Has anyone taught their DH or BF (or equivalent) to crochet?

For some reason I have this urge to teach my DH to crochet, or at least enough so that he knows what I'm doing and can understand what I'm talking about! So I was wondering if anyone else has taught their spouse or partner to crochet and what the results were. I figure there should be some funny stories about that!

I taught my ex. He did okay with the chain stitch. He gave up shortly after learning to turn. I was going to sit down with him again but he lost his yarn... Men!

He wants me to teach him again, though. I probably will sometime this summer.

My DH actually expressed some interest in learning. I think it was just a passing thought though. Or maybe he became discouraged when I had trouble thinking of some manly project for him to attempt. I did teach him to sew. He got bored after hemming a table cloth and hasn't done anything since.

When I was making my mother in law a ripple afghan I saw DH staring at me every time I was crocheting. I one day looked over and said," Why are you staring do you want to try it or something" And he shy shaked his head up and down. Now the whole afghan was dc and he couldn't not get it for the life of him. He got so upset and frustrated!! Now when I see him staring and ask if he wants to try again he says, "heck NO THAT S*** IS HARD".ha maybe one day i'll teach him slowly.

I threatened to teach my husband.

I was knitting on a sweater, and it had a k2-p2 ribbing that you had to pick up all along one side, across the backof the neck, and down the other side. There were probably almost 300 stitches on size 4 needles; I only had to do about 6 or 8 rows, but it was mind numbing.

Just to be goofy, I asked my husband, "Hey! You want to finish my sweater for me? I can't stand to look at it anymore."

He looked at me a second and said he guessed it might be cool to learn a few stitches. While I was showing him how to hold the needles, our daughter came into the room and my husband got all blushy and weird: "I was just kidding! I didn't really want to learn!" :P

Both he and my daughter really like to use my Embellish-knit to make insanely long I-cords for our cats to play with though.

Oh, I can just see me trying to teach my husband crocheting!!!! :rofl Or anything else!!! For a very intelligent man, somedays I wonder how he manages to make it through the day ~ ~ does your DH ask you the most inane questions??? Like, if he just thought about it for a second, it would be obvious!!! :think I know I'm venting, but I was late for work this morning because he was trying to use the new version of MS Word for desk top publishing and wanted my help - and I hate Word - and I've never used this version! OMG!!!! :faint I love the man with all my heart :manyheart but somedays.........

I taught my DH to crochet when my right handed daughter wanted to learn to crochet. I didn't think she could handle the fustration of learning from a leftie. So Dh said he wouldn't mind learning to crochet and to show her the stitches. So I taught him the basics. He even made a granny square pillow ( which my daughter cherishes ) So he showed her the stitches while I explained what to do. It worked beautifully. She learned to crochet easily with no fustration and Dh learned enough to appreciate what I am doing. It is not something that he ever persued, But he can with a little prompting pick it up enough to show someone the basic stitches if needed. He also learned to tat when I taught myself. We both had a kick learning that. I guess that is one of the reason I have kept him around so long. He is very opened minded and willing to learn.

I always thought my hubby should know how to crochet or sew so that he could help me finish my christmas gifts!! ;) But he is absolutely against learning--haha:lol ...............Lise

I have made several baby afghans to give to friends/family, and it has become a tradition that dh does one stitch in the middle of the afghan so he can say he helped. That one stitch takes an awfully long time to accomplish, but he likes to know that he contributed!

I haven't taught DH to crochet but I always get him to hold the wool for me when I do crochet. He likes to fiddle and wool is good to fiddle with. He figured out on his own how to chain stitch but I think that's as far as it will go.

Nope! our country's culture has it that, crocheting and knitting thing is only for women. you know, the macho image! So, I think hubby wouldn't love the idea. he just loves my work and often ask me if I can spare him one or two of my stash of finished projects to give to a co-worker celebrating a birthday.

:rofl :rofl :roflI live in a totally male household! The only other female here with me is the cat.....my darling daughter who can crochet has been away at college now for 3 years.....all the guys in my life just shake their heads :think:shrug:no mystified over Mom's crochet obsession!:hook

My DH actually came to me one night wanting to learn to crochet! I figured he had been kidnapped by aliens and some strange creature had taken his place in my house... but I went with the situation, gave him a hook, and taught him how to do a chain. He decided about 3 minutes later that he was going to create a "whole new stitch" and become famous among crocheting people... another 3 minutes later he decided that was a pipe dream and gave up the whole craft forever... but it was good for entertainment. :lol :lol :lol

Mine already knew how to do it from his mom (she was a single mom) when I got w/ him he even had his own sewing machine. (heck he even cooks better then me) :lol Now he does other crafts when I am crocheting usually woodcarving. But he will at times when I am crocheting roll my yarn into balls for me & he does that better then me too.....:lol

My DH loves to watch me crochet - he says it's fascinating to watch yarn turn into something else in my hands. :manyheart He's never expressed interest in learning how, though. He has helped me pick out yarn colors before - he likes to paint D&D minis so he has a good eye for color.

Connie

I would love to teach my boyfriend how to crochet, but I highly doubt he'll ever ask me. He likes to watch sometimes but then he gets confused as to what in the heck is going on! He's looking forward to me making him a blanket and hats!

Archived