What are those "thread/yarn" snippets called?

papersmiles

Question

I met a lady recently at a craft show that put all her tag ends and snippets of yarn and thread into a ziplock until she had enough to use for stuffing sachets or small crochet animals. Kind of a clever recycle use of otherwise nonusable pieces. ANYWAY, she gave those snippets a name but I can't remember what she called them. Does any know what that may be????

Sheesh, I think my brain cells need a boost!!!!!!:think

15 answers to this question

If it's curly from being frogged, I call it "yarn ramen." I don't remember the first place I heard that, but I've loved it.

I think just "snips" would give the idea across. I also keep all the little bits like that in a ziploc.

~ Joy

I keep a ziploc handy when I crochet, and just plop them in as I snip. If it ends up on the floor, it gets vacuumed. It's not worth bending over for! ;)

I've heard that the ends and snips work best as stuffing if they're stuffed into old pantyhose first - this prevents the ends from worming their way out of the project.

~ Joy

I've heard that the ends and snips work best as stuffing if they're stuffed into old pantyhose first

Pantyhose? What are those? :think

OH, NOW I REMEMBER!!! They are the torture devices designed by men and endured by women in "developed" countries so that our legs can look more natural when going au naturel! I pity the women that still have to wear those un-**** things. Fortunately, the bare look works for me (my bosses are all under the age of 10). :rofl

OH, NOW I REMEMBER!!! They are the torture devices designed by men and endured by women in "developed" countries so that our legs can look more natural when going au naturel! I pity the women that still have to wear those un-**** things. Fortunately, the bare look works for me (my bosses are all under the age of 10). :rofl

well you get to pity me then :( I have to wear them for work and sometimes I think my bosses are under 10... shh... Of course I don't think my legs would look half as good without panyhose... well sometimes...

If you're ends are long enough to tie together and make something, you can make a Magic Ball and crochet something.

Just found a pattern that calls for them. Little Football, you don't need to use it for this, but I guess it ads weight to it so it's easier to toss or feel more like a football...

Some people collect the small scraps and then use them to make abstract pictures for framing. I can't think of a website with examples right now :think (senior moment) but I'm sure it's out there.

I don't know what they're called but it's a great idea

With my legs, pantyhose are a good coverup! :devil

I have been a cross stitcher for many years and we call our floss scraps orts. There was a free cross stitch pattern from raise the roof designs called cream of ort soup that resembles the cambles lable and says cream of ort soup. You stitch it then put it around a soup can and collect all your ort's in it. Have it on my to do pile for some day. Some people save their orts and put them in the plastic clear ornamets you get in different shapes.

May be we should think of something neat to call yarn scraps but we would need a big garbage can to collect them in. Mary!

You know how when you can't think of a particular word it just drives you crazy??? Well, finally I decided to ask Mary Pulver. She writes the Monica Ferris "stitching mysteries" and I just love her work. I was pretty sure I had seen the word I was looking for in one of her novels but couldn't remember which book. So I e-mailed her and this is her reply:

"The word you are looking for is "orts." It originally meant a tiny bit of food, but stitchers (I bet they were crossword fanatics) extended the meaning to include the little ends of floss that decorate our laps and carpets"

What a lovely person she is...... AND, she is writes terrific mystery novels centered around many of the yarn/thread crafts we all love. Her next novel is called "Knitting Bones" and will probably be released late this year. She also is a HAT person and wears fantastic "Chapeaus".

Anyway, ORTS was the word I was looking for. Thanks everyone for your help.

Have a great day!!!!!

How funny

Ort \¨òrt\: noun; a snippet or leftover bit of thread, usually resulting from a voracious addiction to handcrafted needlework

naughty.gif

Mary Pulver. She writes the Monica Ferris "stitching mysteries" and I just love her work.

Thanks for the book info papersmiles! Will have to check them out.:yes

I also have been collecting "orts":lol It's fun to run your hand through them and remember the things you made!

Well, I knew that we cross stitchers called our bits orts for years but wasn't sure if the same applied to yarn. Hmm, now I will have to make another cream of ort soup pattern for my crochet orts to go along with my cross stitch orts, the projects never end.

The cream of ort soup pattern can be shared so if anyone that does cross stitch would like it drop me an e-mail. It fits perfectly on a soup can if you do it on 14ct. I think it is. Mary

Beaumariage@aol.com

Archived