What the best Magazines

beachlady

Opinions Please. I have purchased or subscribed to many crochet mags, and have been so dissappointed. So I would like all your opinions, I think I just ordered the "Crcochet" one, I do not like Crochet World, yes sometimes great patterns others times, all baby stuff and animals,I actually do not think there is one that will please us all, all the time, but sure would be nice. So please tell us all, which ones we think and Why they are great or not so great. :cheer

What types of things do you like to make? A little bit of everything? Hip clothing? Mostly threadwork? I think it really depends. :)

I don't sub to any of them because I never like that much in all of them.

I just flip through them at the store and get the ones I like. Although I am thinking of subbing to Crochet World because it does tend to have more things in it I might make and it's the one I buy the most of.

I get Crochet World and Crochet! I like both of them. What is interesting is that I may not be particularily interested in what is in them....then a few weeks or months later I will look back through them and want to make something.

I love :manyheart Interweave, the patterns are so different. I get Crochet! and Crochet World (been published in that one a few times).

I like the Better Homes and Gardens Simply Creative Crochet Magazines. The only come out once a year, and they have some neat projects.

I liked the first Interweave Knits Crochet mag, and I'm looking forward to the next one.

Also, if you like doilies and threadwork, Magic Crochet is pretty good too I learned symbol crochet from that magazine.

Vera

I was getting ready to ask the same question. I've enjoyed Annie's Favorite crochet, Womans Day Quick and Easy Knitting and Crochet and Crochet Magazine. I like to have a Magazine with a Variety of things in it to choose from:hook . I was wondering what other Magazines were out there that I had not heard of ...:think

Lisa

• 2 weeks later...
I just recieved an offer for Hooked on Crochet magazine. Is anyone familiar with that magazine? I don't see it mentioned by anyone. I not into thread and not up to anything too difficult. Colleen

Hooked On Crochet is a small, digest-size magazine. Great for slipping in your crochet tote to carry around. It's OK. Has a variety of patterns (thread & yarn) whereas Magic Crochet focuses mainly on thread and most others on yarn. I have no complaints about it. My main complaint is about all crochet magazines, their patterns aren't as up-to-date as knitting magazines and there aren't that many really cute crochet patterns. Where are all the designers??? :knit

My main complaint is about all crochet magazines, their patterns aren't as up-to-date as knitting magazines and there aren't that many really cute crochet patterns. Where are all the designers??? :knit

Yeah, we need Vogue Crochet. Interweave Crochet year-round. ;)

Make up a really great pattern! Design! We're the designers, dangit! :)

I was thinking about this last night going through one of my crocheted sweater books. Why are things so outdated and bulky and icky? They really don't have to be... Josi's patterns aren't outdated.

I buy Crochet Fantasy (that's not a very good page; I don't know what this "resumed publication" nonsense is, I've been buying it for a couple of years now) without looking, and Crochet! on the same basis. Those are the only two I buy without flipping through them. I also frequently buy Annie's Favorite Crochet & Hooked on Crochet, but only after checking the patterns. I have also been known to buy knitting magazines a) for the crochet patterns and b) for inspiration to make my own patterns.

I buy Crochet Fantasy (that's not a very good page; I don't know what this "resumed publication" nonsense is, I've been buying it for a couple of years now) without looking, and Crochet! on the same basis.

Crochet Fantasy has recently resumed publication. It went under and was bought by another publishing company who has changed the format up slightly, plus it will only be published quarterly instead of every two months.

I was thinking about this last night going through one of my crocheted sweater books. Why are things so outdated and bulky and icky? They really don't have to be... Josi's patterns aren't outdated.

Even though this thread is about magazine and not books, I have high hopes for Melissa Leapman's new book, Cool Crochet if the cover photo is any indication of what the projects will look like.

I just received my Simply Creative Crochet magazine...I ordered it off the LB site. I am so in love with the patterns. They are more for cooler weather though. There are jackets and a wrap, a poncho or 2 (can't remember) a couple things for kids....but the jackets are so so pretty. I think there is a purse and a bag pattern. I really am happy with it although a lot of the things in there are for cooler weather.

Thanks for all the great links and suggestions. I got a lot of ideas from this thread! :idea

:book Raquel

What the??? :think:think How come we never see THESE in mags????? And here's another great designer: Knot Just Knits

Where are the mags to focus on these kinds of designs? Don't get me wrong, I'm as much a fan of blankies and toys as anyone, but why do knitters get to have all the fun????

Sara

I am sooo with you on that one! So far the only bonafide crochet magazine that even comes close is Crochet! and as much as I like it, I feel it still has a long way to go to match up with the quality and selection of patterns you see in the knitting magazines. I know it can be done, as the Interweave Knits crochet magazine showed, so why the heck don't they do it?

Part of the reason, I'm sure, is the lack of financial backing from the yarn companies. I started a thread about that a few weeks ago, called "What is it with the yarn companies?". My complaint was that they seem to only advertise their cool fancy yarns in the knitting magazines. From the responses on the thread, I'm not the only one seriously irked by the obvious bias toward knitting. The argument is that crocheters are seen as, um, let's just say frugal in their yarn spending habits, supposedly preferring to buy only RHSS while knitters prefer the pricier stuff. While there may or may not be some truth to that assumption, I think if they researched it a bit more, they'd find that there's a HUGE market among crocheters for the good yarns too - if there were more patterns available to use it on.

I have LaVonne's and Josi's patterns on my wishlist, and I know that I will get them eventually, even if I end up RAOKing myself (once I can sneak 'em into the budget), because this is the kind of stuff I really like. And I do have to agree with xantha too - we can be the designers we seek and aren't finding in our crochet magazines! There's certainly plenty of talent on this board!

I started a thread yesterday...or the day before called "knitting vs. crochet". Of course, I cant remember where it is now.

Anyway, it was prompted by my latest issue of "Hooked on Crochet" and your thread about yarn companies. I have decided to give as much of my business as I can to those companies that advertise in crochet mags (Fiber Trends is one that comes to mind...there's another one I can't remember right now :blush) Also, the editors/marketing departments of these mags have an obligation to approach yarn companies about advertising in their mags.

I get very frustrated as well about this issue. It's not that we are "frugal", crochet does require more yardage for the same project. A crochet sweater will require more yards of yarn. For that reason alone, yarn companies should be buttering us up and kissing our fannies. :devil Since more yarn is required, we do have to pay closer attention to price. That does not mean we are willing to purchase crap.

Sara

I started a thread yesterday...or the day before called "knitting vs. crochet". Of course, I cant remember where it is now.

Sara

Here's the link to Sara's 'knitting vs. crochet' post.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6340

And my response to those posts.

The best ones are indeed interweave knit crochet and better home and gardens simply crochet and crochet....especially if you like fashion and accessories!

I have three projects started from each of them...they were too exciting not to work on..the salon caplet from interweave....the front cover car coat in BHG and the pinapple duster from crochet.....will get them all finished ...eventually:blush

I like Crochet! and Crochet Fantasy. I am mostly interested in sweaters, shawls, and ponchos, and these have the most and nicest garments, imho. I also like Crochet World, and the Easy Knitting plus Crochet and a couple new ones that did a test run last winter.

Archived