How do you make your patterns

pretty_bug01

Question

14 answers to this question

I have a notebook and pen on my right, yarn on my left, and at times, I'm crocheting while the pen is still in my hand!

I do a row/round (maybe 2 or 3, or more but only if the rows/rounds are repeats) then write it down.

Sally

I have a notebook and pen on my right, yarn on my left, and at times, I'm crocheting while the pen is still in my hand!

I do a row/round (maybe 2 or 3, or more but only if the rows/rounds are repeats) then write it down.

Sally

Yep, that's exactly what I do. :hook

Sally

I also do this method.

It is WAY to easy for me to forget what I just crocheted!!

I do this too, except that my paper and pen/pencil is on my left, since I'm left-handed. :P Yes, there tend to be lots of scribbles, but hey! When I type it up, it's nice and neat! ;)

I do this too, except that my paper and pen/pencil is on my left, since I'm left-handed. :P Yes, there tend to be lots of scribbles, but hey! When I type it up, it's nice and neat! ;)

:manyheart I'm left-handed too and I have my little steno pad and favorite pen always with me, I actually keep everything I'm working on at the moment in a yarntainer, including the pen and pad of paper, that way I have it handy to take with me any time I leave the house. I usually write out the next row/round before I actually crochet it though, I like mentally trying it out a couple of times before manually doing it.

Sally

This is how I've done it. If I don't write it soon enough, I forget:blush .

I have only written a few patterns. I do like most of you. But I usually make one first, to see if it works like I think it will. Then the second one I will make some changes and write as I go. I can't remember far enough to go more than one row, unless they are repeats. Sometimes I will try out the pattern I wrote to see if I wrote it write, and see if there should be any changes.

I write out each row as I do it. I then type up a first draft, and edit. There is a lot of frogging involved and I often end up with a number of versions of things until I get it just right.

I should be editing a few things tonight, but I am distracted on the forum!

I use a chunky spiral notebook and a mechanical pencil, and actually I write down what I'm going to do before I crochet, and if it doesn't work out I change it.

that's how I do it most of the time. Makes it easier to do all of the math stuff. And, if I don't finish the project (a recent major problem with me) I know what I was thinking when I started and it's easier to pick up later. If I've re-frogged a row three times and am still trying to find a stitch pattern I like, I won't write it until I figure out what I'm going to do, then I start writting ahead. Every great once in a while I'll write it after I do it.

I make one "whatever it is", so I can concentrate on design/color/overall look, etc. Then I recreate it a second time, making notes as I go. The first I use for submissions photos, etc, the second I leave in component parts/partially assembled incase stepouts are needed or in process photos.

I also tend to use component parts--right now I am working on a leaflet of ami animals, and some of my own individial patterns for the same, and on my computer I save things like :airstream toaster head shape (which is what the shape of some of the heads I made remind me of--I cut and paste if I have used this exact head, then proceed with mods or details, it saves time:)

Archived