn lol or not but if you were going to ship it out to him one of those would be ideal and maybe not be so big . He had a heck of a time getting everything back in his seabag.wish I had throught of that before he left. anyone had any experience with the vaccumn bags?

i recently made a friend at work a little dashhound to send to her husband had she thought it was wonderful. amigurumi come in all sizes and shapes and the colors are great. so many free patterns too.

Just a thought if you can knit

http://wicketstitch.blogspot.com/2007/03/us-eagle-square.html

The eagle washcloth would be a great gift for your young man. It is loving, personal and patriotic. it could be made in any colour you choose that works with his deployment area

he has to have washcloths anyway and they are light to pack. Send him one every month so he need not worry about any one of them if they have to bug out.

Yes, I know it says dishcloth but to my way of thinking Washcloth / Dishcloth is all about the room in which it is used and not the pattern or the label

My hubby just went to iraq and he was very eager for me to finish an afghan i had started for him so that he could take it with him. Which was a total surprise because i expected him to be ashamed of a handmade blanket. So dont be discouraged even the toughest of men need something soft and cuddly when they are in iraq!

just do a search for them and they also have a lot of patterns for them on etsy. kristiemn on here has a web page with them on it for free and she also sells them, peggytoes has some on etsy with great illustrations.

I have even made him a "pocket" for rocks that my boys wanted him to have when they were little. DH has this box he keeps his little things like that in and when he gets home they all go in the box. He can tell you almost for what trip every one of the things that I have sent are from. And you can tell how bad the trip was as to how bad the thing looks. :)

Silly man has even taken pictures iwth his creatures and him "seeing" the places he has gone. Once they stopped in England and he tool a pic of one of the things I sent and it was just the thing sitting on a statue. I had that one framed it was too cute not to.

And as much as he teases me over the !@#$ things he is disappointed when I don't send it with him instead of mailing it to him. It is just a thing he almost expects from me before he goes. I always slip whatever it is into his bag for him to find later. :D And he will tell me I found my thing and it was just when I needed it most Nikki.

Nikki, that is such a great idea. Every time he wraps his fingers around that little animal, he'll smile and feel closer to his loved ones.

I've never made "amigrumi" figures. Is there a link to a website with GOOD pictures and instructions. I need all the help I can get. I would like to give these a try.

ok so this may sound sily BUT here goes. What about a little amigrumi animal? He can carry it in his pocket and know that you are always thinking of him. :) It can go anywhere with him and see the world.

I know sounds kinda dorky but they need to have something to lol at while away. Something that can give a tiny bit of home when they need it most. And a tiny animal would do just that. My DH has been doing this for years (the military thing) and for EVERY trip (mine is ARMY special forces so he is gone A LOT) I send a tiny something from home to remind him what he is doing this for and that there is aways someone at home who loves him and prays for him many many times a day. The trip he is on now I did make him peggytoes lil monkey. He said that he has carried that !@#$ monkey everywhere with him this trip and it gives him a reminder of home and that no matter where he is he knows that he is close to my heart and I cloxe to his. :) So that would be my suggestion for you.

They are tiny and can be put in his pocket. Because there are days when they get so lonely and sad that they just need a "hug" from home. And the little things that I send with DH do that for him. Once I had surgery right before he left and I didn't send anything with him he said that was the most lonely trip that he has had in a long time. The little things that I send with him can always fit into his pocket and they come home looking like the need a new home cause they are so worn out BUT I know that they are loved and needed while he is away.

Jennifer,

Your thoughtfulness in wanting your friend to have something "handmade" by you is wonderful. Every soldier/Marine is different and you probably know him well enough to decide if he might enjoy a blanket. First time deployments of troops basically means they simply don't KNOW yet (other than what they have been told) what they will need or want. Were I in "your shoes" I would finish the blanket, hold it until he gets to his base assignment then determine if the blanket will be something useful.

Last winter I participated in a "spoil a platoon" support effort for a Marine Platoon in Iraq. I sent over 25 hand sewn, cotton flannel blankets to the POC and he distributed to his troops. He sent back pictures of those plaid flannel blankets on beds and described how his guys enjoyed having something colorful and handmade to come back to in their barracks tents. Some even took them in their field packs on missions. Those photos sure made my heart smile. Some platoon leaders or commanders don't allow "colorful" cot blankets to be used if they are visible so you need to check on that before sending anything over.

The key here is to make things that are EASY care, lightweight and not too large. If you don't feel that your friend would appreciate the blanket, there are tons of support sites that are begging for blankets/afghans for troops/wounded. I have donated and continue to donate many blankets to a group called Operation First Response that distributes blankets, quilts and afghans to the wounded at Walter Reed and other military hospitals. They are CONSTANTLY in need of these items. The soldiers/Marines are so moved by such a small gift as a hand made blanket (sewn, crocheted or knitted). Check out the web site at operationfirstresponse.org. There is a picture posted of a group of people holding up all the patriotic afgans they crocheted for the wounded. It is pretty terrific.

As a side note, the primary reasons they don't want acrylic yarn clothing items is Acrylic is petroleum based and will melt in a fire or IED blast adhering to the skin and destroying tissue. And, the fibers will conduct static electricity which may detonate explosives being handled by the troops.

I will keep you and your friend in my thoughts.

I am so sorry you're feeling discouraged. You are doing a wonderful thing, don't get down about it.

My brother is in the special forces and wouldn't want an afghan, but like others have said it would be a wonderful welcome home gift.

Is he able to take things like games, cd's, or an mp3 player? Maybe you could make a case for that?

Another idea could be a small photo album that has meaningful pictures of friends, family, or a special event that he could take to remember home.

Best of luck in your search, and once again you're trying to do a very wonderful thing, don't get discouraged!

Blessings!

Sorry about you having to change your idea on what to send. What if you made him some small things like an organizer for his toiletries and shaving gear? I could probably think of more things to send if my brain had enough doses of caffine.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

My son is a Marine and has been to Iraq twice already and is going back again in September.

While they may have restrictions on what they can take, there really aren't that many restrictions on what you can send. I've always limited what I sent him to things he wanted or specifically asked for. Of course, sending some things like small refrigerators just aren't practical or even necessary. (not to mention how expensive it must have been to send that refrigerator! lol) My son was able to bring home all that he wanted to, and what he didn't want he left behind for others to use.

Personally, I would save the afghan for a homecoming gift for him. I think it would be more meaningful then. It could get damaged, stolen, or lost if he has it overseas.

What branch of the service is he in?

I can only speak as the mother of a Marine. My Son has not been deployed yet but we have been going over what he can take when he does go. They have very strick rules for thiis. For him an afghan would be out of the question. He can only take what will fit in his 2 sea bags. While they look quite large he has many things that he must take with him.

All of his bedding and such will be assigned to him when he gets there. Then as to what he can receive will depend on where he is located and what the condition of the camp is like. Remember if they must move camps they have to pack up all their stuff and move it too.

I have heard of people sending very large items (i.e. small refrigerators :think ) but of course if they are moved these things get left behind.

As for the acrylic, I know they want the beanies and helmet caps to be wool and they can only be of certain approved colors (desert camo colors). As for blankets or afghans, right now they are not being attacked in their camps but if they should be I would hate for one of our young soldiers to be injured because of a dangerous fiber.

You might consider completing the blanket, waiting until he is deployed and then see if it is something he can receive. If you can't send it then it wold make a wonderful welcome home present for when he returns.

Archived