Ideas Needed

I just started a crochet group here in my city. Our first meeting is today. We will be meeting at our local library. We will just be getting to know each other. I want to do more than just meet once a month, but I have no ideas on what to do. So I am looking for some ideas. This time I thought we could share some of our FOs. And talk about our experiences with crocheting.

What do you think would be a good idea for some other meetings? Some thing that doesn't cost any money! I know I don't have a lot of extra money, and I don't think the other members do either. Right now we are only a group of four people, but I am hoping that will change.

Check your local papers to see what they have to offer for free. Vegas has a special insert on Fridays with free and pay things. It lists nearly everything.

Be sure to check on line for your paper, your city website, ect.

Also see if you have an "underground" type paper. Not sure if that's the word I'm looking for but it's not a regular newspaper. It'll list local clubs, bookstores, arts and crafts fairs, etc. It'll usually list book signings, musical guests at book/coffee stores, and things like that. Lots of free things in there.

Look for craft fairs to go to together.

Maybe you have a summer jazz or movie, or something series/festivals. Some are free or very cheap.

How about a berry (or whatever) picking farm?

Get togethers at each other's houses for tv show or movie watching.

Picnics somewhere. Each bring your own or do pot luck style. Sign up sheets very helpful for pot luck so not everyone brings salads.

If you can, maybe plan a 4th of July fireworks watching together.

The list is endless once you start thinking about it and looking.

You can take your crochet to most everything.

As for meeting have:

Color day; everyone works on the same color.

Same project day; everyone works on afghans or same pattern.

Baby day.

Charity day.

Round robin day; everyone works on the same/one project.

Squares/warm up America day.

Holiday day; either presents for holidays or themed holiday things.

Theme day; such as kitchen day or apple day.

Same yarn day; everyone do their Simply Soft project.

Sort yarn day; bring in and wind those extra skeins of yarn.

Exchange day; trade skeins you know you won't use.

Hooks and things day; trade, share, or story tell about your hooks and gadgets.

Bag day; exchange names and make tote bags for each other.

TV/Movie inspired day; make something inspired by your favorites.

Book day; bring old novels to exchange or discuss while you crochet.

Hope that helps some. :)

Are you into recycled plastic bags? The materials are free and it's a wonderful recycling project. The stitches are very basic and I have many free patterns available at my website. Lots of people are making Eco grocery bags and totes these days so I'm sure your group might be interested too. PM me if I can help in any way.

How about everyone bring in small amounts of leftover yarn and put it in a basket, then everyone can make squares and put them together to make lap robes to donate to your local nurseing home. The elderly really do need them they keep those places cold.......good luck with your group.

How about having a different person offer to teach a specific technique or stitch or project at each meeting. They could e-mail folks ahead of time telling them what type of yarn/hook to bring in order to participate. The opportunity to learn a new technique/stitch would really motivate me to attend.

Joan

I like the idea of doing projects for charity. Also you might have a day where everyone brings in a project they're having problems with and just help each other out with them.

I am so jealous that you have a group. In my new home town here, I've only found one that knits so far, and I'm one of those crocheters who never learned. In my last city, we had what we called a crafter's circle in which we met every week bringing our projects with us. We offered help and encouragaement to each other and sometimes it was just a time to socialize. But we all found it hard to do our projects without this time slot dedicated to it. And if anyone wanted to learn something specific, we would dedicate one or two of our gatherings to it. For example once we focused on Filet crochet and another time I taught everyone how to do broomstick lace. Now we did welcome all crafts, but found that crochet was by far the most popular. Good luck! Wish I were close enough to join you.

How about everyone bring in small amounts of leftover yarn and put it in a basket, then everyone can make squares and put them together to make lap robes to donate to your local nurseing home. The elderly really do need them they keep those places cold.......good luck with your group.

Maybe you could meet at a local nursing home and share the time with the residents as well as each other.

If you go to a nursing home, you might find other crocheters who would join.

Crochet/knitting groups in my town meet at the senior center once a month. They donate extra yarn to the seniors and make things for charity.

Ellie 13

A nice group project is making chemo caps and taking them to an oncologist's office or other cancer center for distribution. These take very little yarn (some can be made from one skein of fun fur-type yarn from the dollar store). They can be made for children or adults. Guidelines and patterns can be found at several websites. Just search on "chemo caps" on google. Lionbrand has a nice pattern for the fun fur caps, which some patients like because they're fun and funky looking and soft to the skin.

I used to belong to a group that met weekly solely to make blankets for Project Linus. Many of us bought our own yarn, but we also received frequent donations of yarn from shops and estates. It was a very rewarding enterprise, with lots of camaraderie and exhange of crocheting ideas.

My women's group here meets once a year to make comfort pillows for breast cancer patients. A smaller group meets in advance to cut and sew the pillows, leaving a small opening for stuffing. Then the larger organization has a pizza party to stuff and hand-sew the pillows shut. Everybody enjoys both get-togethers. It's also a way of honoring our members who have had breast cancer.

When I had a needlework group, one of our outings was a visit to a local yarn shop. During the December holiday season, we treated ourselves to high tea at a fancy hotel -- this outing not so inexpensive, but lots of fun to get dressed up and feel like ladies.

How about having a different person offer to teach a specific technique or stitch or project at each meeting. They could e-mail folks ahead of time telling them what type of yarn/hook to bring in order to participate. The opportunity to learn a new technique/stitch would really motivate me to attend.

Joan

This is what our group does. We usually plan a few months out in advance. This month I'll be teaching a butterfly stitch based on this square: Butterfly Garden. In the past we've made totes or shawls and recycled thrift shop sweaters into beautiful capelets. Just ask people to volunteer. I've found that there's usually a core group that does most of the teaching but as people become more comfortable and skilled they will often surprise themselves by volunteering.

You might want to consider starting a Yahoo group if most of your group are comfortable with computers. Ours is at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/crochetguildseattle/ if you'd like to see what we do.

Good luck with your new club, it's a lot of fun!

Linda Y

A nice group project is making chemo caps and taking them to an oncologist's office or other cancer center for distribution. These take very little yarn (some can be made from one skein of fun fur-type yarn from the dollar store). They can be made for children or adults. Guidelines and patterns can be found at several websites. Just search on "chemo caps" on google. Lionbrand has a nice pattern for the fun fur caps, which some patients like because they're fun and funky looking and soft to the skin.

I think the chemo caps are a good idea, but I've heard/read several times that the fun fur yarns tend to itch the scalp of chemo patients. The scalp can be a pretty tender part of the body, seeing how little exposure it gets under normal circumstances. Regular soft worsted yarn (like Caron Soft) would probably avoid that problem.

These are all great ideas! This makes me want to start a crochet group!

~ Joy

I am so jealous that you have a group. In my new home town here, I've only found one that knits so far, and I'm one of those crocheters who never learned. . .quote]

We didn't have a crochet group here either. We had one knitting group that only meets once month. But the one time that I tried to make it, there was no one there and the store was closed. So I couldn't help but think that they didn't really meet very often. I have actually heard of them meeting once and there were 7 people that attended. But not many of them even knew how to crochet. The one that did has joined my group. :hook So we should be doing well once we get started.

Thank you for all the ideas! Crocheting for charity is a wonderful idea. No one showed up at my first meeting. I think I am going to post it in the paper so we can get more exposure. I had the account started on meetup.com. But it costs money. And no one really used the sight other than me. So I am closing it down and getting a refund. I have it set up on myspace now. Since it's free. I met all these ladies on meetup.com, so I know that they can use a computer. Just a couple of them seem to not know how to use it very well. They are great at emailing though. So that should help.

I was also thinking about using my grandmother's church. I'm not sure if that's an option yet though.

If I am not mistaken all the members so far are beginners. So no one would really be able to teach anyone else. I'm not all that great myself. But what I put my mind to, I can do. However I didn't become a teacher for a reason. I don't have the patients for it. But I think that we can help each other with any problems we may have.

I think the crocheting for charity is a wonderful idea! And I had thought of that already. Since we are mostly beginners I think we will settle for a chemo cap and or NICU hats and blankets. I will have to check around at the hospitals here to see if they do that type of thing. I know the hospital that I had my baby at didn't have any hand made items.

wow some fantastic suggestions here. I saw the word library and wondered if you could get the librarian to do a special display on library books about yarn, crochet, crafts etc. Then I wondered about your group maybe making some crocheted bookmarks to donate to the library as a thank you for having us sort of thing. Maybe they could sell them to buy some more books?? I was also thinking about children literacy programs and if there is a way you could help. Library bags etc. Sorry I got caught up in the library thing ;o)

Sounds like this could be a whole heap of fun and you get to meet lots of new people who crochet.

<< I was also thinking about using my grandmother's church. I'm not sure if that's an option yet though. >>

When I belonged to a Project Linus group where I used to live, the group coordinator regularly went around to churches and recruited many new members there. Churches are a great source of members. Those who didn't actually attend our meetings had their own needlework groups and regularly made contributions of afghans and quilts. Every so often, a church lady would bring in a stack of handmade kids' quilt donations for a great show 'n tell session. I couldn't believe what crative and beautiful quilts they made for us to give to hosptalized kids.

As to teaching, we regularly had an enthusiastic newbie to knitting, crocheting, or quilting who was being taught by someone more experienced. Only once did someone come just to learn how to crochet, make one afghan, then never show up again.

I did the butterfly garden, lindamry posted the link above, for a swap I was in it was super easy and turned out beautiful.

Good luck with your get together sounds like loads of fun and a lot of great ideas your getting. Makes me want to start one. :D

I love all of the ideas that you have gotten here. I am in a group that meets once a month. We just bring our projects and work on them and talk. There is no prearranged agenda. I wish there was something more I could learn, but they do help you with your project if you need it. Sound like your group will do just great! :hook

sounds great to me texasredhead. your group is just like a support group. everyone needs a pat on the shoulders for a job well done, somebody to give encouragement to boost our hidden talents or an ear to tell our disappointments on something we're working on. nice bonding group you have there!

<< I was also thinking about using my grandmother's church. I'm not sure if that's an option yet though. >>

Yeah. My grandmother's church already has a few people making lapghans for the nursing homes. So I really think that may be a good idea.

another free resource for posting about your group is craigslist.org

It won't likely work for really small towns but for anything medium sized and bigger it's usually very busy.

Archived