Looking For A Challenging Doily Project

There's always the award-winning vintage "Windsong" pattern. (I think that's the name.) I have the pattern around somewhere, and I'm thinking of getting it out and working it in color.

Patricia Kristofferson Doilies maybe? Her Doilies with a Twist are tricky (I haven't to tried them yet.) You could also try Cro-Tat, a crochet and tatting combination. That's a challenge. I've explored it a bit but haven't taken the time to really devote much to it yet.

The two most challenging doilies I've ever made are Patricia Kristofferson's Momentous Occasion from Ultimate Doilies and Yoko Suzuki's Fortune Teller.

Momentous Occasion is challenging because of certain stitches that require you to pull the stitch through in a very tricky and weird way. It's hard to explain unless you are working the stitch, but trust me, it was a feat of crochet skill to work it.

Fortune Teller is challenging because of the way the doily is assembled as it is worked, and the loops interlock to create the final effect. It was one of the greatest challenges I've faced in patience and skill.

I'm curious to know what you eventually find to challenge yourself with. I love it when people seek a challenge in thread crochet!

~ Lori

I looked around for the Wind Song pattern and didn't find it. It is by Elizabeth Hiddleson, and although that one doesn't seem to be available, I think many of her patterns would qualify as large and challenging...

You can bunches for sale here:

http://www.countryyarns.com/eh001.htm

Lori...Your work is exquisite! I love the way you have the page set up to be able to view the various doilies. I like seeing the varigated doilies. I have read that a lot of people don't like using varigated for doilies, but I love the way the colors play out. I have only done a few doilies myself, but I have big plans (and lots of thread) to do many more. Thank you for sharing!

The two most challenging doilies I've ever made are Patricia Kristofferson's Momentous Occasion from Ultimate Doilies and Yoko Suzuki's Fortune Teller.

Momentous Occasion is challenging because of certain stitches that require you to pull the stitch through in a very tricky and weird way. It's hard to explain unless you are working the stitch, but trust me, it was a feat of crochet skill to work it.

Fortune Teller is challenging because of the way the doily is assembled as it is worked, and the loops interlock to create the final effect. It was one of the greatest challenges I've faced in patience and skill.

I'm curious to know what you eventually find to challenge yourself with. I love it when people seek a challenge in thread crochet!

~ Lori

:cheer your work is beautiful....but I must say I truely enjoyed your pet blog pages & :rofl so loud in fact some of my co-workers came in my office to see what was so funny..... we love Mr. Doo's page. Thanks for making me & my co-workers :lol today.

OK, I am going to do the Between Meal Centerpeice...Has anyone ever thought of putting 2 threads together, and use a slightly larger needle like a 4 or a 2? I was thinking about doing that to make this centerpeice a little larger...not a good idea??? you tell me...

Hi,

This one was the most challenging one for me because I made it byu looking to pic. without pattern. I later learned that pattern was available but I could never locate it.

Here it is, it is more like table center

I made it with size 30 ecru thread and it is around 40 inches

http://usera.imagecave.com/demeteileen/IMG_8591-copy.jpg

Demet

I made a large doily once with 2 threads and a size 2 hook...I wasn't happy with the results...it was challenging to keep the tension consistent and with the larger hook the stitches looked sloppy...maybe it was just me...you could try it and see what you think and don't forget to post pics!:D:hook

This is a most interesting thread. I am so impressed with Lori's doilies. They certainly look challenging patterns, and have turned out so beautifully. As for Demet, how you made that without a pattern I can't imagine! It is fabulous.

However, I would not recommend the between-meals centrepiece to anyone looking for a challenge. I have made it myself, that is, I have made all but the last 3 rows, which I need to finish, and it is a completely unchallenging project. It doesn't get very boring, because the pattern changes every few rows, but as far as dificulty level goes, it is ideal for crocheting while watching tv. If "large" is your criterion, then, yes, because, at 60 rounds, it is certainly larger than the average doily.

Jared, might I suggest learning Irish crochet? The motifs are done in small thread and I think the techniques may be a bit out of the ordinary for today. You can find books on Iva Rose to teach you. After having asked about it myself, most of the Irish crocheters around here suggest the Priscilla series. For a perfectly stunning example of Irish crochet see this lovely, antique coat. Many gorgeous doilys were made with these techniques.

Jared i have made the between meals centerpiece last year. it is really not that challenging, just big. i used a size 20 thread and it still was almost 24 inches wide. It uses basic stitches, nothing exciting. It is a good project though, and will get rave reviews.

IMO, for a challenge on most any project, try a smaller thread and hook. The larger the thread, the easier it is to use. I've made doilies from size 30 thread that look almost like paper they are so thin and intricate. I agree with Lori for a pattern challege with intricate stitching patterns try Patricia Kristoffersen patterns. They are not freebies, though. good luck with your project.

OK, I am going to do the Between Meal Centerpeice...Has anyone ever thought of putting 2 threads together, and use a slightly larger needle like a 4 or a 2? I was thinking about doing that to make this centerpeice a little larger...not a good idea??? you tell me...

Sounds interesting.....

Archived