Magic Ball Knots?

sonnets_and_stitches

Question

24 answers to this question

I just reread this on the ends. I left short ends on mine (not thinking) and I just made a bag. With tons of scrap yarn. It had tons of ends on the inside. The outside looks great. Then I wasn't sure on weaving in the ends... or how with the short ends. I thought maybe leaving it.

I'm going to wash it (definately) and see what happens to the ends. I will need to weave in the ends on the strap as I continued to use my magic ball. I'll post a pic soon, preferrably after i wash it. I figure if the ends come out at anytime, I can just use any yarn to fix it:yes

Debbi

I was weaving in the ends of my afghan and found that I actually didn't mind doing it (usually I hate it:angry ) but having enough on the very end to add to my Magic Ball made it all worth while. Now I want to weave in more ends on my scrap granny to add to it:lol

Debbi

I had never heard of a magic ball before. I bet I have enough scraps to make a few of them. Thanks for sharing.

Kimela

This past week I tried to crochet a baby cardigan with the leftovers that are about 2-10 feet long but I was having a problem that not all the yarns were the same thickness so I took it all out. How do you handle that aspect of the yarns being different thicknesses?

Kristy

Kristy, there's a couple of different things you can do.

First, you could have different magic balls for different yarn types. Some people separate their orts by fiber type, or by color (greens, reds, blues, pastels . . .). You could have different balls going for different thicknesses. It would take longer to make a ball big enough to make something, but the yarn would be more consistant. I've noticed people are happier with their finished magic ball projects when they take the time in the beginning to make the ball with yarn that has some unifying factor, like all the orts are some kind of off-white, or all the orts are wool . . . This is probably the best way to avoid the problem you're talking about.

If you have a magic ball already made up, full of different thickness, then you might experiment with switching between larger and smaller hooks to compensate for the differences as they come up. I haven't had the opportunity to try this yet, but I've heard that this helps.

If that still doesn't help, then you could either ignore the differences in thicknesses and make a project where it doesn't much matter (like a doormat or a pet blanket), or you can cut up the yarn and use it for stuffing amigurumi!

If you end up sacrificing the magic ball, you could also strew the orts outside for the birds who are redecorating their nests, or give them to your local neighborhood hamster for his nesting pleasure.

Hope some of that helps.

~ Joy

A magic ball is such a great idea. I use my yarn usually to make something for my daughter, then the rest of the skein for charity items, then I still sometimes have a little left over and I try to combine it with other colors that go well for small baby items for charity. This past week I tried to crochet a baby cardigan with the leftovers that are about 2-10 feet long but I was having a problem that not all the yarns were the same thickness so I took it all out. How do you handle that aspect of the yarns being different thicknesses?

When I finish projects I use all the scraps that are about 3-5 inches long and tie them into stitch markers for my knitting. I have a little plastic container for them. Pieces that are a bit longer I use as stitch holders or waste yarn for provisional cast ons.

Thanks for all the ideas!

Kristy

I've been working on one of these balls but I'm joining the yarns with a Russian join(?) I think that's what it's called so there won't be any ends. I want to use some for cat toys but then I probably should have left ends to make it more fun for the cat. Maybe I'll start another ball for that :)

I like the bag. I saw a pattern for a hat made with a wonder (what color comes next?) ball. They put the knots, with 2-3 inch ends, on the outside so it looked "hairy" (like inside the bag). Could be used for a weird Halloween wig.

Ellie 13

Hi Debbi, I just left the ends on the inside of my bag and didn't weave them in. It they bother you, the bag could be lined with fabric. Just be sure the ends are tied securely. Can you post a picture of your new bag? We'd love to see it!

I just reread this on the ends. I left short ends on mine (not thinking) and I just made a bag. With tons of scrap yarn. It had tons of ends on the inside. The outside looks great. Then I wasn't sure on weaving in the ends... or how with the short ends. I thought maybe leaving it.

I'm going to wash it (definately) and see what happens to the ends. I will need to weave in the ends on the strap as I continued to use my magic ball. I'll post a pic soon, preferrably after i wash it. I figure if the ends come out at anytime, I can just use any yarn to fix it:yes

Debbi

What a nice idea (both of them) - it seems the perfect way to teach a schoolchild how to crochet - with little treats falling out to keep him/her crocheting... I will definitly do this for my oldest daughter (she is a knitter, but also a crocheter. she only crochets amigurumis and knits all other things)

I did a panel for a blanket a similar way the other magic ball is done (sorry to say that I knit this too) - I only knit one row with a yarn, let a long tail hang out and went back with another yarn (and a long tail) - at the end I tied always 5 of the long tails together to get frays (?) and to secure it. Sure it can be done also in crochet. what you get is a very nice thing with visible ends and - best of all - no weaving in loose ends (have I already told you that I hate this most of all things crafty?)

It is a ball of yarn made out of tying all your scrap ends together.

You're leaving out the best part. You wind treasures inside the ball as you go, leaving some poking out a little. See here:

http://whipup.net/2006/04/25/kids-yarn-project-the-magic-wool-ball/

Honestly I don't think you have to tie knots or even use scraps. Get a new skein or two of yarn and wind those around the treasures.

More swap photos here:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=134703.160

:)

Yes. It gives a fancy name to something I did 27 years ago. My toddler daughter had a cherry wood cradle for her "babies" and I knit her a blankie for the cradle. I left the knots showing and trimmed them to about 1/4" long. It made for a rustic looking blanket, which was just the look I was going for. Of course, I just used oddball scraps. I didn't coordinate the colors. Those examples you linked to are very nice.

It is a ball of yarn made out of tying all your scrap ends together. :yarn Here are a couple examples of what people have made using magic balls of yarn:

Fiddleyarns' Bag and Debi Y's purses. I am making a ball of green, too. Here's a picture of it on my blog. :hook Does that help at all? :manyheart

What, pray tell, is a magic ball?

Is there any special way to knot the yarns together in a magic ball? Just normal knots? Should I leave the tails long enough to weave back into the crochet?

Thanks! ~ Joy

I usually push all the knots to the back or inside of the piece. I've used square knots, but also just an overhand knot with tails 3 or 4 inches long for a "design element. This becomes the right side. You can add a bead to the knot area. Looks kind of cool.

Note for knitters: if you use a magic ball for stockinette stitch, the knots will all be on the wrong side.

I've seen shaggy work done with a magic ball with all the knots left in the front side of the work, for that you'd need to be sure to have tight square knots I think; if you aren't going to work them over to secure them. Usually, I tie loose knots in my work, then work the ends in under the rows of work after taking knots the out.

Archived